Value of: REALISTIC landing spots for Marc Staal

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If this is accurate, and not much changes between now and then, like a multi player deal, and if I understand the expansion rules,

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

I think Klein will be moved prior to expansion if possible. (decent defender someone will want for their playoffs and next season at his smallish cap hit) They buyout Girardi, they protect McD, have to protect Staal, and they expose Holden and McIlrath. Skjei is exempt.

That leaves them with 8 other protection slots.

Lundqvist (NMC), Stepan, Zibanejad, Zucc, Kreider, Hayes, Miller are given

Leaves 1 slot for Nash, Grabner, Lindberg, Fast, Jooris, McIlrath (assuming some of those get new deals)

If they can move Nash prior for futures, they end up protecting one of the rest of that group (if they are re-signed) (I think Fast or Lindberg or with an outside chance McIlrath)

Nash (with some decent amount retained) for a late 1st, good prospect and some other player that can be, and they don't care about exposing (a cap dump that does not have a NMC) (maybe more should he be Nash of two years ago)

Klein similar, yet not as much of a return, 2nd and decent prospect seems about right. (depends on market at trade deadline)

Rangers including the Brassard trade, Nash and Klein trades, add Zibanejad, a late 1st, two 2nds, and two decent if not good prospects, and end up protecting one of McIlrath, Fast, Grabner, Lindberg, Jooris, and a player or two they took back as cap dumps.

They expose the legal minimum stuff, (Holden or McIlrath, those forwards and Raanta should quality) they get futures, and they expose the lesser player in expansion out of that group.

If they literally can not move Nash, it means he is about done, they may end up exposing him.

I think Grabner was a guy they picked up with the intention of exposing. Another in the revolving door of bottom 6 players like Stempniak, Stalberg etc. I also think Nash will be gone long before the ED. Being realistic about Staal and Girardi, I think the Rangers should hold on to Staal but I would consider moving him for Kane, at least he is serviceable. Getting rid of Girardi by any means necessary should be the key move Gorton looks to make. Any plan that has Girardi on the first or second pair with McD is a sign of failure. G should get protected minutes in a 3rd pair situation and he will be ok, then maybe moveable with a 2nd rd pick or Fast to another team.....please?

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
i think the rangers are stuck with staal for now. And it might not be a bad thing either. Tutoring and giving skjei and younger guys a smoother transition, not throwing them to the wolves immediately (like schenn in toronto, for example). Opportunities to move him might come after the expansion draft, but for now i think he is a ranger.

So ecf-final 2012 doesn't count? He scored a couple of goals on that run, if i recall correclty. if it doesn't count, the rangers really only had one run.

2012 ecf
2014 scf
2015 ecf

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Staal, Girardi, Nash, Lundqvist are Rangers...for years.

Many Rangers fans think they can trade their crappy contracts to any team with cap space. No, other teams manage their cap space for better players than Staal, Girardi and Nash.

The Rangers and Red Wings are two playoff teams most likely to be out of the playoffs (maybe for a few years) due to their poor cap management and the lack of young good players on cheap Entry Level Contracts.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Many Rangers fans think they can trade their crappy contracts to any team with cap space. No, other teams manage their cap space for better players than Staal, Girardi and Nash.

The Rangers and Red Wings are two playoff teams most likely to be out of the playoffs (maybe for a few years) due to their poor cap management and the lack of young good players on cheap Entry Level Contracts.

Detroit surely isnt lacking on young good players on cheap ELCs

Their problem is lack of roster and contract space between NHL/AHL due to some of the guys who are really aging out of their contracts or are bad value (Howard, Ericsson, Kronwall, Helm, Miller, Ott, Smith)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad