RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This SBNation site published an article seemingly as though Seamus has committed to another NCAA year but I've not seen any official declaration

He’s going to do what he’s comfortable doing, but seems like an odd decision. Not sure there’s a lot of runway for him left in college, and he’d lose valuable pro development time with Dougie Hamilton moving to a modified NTC in ‘25-26.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Any chance he wants to pick his spot in the pros? If he doesn't sign maybe the Devils trade him this summer

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see little reason for the Devils to be worried if he goes back for his junior season to anchor UM with McGroarty and take another shot at the apple and be on the very, very short Hobey Baker list. This speculation stuff comes up every time - unless there is a specific reason or quote that should have the Devils worried…there’s no reason to manufacture panic.

A much better reason is simply that the Devils saw what a blueline that is too young can do to your Cup hopes at the NHL level and there may be some collective thinking here that another season at UM as opposed to being in the AHL isn’t going to hurt anything for Casey’s timeline or development.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Any chance he wants to pick his spot in the pros? If he doesn't sign maybe the Devils trade him this summer
Not much of a spot for him right now with Hamilton-Marino-Nemec, but should be eventually and the Devils can sell the future of Nemec and him as Top 4 RHD for the future. Waiting/leveraging waiting 2 years, 3 months to sign doesn't seem super likely.

Reactions: thefutures

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I see little reason for the Devils to be worried if he goes back for his junior season to anchor UM with McGroarty and take another shot at the apple and be on the very, very short Hobey Baker list. This speculation stuff comes up every time - unless there is a specific reason or quote that should have the Devils worried…there’s no reason to manufacture panic.

A much better reason is simply that the Devils saw what a blueline that is too young can do to your Cup hopes at the NHL level and there may be some collective thinking here that another season at UM as opposed to being in the AHL isn’t going to hurt anything for Casey’s timeline or development.
The devils didn't struggle because of a young blue line. It was actually the opposite - Hughes and Nemec were our two best defenseman this year, but our vets all had bad years.

Reactions: Torts

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The devils didn't struggle because of a young blue line. It was actually the opposite - Hughes and Nemec were our two best defenseman this year, but our vets all had bad years.

Fair enough - I still think the concept of Casey joining Hughes and Nemec to make up half the blueline of a team with contending aspirations (given good health) is too much youth to rely on, on your blueline, for 24-25.

The AHL would of course be fine too but if this is a case where Casey wants to go back to be BMOC and chase a title, I think that’s fine and his prerogative. I don’t think he’s hurt by it and I don’t think it means “Devils fans need to be worried!”.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Top pairing PP1 in AHL vs NCAA is relatively similar. Only minor downside is he can't be an injury replacement in the NHL, but not worried in the slightest about him not signing.

There wasn't a current spot. There will be one after next year, either at 3LD or at 3RD

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Not too worried yet, going the August 15th route sets back a guy's RFA clock so there is incentive to sign with the drafting team. Given the choice between college and the AHL, I wouldn't begrudge a guy choosing another year of school. If he Casey doesn't sign after next season, then I'd be worried.

2024-25: signs April 2025ish, negotiates to have contract begin that season, first year gets burned automatically due to Casey's age.
2025-26: ELC year 2
2026-27: ELC year 3 - RFA after season

August 15th route:
2024-25: junior year of college
2025-26: senior year of college, signs two year ELC after rights expire (two year term due to him being 22 at this point)
2026-27: ELC year 1
2027-28: ELC year 2 - RFA after season

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I assume he will spend the whole season in the AHL next year.. cool to see him sign his ELC knowing that there probably isn't a roster spot open for him at the NHL level and will need time in the minors

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I assume he will spend the whole season in the AHL next year.. cool to see him sign his ELC knowing that there probably isn't a roster spot open for him at the NHL level and will need time in the minors

He probably needs a year or two at the AHL level, but there's certainly a chance he gets called up if there are injuries at RD.

Devils depth at that position is still rather thin after the top 3: Hamilton, Nemec, Marino...then maybe DeSimone who is a UFA or Casey. All the other top defense prospects for NJ are LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad