• Gardiner/Zaitsev

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Rielly/Hainsey

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Babcock and the coaching staff

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Andersen

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • The teams that we have played are bad teams/had bad games.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Aliens

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Matthews has been the best center in the NHL (to this point).
Kadri has been the best 2nd line center in the NHL (to this point... yes even above Geno).

Strength down the middle clearly makes a difference

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Depth. They have three legit scoring lines (sometimes four) and a slightly deeper D. Freddy starting the season healthy obviously helps.

NJDraft

Feb 27, 2002
Teams aren't coming to play yet--that's their problem-- and Leafs are breaking down standard defenses. Have TML not played hard yet? IDTS.

Reactions: crump

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
10 points in 6 games? If they were to continue this pace they would have 135 points ... that's kinda good, isn't zit?

I think what Zeke is trying to say is that when Leafs get warmed up and start playing as good as we know they can, they’re going to be awarded 3pts per win instead of 2.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Teams aren't coming to play yet--that's their problem-- and Leafs are breaking down standard defenses. Have TML not played hard yet? IDTS.
Wise words. I caution people and ask that you consult your inner 18 wheeler and ask yourself. Is this sustainable?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
****loads of talent. Matthews is unreal, and he's surrounded by a tonne very good players. Having a great coach helps too, but really, the players on this team are just damn good. So much fun to watch!

I knew he was great, I knew he could shoot, pass but the 2 things that impresses me the most is how the puck stick to his stick during takeaways and how he is always in a good defensive posture. The guy is as a complete #1 Center as anyone in this league.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We trounce them in the first period.
Rest during middle 20 minutes
And finish them off in the third.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wise words. I caution people and ask that you consult your inner 18 wheeler and ask yourself. Is this sustainable?

well that's more of a @zeke or an @Cor or a @Pi question.

from what I am seeing - if the question is "is the offense sustainable"
answer. yes. I mean will we score 4 goals on 5 shots all the time - no - but we can average 5 goals a game, didn't we do that last year with ease?

our powerplay and penalty kill In seven game - is exactly where they were by the end of last season 2nd PP, 8th in PK
the goalie's numbers (In October) is BETTER than they were last year - and yet still sub 900. (so that's a wash and we know that's going to get better).

the team has shown down the stretch they can at least get a point in close games and this year they are showing they can win them.

so we are asking if something is sustainable on a deeper metric - those 3 are the better ones to ask, but I think we're just picking up where we left off - and everything most people have said (ie: we close out games, we're better for it) - is coming to fruition.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

The Leafs scoring nearly 5 goals a game? Definitely not sustainable. SH% is very high right now, especially after last night but we know that the Leafs are an above average team offensively so they will have a higher SH% than most teams in the league after 82 games.

The Leafs SV% is also not sustainable. It's actually more unsustainable than our SH% IMO which is a good thing for us.

We score a lot of goals but anyone could have known that if they just had one glance at our lineup. What most don't realize is that the Leafs are actually playing well defensively as well. Our top four has done a really good job...Gardiner looks like the weakest link right now and we know how good he can be when he's on his game.

Leafs are giving up 3.14 GA/GP at the moment, I fully expect them to be closer to ~2.6-2.65 GA/GP. That's a top ~12 or so defense in the league along with a top 5 offense (and that is being humble).

We aren't going to be a .850 team because this is not basketball, that is not sustainable over 82 games but the hockey we're playing is entirely sustainable.

We are the NHL version of the Golden State Warriors though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

is our 141 pt pace sustainable? no.

Is being an elite top-5 team sustainable? all the metrics say yes.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
we've been scoring in bunches. Even with 3 good lines we can't keep this up. Our PP has been hot. Also guys will figure out you can't slash hands anymore. But I have to agree we aren't playing the best we can yet, but neither are the other teams. Still it's good to get some points in our pocket so we aren't playing catchup later on in the year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It’s amazing how people, especially on the main board, are confusing the two.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we've been scoring in bunches. Even with 3 good lines we can't keep this up. Our PP has been hot. Also guys will figure out you can't slash hands anymore. But I have to agree we aren't playing the best we can yet, but neither are the other teams. Still it's good to get some points in our pocket so we aren't playing catchup later on in the year.

but we scored in bunches last year and our PP is exactly where it was last year.
why can't we keep it up?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think he means that the Leafs don't really have any stat that pops out as unsustainable.

Usually when a team gets hot they are riding a very high SV% or a SH% (our SH% will go down, it's higher than average at the moment, which is expected).

C'mon

"Unsustainable stat" is an insult to what the stats actually measure. Even the statisticians would tell you at this point in the season, the reliability of these "advanced" stats to predict outcomes of games is ridiculously small.

They have won hockey games. Banked points.

They have 25 different oppenents left to play.

Enjoy it without the calculator.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
One of the main reason for Leafs early success is this .....

On a team that is defensively challenged to keep pucks out of its own net, 3 X Maple Leafs sit at the top of the charts dominating at ES this year.

Plus/Minus Leaders 2017-18

1) Matthews .....Tor +10 +-/
1) Nylander..... Tor +10
1) Zaitsev ....... Tor +10
--------------------------------------
Everybody else.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/points/sort/plusMinus/year/2018/seasontype/2

PS. Its been a long time when this would have occurred.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They're not even especially hot, tbh.

Still the best answer IMO.

Agree with this too. I think it was after our season opener I said I expect us to be a top 10 team this season but I expect more now and top 5 sounds exactly right.

Like many of us, I said that our future was bright even as we were on our way to last place what seems like only a short time ago but now ... holy crap, so bright so soon, I may have to wear some eye protection when watching or run the risk of being blinded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad