Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think Reaves will do well in Vegas, and I think we'll need some toughness come playofffs.

Are the Penguins or Bruins worried about not being tough enough in the playoffs? What about the Predators? Toughness and grit are just descriptions for players who aren't skilled, but somehow keep their jobs in the new NHL.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Are the Penguins or Bruins worried about not being tough enough in the playoffs? What about the Predators? Toughness and grit are just descriptions for players who aren't skilled, but somehow keep their jobs in the new NHL.

We'll see what people think of toughness when Fleury and Karlsson etc are getting run over by the opposition. As has been said, playoff hockey is quite different.

Reactions: Chiripa20

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
We'll see what people think of toughness when Fleury and Karlsson etc are getting run over by the opposition. As has been said, playoff hockey is quite different.
Sure but we have to make our team worse to put him in the line up.... It's subtraction by addition.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think "getting bigger" with lower skill guys to add grit is the trend for success in the NHL and I don't think that fits us or what we need to help in the playoffs.

Dont really think Reaves ends up helping the team at all. Took up cap space and a retention slot and gave up Lindberg for a 4th and a mostly useless player for us.

Reactions: hangman005

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I hope Reaves is playing in chicago. The 4th line is great. It doesn't need a change. Maybe Hyka can help the 3rd line, but we need to replace Eakin. LOL at idiots thinking a 4th line goon is the key to every cup winner. Besides the kings, goons weren't needed on other cup winners. Derek and McNabb is all the tough guys we need. If a goon is needed to win, then why aren't the Oilers kicking ass this year as they got the ultimate fighter in Looch.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think "getting bigger" with lower skill guys to add grit is the trend for success in the NHL and I don't think that fits us or what we need to help in the playoffs.

Dont really think Reaves ends up helping the team at all. Took up cap space and a retention slot and gave up Lindberg for a 4th and a mostly useless player for us.

Exactly I say keep adding speed and skill, let the NHL penalize and suspend players taking liberties. Checking and hitting is not how you win these days, in fact the teams that hit the least are winning more.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I still don't see where Reaves fits in.

Nosek-Pebbles-Carpenter is great and shouldn't be changed.

Tuch and Hyka look like they should be the 3rd line forwards with Eakin dragging them down a bit, but I was hoping Perri would get a shot to show if he could take Eakins job.

So where do we play the goon? We still have Carrier and Lindberg and I'm sure someone else I'm forgetting about. This deal really makes no sense. Even other fan bases think we lost. I highly doubt the preds or the Jets were after brassard. 3rd line center the last thing those teams need. We were the ones that needed an upgrade to the 3c.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I still don't see where Reaves fits in.

Nosek-Pebbles-Carpenter is great and shouldn't be changed.

Tuch and Hyka look like they should be the 3rd line forwards with Eakin dragging them down a bit, but I was hoping Perri would get a shot to show if he could take Eakins job.

So where do we play the goon? We still have Carrier and Lindberg and I'm sure someone else I'm forgetting about. This deal really makes no sense. Even other fan bases think we lost. I highly doubt the preds or the Jets were after brassard. 3rd line center the last thing those teams need. We were the ones that needed an upgrade to the 3c.

Jets were definitely after Brassard and will still go after a 3C, maybe Nash. Go look at their roster, the center position is very weak at 3C/4C. The Preds are probably the lone team that isn't going after anything with Fisher back. I think we all agree Eakin should be vulnerable, but that contract makes him unmovable. Up to the staff to make the best of it with him. My guess is once the roster limit goes away next week Pirri gets called up for at least a stint.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Jets were definitely after Brassard and will still go after a 3C, maybe Nash. Go look at their roster, the center position is very weak at 3C/4C. The Preds are probably the lone team that isn't going after anything with Fisher back. I think we all agree Eakin should be vulnerable, but that contract makes him unmovable. Up to the staff to make the best of it with him. My guess is once the roster limit goes away next week Pirri gets called up for at least a stint.

Nash is suddenly going to learn how to play center? Or are you saying they need a winger and a 3c? Jets still look to have one of the best young cores in the league. I'd trade their roster for ours if given a choice. Why even bother with cblocking the jets? Unless they are a wildcard team which seems unlikely, we'd face them in the WCF at earliest. Making the Pens better makes everyone's title hopes worse. If vegas wants to win a cup in their first season, then they helped the wrong team. The jets with Brassard is nothing close to Brassard on the Pens.

I can't see Reaves on any line unless someone is hurt. Even our anemic 3rd line could be getting a boost by just using players we have internally and Reaves would only make that line worse. I see Reaves as someone who will play only if absolutely needed. We don't need a fighter. We have a few guys who can bang if required. There's still time to trade him for a 7th rounder. Maybe the blues would take him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not that down on Eakin tbh. I have faith he'll be quite good in his own end with all the little things you need to win tough playoff games, and if he isn't, it'll get done by committee with guys like Haula, Pebs, Lindberg, Nosek etc coming up big with defensive zone responsibilities. Lindberg was pretty good in the playoffs for the Rangers as a C.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As a playoff team and an expansion team it's a win-win deal:

Get an experienced depth role player the team lacks and a draft pick for... a 22 year old who was drafted for scoring but hasn't since, languishing 9th/10th on the AHL team.

reaves.0.jpg

I like Ryan Reaves as a 13th forward we could dress when needed. He works hard, hits more than any Knight and he fights when the team needs it. Do we want McNabb to scrap when the opposition engages in dirty play? Wouldn't it be nice to have the 12th dressed forward taking a Nashville player to the box rather than a valuable starter having to step up? We certainly don't want Neal trying to retaliate like he did against Dallas.

The playoffs can get nasty and every team needs to be prepared for some fighting at times. Going into the playoffs, it's nice to have that option.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
As a playoff team and an expansion team it's a win-win deal:

Get an experienced depth role player the team lacks and a draft pick for... a 22 year old who was drafted for scoring but hasn't since, languishing 9th/10th on the AHL team.

reaves.0.jpg

I like Ryan Reaves as a 13th forward we could dress when needed. He works hard, hits more than any Knight and he fights when the team needs it. Do we want McNabb to scrap when the opposition engages in dirty play? Wouldn't it be nice to have the 12th dressed forward taking a Nashville player to the box rather than a valuable starter having to step up? We certainly don't want Neal trying to retaliate like he did against Dallas.

The playoffs can get nasty and every team needs to be prepared for some fighting at times. Going into the playoffs, it's nice to have that option.

The problem with that, is to have any value he would have to take an opposing player to the box everytime he is on the ice... if he isn't doing that, he's is taking up a spot on the bench from a player who actually makes our team better. We already have players who fight when they need to, we don't need a player who will fight for the sake of fighting. In my eyes we lost this trade, because I have several players ahead of Reaves for our 13th forward.

Quite honestly I prefer the cap space and retention spot more than what we got out of this trade.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He bodychecks hard (hits) more times a game in under 7 minutes of ice time than any Knight. That is not useless. He would be dressed only when the coach deems him needed and his physical banging alone brings energy to a game. He's not a liability.

canadiens_blues_hockey_220417062.jpg

Cap space is a nonstarter, unless the team trades up to the cap ceiling before the trade deadline. He's a playoff rental, a tool in the toolbox that may or may not be used but is sometimes looked for.

Last edited:

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
As a Kings fan for many years, I saw firsthand how important "tough guys" can be in winning a Stanley Cup. Our 2012 team backed into the playoffs as an 8th seed. We had guys like Kyle Clifford, Colin Fraser & Matt Greene in our lineup. Guys that aren't going to score a ton. But, during the playoffs, they all played important roles for us to get by the top 3 seeds and into the Finals, where we knocked off the Devils.

Reaves has 4 goals on the year, including one against Flower. Who's to say he can't be an important asset to help the Knights run the table this year?

Stranger things have happened.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
He bodychecks hard (hits) more times in under 7 minutes of ice time than any Knight. That is not useless. He would be dressed only when the coach deems him needed and his physical banging alone brings energy to a game. He's not a liability.

Cap space is a nonstarter, unless the team trades up to the cap ceiling before the trade deadline. He's a playoff rental, a tool in the toolbox that may or may not be used but is sometimes looked for.

Hit's can be nice, and if we actually had a checking line for him to be on it wouldn't be such a problem, but his a 4th line player and our 4th line brings plenty of energy to the game, because they fit together. For the sake of getting more hits, Gallant would have to drastically shorten the bench because the 4th line would become a mess with two energy players and a human wrecking ball. We don't have the traditional west coast hockey team, and it's served as well this far.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
So what, the guy will play 6 or 7 minutes a game. The other wingers will roll the extra minutes and he'll be the big dog that has to protect his players. I'm sure you guys watch playoff games, so you'll agree that our talent guys will be mercilessly abused in a 7 game series. You guys are making too much of this. GMGM has had pretty good instincts so far, I trust this move.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

I didn't realize the hawks and pens gooned their way to titles. The kings, sure you can use them as an example, but everyone is going away from that style. Even Boston isn't playing goon hockey to win games. Marchand is an agitator and not a goon that Reaves is.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
As a Kings fan for many years, I saw firsthand how important "tough guys" can be in winning a Stanley Cup. Our 2012 team backed into the playoffs as an 8th seed. We had guys like Kyle Clifford, Colin Fraser & Matt Greene in our lineup. Guys that aren't going to score a ton. But, during the playoffs, they all played important roles for us to get by the top 3 seeds and into the Finals, where we knocked off the Devils.

Reaves has 4 goals on the year, including one against Flower. Who's to say he can't be an important asset to help the Knights run the table this year?

Stranger things have happened.

Goon hockey is dead. The quicker your kings realize that the quicker they can rebuild.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
So what, the guy will play 6 or 7 minutes a game. The other wingers will roll the extra minutes and he'll be the big dog that has to protect his players. I'm sure you guys watch playoff games, so you'll agree that our talent guys will be mercilessly abused in a 7 game series. You guys are making too much of this. GMGM has had pretty good instincts so far, I trust this move.

Wait. So we have to double shift another forward in once in awhile just to get this goon in the game? Ask caps fans about GMGM's instincts. Let's see how vgk is after 5 years. Lots of teams have a great season then end up with a lottery pick the next year. Too many people are giving GMGM too much credit. Sure he fleeced some teams, but can he build a title team? Or is he destined to build teams that only win in the regular season?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If hits were important, why the current team leaders look like this?

Hits Per Game
:amazed: 4th is the Stanley Cup champion, 3rd and tied for 4th are teams in OUR division (Anaheim in playoff position and LA just one point out with a game in hand)!

Yeah, in a 31-team league, that list you provide is SIGNIFICANT for us!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad