Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maybe true - Bozak is a 48-50 point guy with limitations.... he's nothing that makes me jump up and down singing hallelujah, but tell me which looks better AND provides a chance to run out 4 lines:

Panarin-Foligno-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Dubois-Wennberg-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte (or Milano)
Or
Panarin-Bozak-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Wennberg-Anderson
Dubois-Sedlak-Calvert

Move the wings and centers up and down as you like (I stuck Bozak on the 1st, though he doesn't belong - but same can be said for the rest'- but I think the 2nd 4 pairings solve some depth issues, allow a four line roll, while getting Foligno back to wing.

While there's something to be said for letting the home grown players grow, no one is going to develop playing 5 or 6 minutes a night while on a foot long leash.

I definitely like the look of that second set of lines.. Lets do it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I mainly agree with this, but if there's a quality middle-six C available on an expiring deal, Jarmo would be crazy not to investigate. Of course, there's not a lot of guys who fit that description, especially with Turris off the market. Bozak's probably the best option and I don't know that I'd move much of value beyond draft picks for him.

I agree with that as well. But there seems to be a "we need to win it now" mentality happening here when we're just baaaarely cracking open that window. The air smells good though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree with that as well. But there seems to be a "we need to win it now" mentality happening here when we're just baaaarely cracking open that window. The air smells good though.

I think this is spot on. It's fair, though, that some (many? most?) are tired of waiting.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think this is spot on. It's fair, though, that some (many? most?) are tired of waiting.

Waiting for what though? To win the cup? They better get used to waiting...

Maybe my bar is too low, but I'm just happy CBJ are poised to consistently make the playoffs for the next 10+ years. That's a pretty tough place to get to in this league.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
What about Derek Stepan?I know he's new to Arizona, but I wonder if we could get him for futures.

Arizona should already be thinking past this season. Could probably get him for a Dman and pick. If the rumors are true that OEL could be shipped, they're better off tearing it down to the studs. Stepan wouldn't be in the time frame of the rebuild, and I doubt he can be too thrilled going from Madison Square Garden to the Gila Monster arena or whatever their barn is called.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Waiting for what though? To win the cup? They better get used to waiting...

Maybe my bar is too low, but I'm just happy CBJ are poised to consistently make the playoffs for the next 10+ years. That's a pretty tough place to get to in this league.

For the window you reference to be fully open. For "not next year."

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
For the window you reference to be fully open. For "not next year."

Ah, I understand. I guess I just get the sense that that "window" doesn't actually exist for some (many?) here. Or in other words, this whole thing is binary: either they suck or they win the cup.

That's how the GM should be thinking. I don't know why a fan would make themselves suffer that torment. The whole point is entertainment. I'm starting to think that some people actually get their entertainment by being a Debbie or a Nancy here.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ah, I understand. I guess I just get the sense that that "window" doesn't actually exist for some (many?) here. Or in other words, this whole thing is binary: either they suck or they win the cup.

That's how the GM should be thinking. I don't know why a fan would make themselves suffer that torment. The whole point is entertainment. I'm starting to think that some people actually get their entertainment by being a Debbie or a Nancy here.

I've been cautioning for a couple seasons now that Jarmo and JD are building toward something that's not as short-term as the fans might like, and that it won't necessarily be a linear progression to get there. Hell, Torts has basically been saying this. It remains to be seen if it bears fruit, but I can see them working.

All I'm saying is, a largely unfulfilling 16-or-however-many seasons plus a few recent bumps is likely to have people frustrated and uneasy and looking for solutions. I get that, and I'm sure you do too.

You may be right about people just having decided they're going to have a CBJ HF persona. Mine is that guy who's so damn funny.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I agree we are still a player or two away from really competing for the big prize. Can we trade for them or grow them organically? Hell I don't know. Throwing names, yes I want Tavares or Leon Draisatl. Could we get either? Probably not a chance in Hell. Am I ok with that? Absolutely, I get a great deal of enjoyment from the Blue Jackets. I do have very good feelings about Jarmo and believe that if he can pull something off that works for everyone he will do so. I also do not expect him to make any drastic moves or changes, & likely will not overpay.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Your nuts. Put Bozak against Crosby and the Dubi against Crosby and tell me who plays better.
Don’t know if you remember but we lost that series to the Pens with Duby on Crosby. I remember Duby cheapshotting him and stuff but thats about it. You can’t use that argument because Bozak would be playing with different players here.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What window if Cam walks this season, Artemi next and an aging Dubinsky/Foligno?

I don’t get why people here are so sure we will be good for a long time we could lose our two best offensive players in the next two seasons..

You know what might make them want to stay though, winning games and going deep into the playoffs. That’s why it’s win now mode.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What window if Cam walks this season, Artemi next and an aging Dubinsky/Foligno?

I don’t get why people here are so sure we will be good for a long time we could lose our two best offensive players in the next two seasons..

You know what might make them want to stay though, winning games and going deep into the playoffs. That’s why it’s win now mode.

The draft. Players gonna get old and move on. We got lots of good young guys on the team and in the system.

Ebbs and flows. Why is Tampa so much better this year?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying there aren't good trades to be made that would help the CBJ. I'm saying these Murray + Jenner + Milano + 2 firsts (hyperbole? Maybe) type things don't seem smart to me.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Problem is , we realistically have Panarin for 2 years , same with Bob . You put an all star type center line Duchene on this team , and they would legitimately be a threat for the cup this year .

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Don’t know if you remember but we lost that series to the Pens with Duby on Crosby. I remember Duby cheapshotting him and stuff but thats about it. You can’t use that argument because Bozak would be playing with different players here.
We didn't lose because Crosby he was nearly invisible Malki was doing it then Dubi moved to Malkin and same result. And nothing he did was cheap. Calvert cheap shotted a 4th line nobody but that's about the only cheap thing committed by this team. Playing hard and rough isn't cheap they aren't playing soccer out there. Guys like Dubi being able to shut down the best player over the last 20 years for a series then the 50 regular season points Bozaks top potential brings with 0 defense. Plus Dubi gets in the other teams head on top of that causing retaliation penalties.

People forget that we dominated the pens in every way possible except the end score sheet every game but 1. By basic box score or advanced stats and even the damn eye test. They would get dominated 50 minutes and then randomly get a soft one by Bob. We also did better against them then any other team did during the playoffs even though other teams went to game 7. There wasn't really nothing wrong with play style or team iced last year it was their goalie saved more then ours.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wasn’t Sam Reinhart rumored to be traded in the offseason , his start seems kind of slow but he’s had 2 really good seasons for a young center , and can also shoot the puck , 17 goals last season . 23 year before . He’s young , which fits our mo for bringing in pieces . He looks to be a tad below average on the faceoffs though .

For surely there are teams out there that have center depth , and need defensive help

Reactions: Cowumbus

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I still think Wennberg can get it done, he's just streaky. He's not perfect, but to me, he's a hell of a lot better than most of the reasonable fantasy trades mentioned. He just needs to get going.

Reactions: Monk

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
We didn't lose because Crosby he was nearly invisible Malki was doing it then Dubi moved to Malkin and same result. And nothing he did was cheap. Calvert cheap shotted a 4th line nobody but that's about the only cheap thing committed by this team. Playing hard and rough isn't cheap they aren't playing soccer out there. Guys like Dubi being able to shut down the best player over the last 20 years for a series then the 50 regular season points Bozaks top potential brings with 0 defense. Plus Dubi gets in the other teams head on top of that causing retaliation penalties.

People forget that we dominated the pens in every way possible except the end score sheet every game but 1. By basic box score or advanced stats and even the damn eye test. They would get dominated 50 minutes and then randomly get a soft one by Bob. We also did better against them then any other team did during the playoffs even though other teams went to game 7. There wasn't really nothing wrong with play style or team iced last year it was their goalie saved more then ours.

I'm sorry, but you can't lose to a team in five games and say you played better.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

The only way Cam walks is if we don't want him. He's one of the longest tenured guys here and one of the most respected by teammates, coaches, and the rest of the organization. But Cam isn't looking to leave as long as he gets a fair offer to stay OR someone over pays him by 1.5mil or more. He's likely to get a 6x6 ish deal as long as he finishes the year strong.

Panarin hasn't shown he's the offensive dynamo without Kane yet. Doing well point wise but we traded for him to score goals not secondary assists. If he walks after year 2 maybe it works out best for us to take that cap and use it elsewhere if the experiment fails. If he plays to his talent level we are winning games and making the playoffs easy. You make it seem like he isn't scoring because the C... he has had the opportunities he just hasn't buried them. Sometimes people get snakebit.

Dubi wouldn't be walking we would be letting him go. His play has been fine for me everywhere but scoring. Fine on the dot and still our best defensive C. Fligs also isn' going anywhere the guy is retiring a jacket unless some weird huge fallout happens.

So I'm not worried about losing anyone. Maybe Bob if he goes for a money grab but no we we go full MTL and kill our future to sign a 10mil goalie for over half a decade. But forward wise I'm not worried. There is UFA and trades that could happen of we do lose out but from within we have the guys to replace what we lose. Right now when everyone is healthy Motte is out and he's a great kid 6 guy and young. Abramov and Stenlund are going to be close or ready. We have always drafted well under Jarmo so we will likely have their replacements ready to develop when they get bumped like Tex can step into the A. Youth on the team currently with Bjorkstrand, Milano, Anderson, and PLD all seeing top line or top6 minutes. I mean that's a decent top 6 wing group as is with no vets if you do PLD/Anderson and Milano/Bjorkstrand.

At this point it' highly unlikely any C is going to be available. Duchene was the only option and we saw what was asked for from us. IMHO the Avs got a great deal for them depth wise but no BIG talent by making the deal they did but weren't willing to do that with us for whatever reason. They wanted a 1st, 2nd, Bjorkstrand and Carlson... You can't blame any GM for saying no to that he wasn' worth killing our depth to help 1 weakness that might fix itself if Wennberg can figure out what's wrong.

All that said Tavares is the only real choice I see before next season. If the isles fall to bottom 5 team with no hope in site I think he says he intends to leave to management and they take the highest bid. If they stay competitive we have to hope he sees Columbus as the contender we are.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm sorry, but you can't lose to a team in five games and say you played better.
They did though... one was an ot loss almost won but just BARELY hit the goalies helmet for the save and the game Werenski went down could have easily gone to us if they didn't swallow the whistle as Z nearly lost an eye. Listen to upper managemet and Torts tall about the series we dominated on paper all but 1 game. It was the closest 5 game series you will likely ever see because the outcome is very deceptive.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

You lost me after your first sentence...not because of your poor grammar, but because Crosby was anything but invisible. 7 points in 5 games. Dubinsky was not good in the playoffs, either. When he was moved off the Crosby matchup, Malkin and Kessel tore the team apart. But yeah, let's just stick to what you were saying.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"Realistic"?

Well, what player/players plus Dubi-Wennberg for center depth makes us able to "compete" with Crosby and Malkin?

What other teams center depth can currently "compete" with Crosby and Malkin?

Remember, us getting Barkov or Bergeron for Carlsson, Milano and pick 23 IS NOT "realistic". Let alone throwing in Stenlund and getting Huberdeau back too.

If you want a REAL upgrade on Wennberg you guys should be willing to accept that he very well may be a main piece going the other way.

Reactions: Monk

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Insider trading on TSN Lebrun and Dreger said that we're most upset about Duchene going to Ottawa, still looking for that top6 center or at least top6 forward, BOLD! Mention that Murray was in conversation with Colorado. Also say that's we are loaded on D and looking to trade that for C, but nowhere we're shopping Murray or want to trade him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad