Value of: REALISTIC landing spots for Marc Staal

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Staal has 5 yrs at 5.75 left. rangers can eat up to half.
He will never be the best pure shutdown D in NHL he once was, but continues to improve since eye injury coupla years back. AV system is part of the problem, and AVs personnel decisions are not a help.

If not for the NMC, I'd ride Staal out. It's not as though he brings nothing.

As for to Buf for EKane, that is a no, cause I have already set that aside for Girardi +, to move that NMC.

Not clear where he would agree to move.
Return is not critical, looking for moving his NMC want flexibility going forward including the expansion draft.

Thanks in advance, catch ya later....

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He will never be the best pure shutdown D in NHL he once was, but continues to improve since eye injury coupla years back. AV system is part of the problem, and AVs personnel decisions are not a help.

As for to Buf for EKane, that is a no, cause I have already set that aside for Girardi +, to move that NMC.

Return is not critical, looking for moving his NMC want flexibility going forward including the expansion draft.

Didnt he just sign that contract last year, got a NMC and publicly said that he was planning to stay a long time in NY, buy a house, raise a family, etc? You know what that means OP? That means that he's NOT waiving and Rangers fans have to stop with the Marc Staal proposals that are all over the place. You guys need to start to face reality here and include him in your plans for the next 5 years. Build around him, he's not going anywhere.

You wanted realistic, that's realistic.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depends on the asset the NYR are willing to include because with the expansion draft coming and all NMC needing to be protected plus the length of his deal and cap hit the NYR are going to include an asset

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Immediately count out these teams (due to expansion and/or cap space):

PIT, LA, MTL, SJS, CHI, WSH, NYI, FLA, CBJ, STL, MIN, COL, TBL, CAL, OTT, WIN, ANA, EDM, NSH, VAN.

You're left with TOR, DET, PHI, BOS, DAL, BUF, NJ, ARI, CAR.

Then count out teams who need cap flexibility long term, which they would lose by acquiring Staal:

PHI, BOS, BUF, DAL, DET.

You're left with TOR, NJ, ARI, CAR.

Then, count out those teams who just simply don't have any kind of need for Staal:

ARI, CAR.

You're left with Toronto and New Jersey.

Now, count out teams who have just cleaned their house from overpaid contracts and guaranteedly don't want to take one back:

TOR.

You're left with New Jersey.

Now count out the team who is a young, up-and-coming team and doesn't need Staal because of that:

NJ.

You'll keep him.

Mad Brills*

someone will take staal if you add a 1st round pick to him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Didnt he just sign that contract last year, got a NMC and publicly said that he was planning to stay a long time in NY, buy a house, raise a family, etc? You know what that means OP? That means that he's NOT waiving and Rangers fans have to stop with the Marc Staal proposals that are all over the place. You guys need to start to face reality here and include him in your plans for the next 5 years. Build around him, he's not going anywhere.

You wanted realistic, that's realistic.

I'm sure Mike Richards and Jeff Carter thought the same thing when they signed their deals with Philly. Rick Nash signed long term with Columbus. He had an NMC. 2 years later, he was a Ranger, and it almost happened the deadline prior.

Things change. That's realistic.

As to whether we can find a deal that works for both Staal and whichever team we are trading him to, I don't know. Time will tell.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

It's a sad state and one that was completely foreseeable. The most likely landing spot for Staal and Girardi is the same....its the NYR. There's a couple of factors in this; the aforementioned NMCs, players don't just request NMCs to turn and waive them (sometimes it does happen and those you hear about, sometimes it doesn't and those you rarely hear about i.e. Hamhuis at the TDL, it's likely there are far more that you don't hear about because they prevent trades). The other major reason is majorly declining play and age. The NYR have been able to trade some real stinkers in the past but I think you need to be prepared to face a new reality that has Staal and Girardi on the team for 5 more years and costs you good young players; either through the expansion draft or in the unlikely event you find a trade partner.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

PIT, LA, MTL, SJS, CHI, WSH, NYI, FLA, CBJ, STL, MIN, COL, TBL, CAL, OTT, WIN, ANA, EDM, NSH, VAN.

Then count out teams who need cap flexibility long term, which they would lose by acquiring Staal:

PHI, BOS, BUF, DAL, DET.

Then, count out those teams who just simply don't have any kind of need for Staal:

ARI, CAR.

Now, count out teams who have just cleaned their house from overpaid contracts and guaranteedly don't want to take one back:

TOR.

Now count out the team who is a young, up-and-coming team and doesn't need Staal because of that:

NJ.

You'll keep him.

You could have used us for young and up and coming too

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo has no incentive to take on Girardi. Taking him on makes little sense for the Sabres, and while they may be looking to rid themselves of Kane, they won't take on an anchor like that it would pretty much punch McCabe's ticket out of town and stick them with a terrible player on a terrible contract. I think the Rangers will have a very difficult time moving either one of Staal and Girardi given their cap hit, contract length, and most importantly with the NMC they have.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
someone will take staal if you add a 1st round pick to him.

I've floated the idea on the Rangers board of Staal for E Kane, assuming Buffalo wants to get rid of him. I'd be willing to throw in Ottawa's 2018 2nd round pick that we got in the Brassard deal.

For the Rangers it would be a no brainer IMO. Even if Kane bombs, we can trade him or buy him out next summer at minimal cap cost.

For Buffalo, it depends on how willing they are to move on from Kane. Staal is paid more than you would like for a 2nd pair dman, but Buffalo could use him. Kulikov and Franson are both UFAs after this year. Gorges will be UFA in 2 years. Though if they trade for Staal, who sits? Franson probably. Or maybe he's part of the deal. Kane + Franson for Staal + 2nd + B prospect.

I'm sure Buffalo fans will hate the idea, but you never know. Who would have thought the devils would get Hall for Larsson straight up?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

No worries. Buffalo has no interest in Kane for Staal, and they don't have interest in Girardi for Kane either, so you're going to have to find another team to move him to.

Neither of those trades make Buffalo a better team than they are with Kane. Both of those trades would make them worse. Tim Murray is not looking to just dump Kane anyway. People don't seem to understand that Murray just gave up,a ton of assets for Kane barely over 1 season ago. Dumping him for spare parts would be a good way to put his job in jeopardy. That would be terrible asset management and Tim Murray is smarter than that. He is absolutely Not a GM who acts on emotion or makes rash decisions. The Only way Kane gets traded is if it makes the Sabres better with the return. Neither Staal or Girardi do that.

People act like Kane is going around punching babies or something. He has a trespassing charge and it will likely be dropped since the bar owner has already said Kane was not trespassing. The other charges are non criminal.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Matthew Carle could be signed right now for less than half what Staal is making on a much shorter deal. Why would anyone give up assets then have to protect him next offseason, assuming he waives his NMC in the first place.

Staal and Girardi are there for the long haul

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Realistically, the Rangers are stuck with Staal and Girardi because they are both absolute liabilities on the ice and have massive contracts. Their play style is outdated in the NHL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It won't be Buffalo for both expansion draft and future cap reasons. They are 2 years from handing out the Eichel and Reinhart contracts. They aren't sinking all that money in with 5 years left. Zero chance.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

PHI, BOS, BUF, DAL, DET.

ARI, CAR.

TOR.

NJ.

You'll keep him.

New Jersey will NEVER help out the Rags with their cap problems. That should have been the reason for Jersey

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Evander Kane to the city that never sleeps? Seems like another success story you got brewing there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

PHI, BOS, BUF, DAL, DET.

ARI, CAR.

TOR.

NJ.

You'll keep him.

:laugh:

Well done, sir.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Buffalo has no interest in Girardi or Staal....

The problem is their contract term suck. If Stasl had just 2 yrs left there might be some interest. He has 5. Years 3-5 buffalo needs their cap space...not dead weight. You n 2 yrs buffalo has to resign Eichel and Reinhart and their other young kids in years 3-5.

As the other poster said...there are only a few teams who could even afford him. One is Las Vegas.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I'm sure Mike Richards and Jeff Carter thought the same thing when they signed their deals with Philly. Rick Nash signed long term with Columbus. He had an NMC. 2 years later, he was a Ranger, and it almost happened the deadline prior.

Things change. That's realistic.

As to whether we can find a deal that works for both Staal and whichever team we are trading him to, I don't know. Time will tell.

Your logic is flawed here, because the situations aren't the same. Richards/Carter trades had little to do with play on the ice and everything to do with their off ice actions.

As for Nash, he requested a trade.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Despite what their fans will say, teams I could see having an interest in Staal would be Buffalo, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Colorado.

These would be the teams I see either having a need at LHD, or just make stupid trades and value guys for their character more then their actual skill.

For whatever reason the Staal name still has value in the league, so he isn't untradeable. It's about finding the package that works for both teams.

Also you can reply to this and say "My team will never trade for him", but guess what, you don't run the team, so you have no idea

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Despite what their fans will say, teams I could see having an interest in Staal would be Buffalo, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Colorado.

These would be the teams I see either having a need at LHD, or just make stupid trades and value guys for their character more then their actual skill.

For whatever reason the Staal name still has value in the league, so he isn't untradeable. It's about finding the package that works for both teams.

Also you can reply to this and say "My team will never trade for him", but guess what, you don't run the team, so you have no idea

BOLDED: With what cap space/roster space...
ITALICS: And of course the expansion draft might be a bit problematic...

And yeah, it's not like you know any better than us, so that last sentence is irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad