Rebuild conversation # 172

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Z can pretty realistically hit 1000 points eh? Lets say he finishes the year on the same pace he is on now with 58 points. He'll only need 38 points next season to hit 1000.

The biggest thing will be staying healthy, which he has been able to do uncharacteristically well recently

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Z can pretty realistically hit 1000 points eh? Lets say he finishes the year on the same pace he is on now with 58 points. He'll only need 38 points next season to hit 1000.

The biggest thing will be staying healthy, which he has been able to do uncharacteristically well recently

If not for two lockouts he'd already be there. Z seemed to be banged up often, but he only missed a significant chunk of games once. He played 60-ish games a couple of times, but he was almost always playing 70+ games, plus the playoffs. Guy was a warrior, and he kept his production going despite being banged up.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If not for two lockouts he'd already be there. Z seemed to be banged up often, but he only missed a significant chunk of games once. He played 60-ish games a couple of times, but he was almost always playing 70+ games, plus the playoffs. Guy was a warrior, and he kept his production going despite being banged up.

Slight correction. Zetterberg IS a warrior, not was! :)

Reactions: Red Stanley

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Not good.
2 more points tonight.
Rangers are skidding.
Carolina loses.
At least Vancouver won.

The Wings are 6 points behind the NYR for the last wildcard spot with 2 games in hand.

The rest of January is VERY soft.
Nobody between Detroit and the Rangers are playing well.

The scary thing is, even if the Wings fall, are there any teams out there who really need Mike Green?
Looking around the NHL, what teams are so f***ing close that it's worth trading away a first round pick for Green? The list seems to be shrinking by the week.

Reactions: mjtm777

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit is currently 8 points behind Pittsburgh, with 2 games in hand. Based on points per game played, the Wings are on pace to finish 11 points out of the Wild Card (80 vs 91).

While nobody in the middle of the Eastern Conference standings is setting the league on fire, there are likely too many teams to climb past before the trade deadline. Which should lead to selling Green. Which should widen the gap between Detroit and the field.

Realistically, I think their path is already set, barring a statistically unlikely stretch of play (both Detroit winning and several others losing). But over half a season of .500 hockey is a pretty good indicator that the current roster isn't about to start tearing it up, at least not with any consistency.

EDIT: For perspective, based on the percentage of their current points coming from losses in OT or the shootout (and then adding one, since otherwise they'd need one extra point from a win), the Wings would need to go 21-10-7 to make the Wild Card, assuming status quo for the rest of the East.

Last edited:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If anything they've overperformed so far, mainly due to strong goaltending and youngsters having a good year. There wasn't much doubt they'd miss again, but a question of how low they would finish.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2 straight losses dropped our playoff chances by 67%. They already were thin, now they are almost gone.

Most probably we end up being 5th worst team.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
My prediction is George McPhee will trade his 1st round pick and Jason Garrison (cap dump) for Mike Green and resign him before he comes a free agent.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Good news today for the tank.
Philadelphia defeats Washington.

But there's bad news, too. Carolina is losing 3-1 to Vegas.
Wings are 10 back of the Rangers for the last Wildcard spot, though Detroit has 2 games in hand.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Philly wins, but Detroit get a point.
Good news: Montreal wins. Pittsburgh wins. Vancouver wins.
Bad news: Carolina couldn't get a point. Florida lost. Rangers lost.
So Detroit is 9 points out - though we have 3 games in hand. There are also three teams between Detroit and Pittsburgh.
It wasn't much, but it was progress, I suppose.

Still, it's not quite so obviously bad that Ken Holland will see the writing on the wall and begin the sell off.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Team - Games - Points (Row)

22. CHI - 47 - 50 (22)
23. CAR - 48 - 50 (18)
24. DET - 47 - 46 (16)
25. MTL - 48 - 46 (18)
26. EDM - 48 - 45 (20)
27. FLA - 46 - 44 (17)
28. VAN - 48 - 44 (19)

Detroit sitting at 24. (8th overall spot)

Only Shitcago plays on Wednesday.

Ottawa has sucked itself away from the pack. For now.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Horvat returning from injury is good for our tank.
Thursday games
Carolina @ Montreal
Buffalo @ Vancouver

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's crazy how close the standings are. Every loss matters so much. Also If Chicago picks ahead of us ima be mad.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I’ve already made my peace with this season being a total waste, with the Wings ending up drafting 6-9th overall again. As long as clueless Kenny doesn’t spend to the cap again next season, the Wings should draft top three next season. This team is gonna be a massive dumpster fire next season with Green being gone. Then Zetterberg retires the following year and we should finally see 2-3 years of top three picks and hopefully a new core.

Reactions: TheMule93

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I’ve already made my peace with this season being a total waste, with the Wings ending up drafting 6-9th overall again. As long as clueless Kenny doesn’t spend to the cap again next season, the Wings should draft top three next season. This team is gonna be a massive dumpster fire next season with Green being gone. Then Zetterberg retires the following year and we should finally see 2-3 years of top three picks and hopefully a new core.
Yeah, this will go down as a missed opportunity. I know Holland wanted playoff hockey in the new arena above all else but it was obvious this team was not good in any way, shape or form. I wanted to trade Green before the start of the season however I understand that would have been difficult. We’ll get a good player with our draft pick, I just hope we don’t try to outsmart everyone and draft another Rasmussen like prospect.

The big question.is whether Holland runs the draft. Gotta be honest and admit I’d prefer he didn’t. Our drafting has largely been uninspiring over the past 10 years.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Right now Detroit would draft 10th overall unless they win the lottery.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I’m seeing some Holland dialogue trying to be entered into this thread by the usual suspects.

Please f@ck off with that.

Thanks.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah, this will go down as a missed opportunity. I know Holland wanted playoff hockey in the new arena above all else but it was obvious this team was not good in any way, shape or form. I wanted to trade Green before the start of the season however I understand that would have been difficult. We’ll get a good player with our draft pick, I just hope we don’t try to outsmart everyone and draft another Rasmussen like prospect.

The big question.is whether Holland runs the draft. Gotta be honest and admit I’d prefer he didn’t. Our drafting has largely been uninspiring over the past 10 years.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm also tired of the lousy development of the players we do end up drafting. I wonder sometimes if it's more the bad drafting, the bad development, or both. Whomever it is doing the drafting, I hope they see that this team needs help mostly down the middle. Rasmussen isn't the guy I would have picked, but at least Kenny picked the right position to draft. This draft year is deep (mostly D-men), especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hopefully, with our extra pick we get a good player. At this point, I'm anxious just to get someone who can play relatively soon. Which is another knock I have with Holland--over-ripened players that have no developmental/resultant return.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm also tired of the lousy development of the players we do end up drafting. I wonder sometimes if it's more the bad drafting, the bad development, or both. Whomever it is doing the drafting, I hope they see that this team needs help mostly down the middle. Rasmussen isn't the guy I would have picked, but at least Kenny picked the right position to draft. This draft year is deep (mostly D-men), especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hopefully, with our extra pick we get a good player. At this point, I'm anxious just to get someone who can play relatively soon. Which is another knock I have with Holland--over-ripened players that have no developmental/resultant return.
Since Holland doesn't have a contract it's relevant to wonder if he will be responsible for what could be our best draft pick in decades. Boqvist would be pretty great if we assume our odds of drafting Dahlin are too low to be more than a pipe dream.

Sending Green to Tampa if you can make the cap number work for the Bolts would be nice. Give Stevie a chance to finish business there and help Detroit both tank the rest of the way and give us another 1st rounder in a deep draft. :yo:

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
To all of you "tank" fans, have the examples of Buffalo, Edmonton, and Arizona taught you nothing? How long are you willing to be irrelevant and don't you understand that 1-2 high picks give you absolutely nothing in terms of the overall quality and competitiveness of your team? I guess you do not understand that.

Reactions: MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Outside of Larkin, AA, Mantha, and Bertuzzi, I don't have much faith in where this team is going. As far as I'm concerned, anybody outside those 4 are tradable. Having said that... this team could use more players like Bertuzzi. I've been saying that for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad