Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I expect McPhee to do this one more time holding another players salary for picks. We have one more spot and plenty of cap.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm certain he would love to have to deal with the consequences of helping the Penguins in the finals. Reaves is crap makes no sense in the lineup, maybe he's thinking it's gives Carrier competition. Part I'm most bummed about is I was hoping he dumped the other Lindberg.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Awful deal. Reaves doesn't play the speed game. Are we going to build a line out of grinder/goon type players? I seriously don't know why teams keep helping the pens. Ottawa could have gotten more for Brassard. But if it doesn't work out, we can always put Reaves in the press box and gain more weight eating tmobile food. 3rd line center is where we needed help.

I still want a 3rd line center to replace Eakin. Who knows how long this window will be open. I know most vgk fans think this window is wide open for years to come, but is it really going to be open for a long time? Many teams have great seasons then crap the bed the next. We have almost every player having career years. Can then even come close next year to put out the same production or improve?

Just because the future looks bright, we could easily suck next year too. Look at the sens. They were a goal away from making the finals and now they are selling whoever they can. When you have a championship window, you take it. I would have given up Suzuki, a 1st, and another player/prospect for Brassard. We would have been unstoppable. Pens are forcing the bolts to make an overpay trade now. I can't stand seeing the pens keep winning. I hate how teams will hand other teams titles with these types of trades..

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
apparently Mcphee wanted to keep Brassard in the eastern conference...

That makes no sense unless another western contender was after Brassard, but I don't see any team in the west needing a 3rd line center except for VGK. I would have traded suzuki, a 1st, and one of the extra 2nds in 2019. We would truly be rolling 3 lines if we got him. GMGM is going to end up for a bargain bin 3rd line center that is marginally better than Eakin who is downright awful. We didn't need a fighter/goon player. It's not as if the oilers were going to make the playoffs and we wanted someone to take on Looch.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Awful deal. Reaves doesn't play the speed game. Are we going to build a line out of grinder/goon type players? I seriously don't know why teams keep helping the pens. Ottawa could have gotten more for Brassard. But if it doesn't work out, we can always put Reaves in the press box and gain more weight eating tmobile food. 3rd line center is where we needed help.

I still want a 3rd line center to replace Eakin. Who knows how long this window will be open. I know most vgk fans think this window is wide open for years to come, but is it really going to be open for a long time? Many teams have great seasons then crap the bed the next. We have almost every player having career years. Can then even come close next year to put out the same production or improve?

Just because the future looks bright, we could easily suck next year too. Look at the sens. They were a goal away from making the finals and now they are selling whoever they can. When you have a championship window, you take it. I would have given up Suzuki, a 1st, and another player/prospect for Brassard. We would have been unstoppable. Pens are forcing the bolts to make an overpay trade now. I can't stand seeing the pens keep winning. I hate how teams will hand other teams titles with these types of trades..

Damn chill. Its an early move selling cap space for a pick. That 4th could turn into something in this underwhelming trade market so far. Now that I see Reaves is a UFA I can see a possibility he never plays other than in an emergency because he is a terrible fit.

Reactions: Chiripa20

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I expect McPhee to do this one more time holding another players salary for picks. We have one more spot and plenty of cap.

Eating cap was back when the team were sellers. There's a lot of good players to re-sign, and a chunk of that space should be used to get a top 4 dman. Maybe everyone takes a discount, and there's still 12m to play with, but I wouldn't chance it.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Eating cap was back when the team were sellers. There's a lot of good players to re-sign, and a chunk of that space should be used to get a top 4 dman. Maybe everyone takes a discount, and there's still 12m to play with, but I wouldn't chance it.

I think you're not understanding how the cap works. Reaves is UFA and Brassard's hit is gone, so this has zero impact on the future cap. If anyone gets a new deal on the team it kicks in later. As for this year the salary is pro-rated so whatever a players cap hit, just assume you have to pay for only a fourth of it so the Knights can afford anyone in a trade right now.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think you're not understanding how the cap works. Reaves is UFA and Brassard's hit is gone, so this has zero impact on the future cap. If anyone gets a new deal on the team it kicks in later. As for this year the salary is pro-rated so whatever a players cap hit, just assume you have to pay for only a fourth of it so the Knights can afford anyone in a trade right now.

Incorrect. Vegas retains on Brassard's cap next year. When you retain, you do so for the duration of the contract.

and I know the gist of how the salary cap works.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Damn chill. Its an early move selling cap space for a pick. That 4th could turn into something in this underwhelming trade market so far. Now that I see Reaves is a UFA I can see a possibility he never plays other than in an emergency because he is a terrible fit.

A measly 4th round pick isn't worth it. Getting a 2nd or 3rd to help Pittsburgh out should have been what we asked for and if not then walk away. I love these new fans to hockey that hasn't seen these guys play. I've seen Reaves play a lot in St Louis and he does not fit in at all with VGK style. Keep Hyka up and the 3rd line and trade for a 3rd line center and maybe a dman move.

Everyone is having cateer years and we need to take advantage of this season. The window could easily close if half the team plays to their career norms. When you have a team that is currently having a cup title type of run you go for it. Pens are the ones that knows what it takes. GMGM made great moves building this team but he has zero history of improving his team's at the trade deadline. If anything, he's got one of the worst deadline reps for the forsberg trade.

Read the trade thread. Everyone is laughing at us for not getting more in a pick and for taking on an unneeded player.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
A measly 4th round pick isn't worth it. Getting a 2nd or 3rd to help Pittsburgh out should have been what we asked for and if not then walk away. I love these new fans to hockey that hasn't seen these guys play. I've seen Reaves play a lot in St Louis and he does not fit in at all with VGK style. Keep Hyka up and the 3rd line and trade for a 3rd line center and maybe a dman move.

Everyone is having cateer years and we need to take advantage of this season. The window could easily close if half the team plays to their career norms. When you have a team that is currently having a cup title type of run you go for it. Pens are the ones that knows what it takes. GMGM made great moves building this team but he has zero history of improving his team's at the trade deadline. If anything, he's got one of the worst deadline reps for the forsberg trade.

I think we all agree with you on Reaves, I know exactly what he is from his time with the Blues. Time will tell if he gets any real playing time. But really this wasn't a trade to do anything for the team this year or next. If GMGM is going to make a move to make the team better its still to come.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So given that Vegas doesn't care about the cap space, the trade breaks down to:

Vegas gives up:
  • $1,784,946 in "cash" **
  • LW prospect Tobias Lindberg
Vegas gets:
  • RW Ryan Reaves
  • Vancouver's 2018 4th round pick
  • reportedly blocks Brassard trade to Winnipeg

** Vegas isn't actually trading a suitcase of cash, but they're taking on the obligation to pay that amount of Brassard's contract this year and next.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think we all agree with you on Reaves, I know exactly what he is from his time with the Blues. Time will tell if he gets any real playing time. But really this wasn't a trade to do anything for the team this year or next. If GMGM is going to make a move to make the team better its still to come.

I'll agree with you that this isn't the trade that pushes us further. But a 4th rounder is terrible compensation. If this was the NFL then 4th rounders are valuable. It's rare for a 4th rounder to ever make the league and even if they do it's typically a bottom 6 or bottom line dman pairing type of guy.

Hyka is looking pretty good. That's why I wanted him and Perri to get some chances and see if we could make the 3rd or 4th line better. I think the 4th line is set, but that 3rd line needs a boost.

People are saying we can't win because we have no true star forwards or dman so we really have to be able to roll 4 strong lines out there. Brassard and Grab were two guys I really wanted and both are now gone.

GMGM still can make moves. As a expos/Nationals blogger I know lots of caps fans and they all say that GMGM is awful at deadline moves. I hope he's learned his lesson and reflected on all of the mistakes he's made in the past. So far he's done a great job but this trade wasn't needed. A 4th liner will most likely be a minor league player. I'd be happy if he can flip Reaves for any type of pick right now if they want to just build a farm system with enough players to have our own ahl team as the wolves deal sucks. We badly need our own ahl team and one closer to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad