Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Atkinson's a pending UFA and a winger no less. The value is a lot closer than you think (although I see one of your fellow fans believes he's Draisaitl; if that's not an isolated opinion I really regret ever posting on your board).
While that offer isn't enough for Draisaitl, the proposal clearly wasn't Atkinson straight across for Drai.

I'm open to Atkinson for RNH, but wouldn't add much despite Atkinson's contract status. Conditional first round pick that turns into a 2nd if Atkinson is re-signed. Certainly not adding a young roster defenseman.

If you insist on a defenseman for RNH, Ryan Murray is the logical choice.

Reactions: Viqsi

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
While that offer isn't enough for Draisaitl, the proposal clearly wasn't Atkinson straight across for Drai.

Atkinson is clearly the centerpiece, which doesn't fly.

I'm open to Atkinson for RNH, but wouldn't add much despite Atkinson's contract status. Conditional first round pick that turns into a 2nd if Atkinson is re-signed. Certainly not adding a young roster defenseman.

I didn't say "young" I said "regular". Want to toss us JJ? Sure. Just give us the chance to talk to both pending UFAs first.

If you insist on a defenseman for RNH, Ryan Murray is the logical choice.

I didn't insist on anything, and that's a lame offer.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Stuff like this right here is why the majority here can't take you or your opinions seriously.
Thanks for speaking for the group. You noticed the naughty emoticon, right.... Although from a stats standpoint, Wild Bill has had much more of an impact on his team, and his coach isn’t finding ways to bury him in the lineup:nod:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Atkinson is clearly the centerpiece, which doesn't fly.
I would argue that Carlsson and Atkinson have similar value for different reasons, so it's hard to say what the centerpiece is IMO. Carlsson and a 1st aren't scraps, those were the two main pieces Sakic was rumored to want in a Duchene trade. I understand we're talking about Drai and this is all basically moot, however.

I didn't say "young" I said "regular". Want to toss us JJ? Sure. Just give us the chance to talk to both pending UFAs first.
Admittedly I read "one of your regular defenseman" as "one of your young regular defenseman". My bad.

I would consider a package around Atkinson and JJ.

I didn't insist on anything, and that's a lame offer.
Ryan Murray is a quality defenseman whether people who don't watch him want to believe so or not. I wasn't saying straight up, just that if you're after a defenseman from us he is the logical choice.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
What is Atkinson's availability? If the Oilers had a chance to talk contract with him before a trade, I think he would check a lot of boxes. He and any one of your regular D would be the kind of package we'd want.
I'm assuming that regular D would be one of our top 2 guys and your guy wpuld be McDavid because sure as shit wouldn't get any of that for the bust that has been nuge.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Bozak for JJ
Bozak isn' better then our current Top 3 playing C. Fligs has been great. Dubi while not lighting up the points has had productive lines and is over 50% on the dot and he' not better then Wennberg. We just need to wait out the Sedlak injury and we will be fine for average C we don' need a Bozak taking roster spots from our home grown guys.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Atkinson's a pending UFA and a winger no less. The value is a lot closer than you think (although I see one of your fellow fans believes he's Draisaitl; if that's not an isolated opinion I really regret ever posting on your board).
Atkinson has improved every year he has been a pro. He is likely to resign and has been one of our most consistent scorers every year. Not to mention that Cam is one of the top teir wingers on the PK in the league. 0 chance he has less value then RNH. Hell habs turned down a deal in the offseason to send Galchenyuk to EDM for Nuge and that was from a EDM written I remember talking about it in the trade section.

Also that poster while not giving up enough for Dria didn't do so extremely low. Gave up a top 30 winger, a 1st, and a blue chip D prospect who has shown a great defensive game in every NHL appearance. He likely has a good shot at being a #2/3 defenseman within 5 years being an easy 4 now. Throw in 1 more high value piece and it's perfectly fair. A PLD to replace him. A 35g scoring elite PK winger, 2 blue chippers (1 being 19yo 1 year removed 3oa), and a 1st. Now you could say no and no one would blame you but to say that's a rip off or joke would be disingenuous.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Doubt he gets traded but if he becomes available, any interest in the aging but still producing, Henrik Zetterberg? Asking price could be steep. Still has a couple of years which could be a problem.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Doubt he gets traded but if he becomes available, any interest in the aging but still producing, Henrik Zetterberg? Asking price could be steep. Still has a couple of years which could be a problem.
I go Larkin before Zetterberg. The age plus contract aren't appealing at all. The guy is a great player but its.to big of a risk to pay a high value price plus end up with a broken down Henrik. He' had injury issues in the past as well. So if he came retained and reasonable yes. If not Larkin has the speed and shot we can use here. I wish the Caps were just pure shit to get Kuz or backstrom but instead they are both killing it. We desperately need a puckhandling passer. A Sedin style guy that can set up Panarin.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't believe there are any realistic trade options at the moment. That ship sailed when Duchene and Turris were traded. Teams don' trade really good C's unless there is an issue (Joey). Maybe Jarmo can pull something out of his hat but I doubt it.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Jarmo has to start thinking about Panarin, Jenner, Cam, Werenski, Bob on who stays, who goes and who gets what portion of the salary cap. This team is close, but needs a top line center. I would look at the Sedin brothers (package deal).

Daniel / Henrik / Panarin - solid top line.

Pro: Expiring contracts, skill, both played under Torts (Torts loves them BTW - mutual respect)
Cons: Expensive Cap hits (have to create space), Vancouver is winning, age

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jarmo has to start thinking about Panarin, Jenner, Cam, Werenski, Bob on who stays, who goes and who gets what portion of the salary cap. This team is close, but needs a top line center. I would look at the Sedin brothers (package deal).

Daniel / Henrik / Panarin - solid top line.

Pro: Expiring contracts, skill, both played under Torts (Torts loves them BTW - mutual respect)
Cons: Expensive Cap hits (have to create space), Vancouver is winning, age

I'm really, really content to let PLD and Stenlund develop and see what we got before we go trading away CBJ's future for the next old fart that doesn't pan out (again). Are we gonna win the Stanley Cup this year? Probably not. That's fine.

EDIT: Don't mean to be picking on this one post, just generally responding to the thread.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Bozak isn' better then our current Top 3 playing C. Fligs has been great. Dubi while not lighting up the points has had productive lines and is over 50% on the dot and he' not better then Wennberg. We just need to wait out the Sedlak injury and we will be fine for average C we don' need a Bozak taking roster spots from our home grown guys.

You’re wrong and blinded with hometown glasses. No point in discussing it further because I know you won’t chamge your stance. Bozak > Dubinsky and would fit much better with skilled guys such as Cam/Artemi.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe true - Bozak is a 48-50 point guy with limitations.... he's nothing that makes me jump up and down singing hallelujah, but tell me which looks better AND provides a chance to run out 4 lines:

Panarin-Foligno-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Dubois-Wennberg-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte (or Milano)
Or
Panarin-Bozak-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Wennberg-Anderson
Dubois-Sedlak-Calvert

Move the wings and centers up and down as you like (I stuck Bozak on the 1st, though he doesn't belong - but same can be said for the rest'- but I think the 2nd 4 pairings solve some depth issues, allow a four line roll, while getting Foligno back to wing.

While there's something to be said for letting the home grown players grow, no one is going to develop playing 5 or 6 minutes a night while on a foot long leash.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You’re wrong and blinded with hometown glasses. No point in discussing it further because I know you won’t chamge your stance. Bozak > Dubinsky and would fit much better with skilled guys such as Cam/Artemi.
Your nuts. Put Bozak against Crosby and the Dubi against Crosby and tell me who plays better.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'm really, really content to let PLD and Stenlund develop and see what we got before we go trading away CBJ's future for the next old fart that doesn't pan out (again). Are we gonna win the Stanley Cup this year? Probably not. That's fine.

EDIT: Don't mean to be picking on this one post, just generally responding to the thread.
I mainly agree with this, but if there's a quality middle-six C available on an expiring deal, Jarmo would be crazy not to investigate. Of course, there's not a lot of guys who fit that description, especially with Turris off the market. Bozak's probably the best option and I don't know that I'd move much of value beyond draft picks for him.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I go Larkin before Zetterberg. The age plus contract aren't appealing at all. The guy is a great player but its.to big of a risk to pay a high value price plus end up with a broken down Henrik. He' had injury issues in the past as well. So if he came retained and reasonable yes. If not Larkin has the speed and shot we can use here. I wish the Caps were just pure **** to get Kuz or backstrom but instead they are both killing it. We desperately need a puckhandling passer. A Sedin style guy that can set up Panarin.
Unfortunately I can't see the Wings trading Larkin. He should be part of their young core and would be 1 of the players to build around.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Nutivaara continues to look impressive to me, so I'm ok with dealing either Murray or Carlsson. I just don't think there's a good trade partner out there. Best option IMO is Bozak for a 2nd + prospect.
That's a deal that could get done. Tor has a need at D and a host of UFA's that they need to resign or move before the deadline. Downside is he's 31. Course it might work since we've got C's in the pipeline. His cap hit would be 4.2 pro-rated. Like I said he's in his UFA year...

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
While I understand the sentiment that Tampa isn't trading Tyler Johnson while things are going well, I think there are more players available than we are admitting. I do think Tampa is the last team that should be making trades, but most other teams are looking to improve.

I look at any teams 2nd or 3rd defenseman on a depth chart and if their season isn't going well, or if they think they could use a young wing or defenseman, or even draft picks, or cap relief, we have a lot to offer.

I am in the camp that we weather this storm until the deadline, as long as we are playing well enough. I think Wennberg will rebound, and Dubois is looking like he will be growing into a top 9C in the not too distant future. I am all for stocking up before the playoffs, but that could even mean just getting a 3C UFA to help with depth and matchup issues in the playoffs.

Some possible candidates if we want more than just a rental solution:

Tyler Johnson, Point, Reinhart, ROR, RNH, Strome, Strome, Domi, Galchenyuk, Marner, Nylander, Trochek, Bjugstad, Little...

And while not all of these guys are consistently playing center, or might not be considered available ... a lot can change very quickly - and if January comes around and any of those teams are sitting ten points out of a playoff spot, we will start hearing new names.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
While I understand the sentiment that Tampa isn't trading Tyler Johnson while things are going well, I think there are more players available than we are admitting. I do think Tampa is the last team that should be making trades, but most other teams are looking to improve.

I look at any teams 2nd or 3rd defenseman on a depth chart and if their season isn't going well, or if they think they could use a young wing or defenseman, or even draft picks, or cap relief, we have a lot to offer.

I am in the camp that we weather this storm until the deadline, as long as we are playing well enough. I think Wennberg will rebound, and Dubois is looking like he will be growing into a top 9C in the not too distant future. I am all for stocking up before the playoffs, but that could even mean just getting a 3C UFA to help with depth and matchup issues in the playoffs.

Some possible candidates if we want more than just a rental solution:

Tyler Johnson, Point, Reinhart, ROR, RNH, Strome, Strome, Domi, Galchenyuk, Marner, Nylander, Trochek, Bjugstad, Little...

And while not all of these guys are consistently playing center, or might not be considered available ... a lot can change very quickly - and if January comes around and any of those teams are sitting ten points out of a playoff spot, we will start hearing new names.

let me get this straight... you’re suggesting that Brayden Point, a 21 year old that is averaging almost 20 minutes TOI and averaging more than a point per game for arguably the best team in the league is available? You’re suggesting that the heart of the coyotes and fan favorite, Max Domi is available just because they’re going through a rebuild? You’re suggesting William Nylander is available? You’re suggesting Mitch Marner is available because he recently got demoted to fourth line like Bozak...? Or you’re suggesting that Bryan Little is avaible even though the Jets haven’t lost in regulation in their last six games and are now tied with us in terms of total points.

I’m not trying to be a hard head but we have to be realistic. Of the players you listed: ROR, Reinhart, Galchenyuk are more than likely available (add Evander Kane to that list)

Bjugstad and Trochek are toss ups and in my eyes are more than likely part of the core for FLA, especially Trochek (who would thrive on this CBJ team imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce