RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s one of the more entertaining D prospects in recent years. He plays pond hockey but it works.

I don’t see Spurgeon. He’s not that smart with leveraging his body and defending but he’s significantly more skilled offensively and will be infinitely better on the PP.

I see Mike Green without the Howitzer. Probably a better defender but hard to say until he has to defend in the NHL

Reactions: Xirik

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Spurgeon came up in a different, much tougher time for a guy his size. I think he optimized for survival by playing sound and efficient “minimalist” hockey, ditto for a guy like Andy Greene.

Casey may as well be in a different sport. Even the stay at home guys in NJ are asked to make plays.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
He looks like if Jespar Bratt was a defenseman. Very shifty and deceptive, and aggressively attacks the center of the ice. If he can defend at an NHL level he could be great. Hoping it's not a Tony DeAngelo situation where his offense is deadly, but defensively is a liability.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He looks like if Jespar Bratt was a defenseman. Very shifty and deceptive, and aggressively attacks the center of the ice. If he can defend at an NHL level he could be great. Hoping it's not a Tony DeAngelo situation where his offense is deadly, but defensively is a liability.

I’ve thought the same thing with Bratt. Obviously until you see it at the NHL level you don’t know but I’d bet he already defends better than Deangelo lol

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I really liked Casey pre-draft and I still think there some special attributes there, namely skating. However, he was used in a purely offensive role in the WJC. He looked good whenever he was on the offensive end. The few times he got stuck in the d zone was bad. That's a quality NHL prospect, but it won't translate to a good player without massive improvements defensively.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Not a fan of this prospect. Happy to admit im wrong in the future but i dont think his game will translate in the NHL.

I see too many holes defensively and his play without the puck.

He is Good offensively but extremely below average defensively. To make the NHL with his stature he would need to be Elite offensively and at bare minimum be average defensively.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I really liked Casey pre-draft and I still think there some special attributes there, namely skating. However, he was used in a purely offensive role in the WJC. He looked good whenever he was on the offensive end. The few times he got stuck in the d zone was bad. That's a quality NHL prospect, but it won't translate to a good player without massive improvements defensively.
People said a lot of the same things about Luke Hughes after last year’s WJC and he hasn’t been a liability on that end. Individual plays get magnified to a cartoonish degree in those short tournaments.

Regardless, in the games I saw I don’t think Casey was that bad at all defensively.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To the extent anyone is basing their criticism of Casey on what they watched at the WJC, I think you have to temper that based on his illness. He was sick enough to miss a game outright so I'm skeptical he was ever at close to 100% during the tournament. It wasn't his best outing but he's looked better at Michigan against bigger stronger and older players so I'm not sure the WJC was the right time for an evaluation. He will have time to develop his defensive game and add more strength before he plays in the NHL. Maybe he signs at the end of the season and plays one or two games to burn an ELC year but it's hard to see any way he doesn't play in the AHL next season if he does sign.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
A lot of extremely non-specific talk about what's wrong with him...must be big secret if no one is willing to talk about it haha
He defends at least as good if not better than Luke did at Michigan in my limited viewings and by most of the tracked stats I’ve seen. If you’re under 6 feet, your defensive game gets significantly more scrutiny.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A lot of extremely non-specific talk about what's wrong with him...must be big secret if no one is willing to talk about it haha

IMG_5590.gif

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
People said a lot of the same things about Luke Hughes after last year’s WJC and he hasn’t been a liability on that end. Individual plays get magnified to a cartoonish degree in those short tournaments.

Regardless, in the games I saw I don’t think Casey was that bad at all defensively.

Luke Hughes is most certainly a liability - both in his own end and in transitioning the puck from defense to offense (where he has not yet learned to avoid the costly turnover and make low risk plays).

If Casey is Luke Hughes but smaller that would be a concern.

Hopefully there is more of a defense aspect to his game.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Casey has been mentioned in trade proposals, would expect the Devils would like to keep him, but Hamillton, Nemec, Marino all ahead of him at right shot D is something to note.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With loss tonight it looks like Wolverines may need to win BIG 10 tournament to reach NCAA Tournament.

Any chance Casey is available to sign sooner than expected if that happens?

Though Hughes comparison is a scary one. Another minus for Luke tonight. It's as if the other team has a PP when Devils are in their own end.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With loss tonight it looks like Wolverines may need to win BIG 10 tournament to reach NCAA Tournament.

Any chance Casey is available to sign sooner than expected if that happens?

Though Hughes comparison is a scary one. Another minus for Luke tonight. It's as if the other team has a PP when Devils are in their own end.
Yes, he has a shot to jump at the end of the season. Would Devils throw him in right away given they are chasing Playoffs though? If no, then there's not much reason to not wait until the offseason and assess his options then.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yes, he has a shot to jump at the end of the season. Would Devils throw him in right away given they are chasing Playoffs though? If no, then there's not much reason to not wait until the offseason and assess his options then.

Fair point. This Devils team is a mess and playoffs aren't likely.

Not sure there's much benefit either way if he signs.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

His defensive results in college are better than most of the top prospect are/were.

Overall he's arguably the best dman in college hockey.

Has top tier skating ability, is willing to be physical, good defensively, and electric offensively.

The most promising thing is he isn't a guy racking up points on the power play. He does a TON of his damage 5v5.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
His defensive results in college are rock solid, significantly better than most top prospects in college

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
His defensive results in college are rock solid, significantly better than most top prospects in college

Casey being bad at defense is one of the worst prospect takes I see on this site with any regularity. Casey is very good defensively as a junior player. High IQ, great leverage despite his size, deft at getting the puck out of his zone, etc. It's fair to say that you'll see it when you believe it at the NHL as there aren't that many guys his size that play strong defense in the NHL but they're not unicorns, either. It may not translate but if it doesn't, it's not because Casey is bad defensively as a junior.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Casey being bad at defense is one of the worst prospect takes I see on this site with any regularity. Casey is very good defensively as a junior player. High IQ, great leverage despite his size, deft at getting the puck out of his zone, etc. It's fair to say that you'll see it when you believe it at the NHL as there aren't that many guys his size that play strong defensive in the NHL but they're not unicorns, either. It may not translate but if it doesn't, it's not because Casey is bad defensively as a junior.
Seamus Casey in general is ridiculously underrated. Imo he's been the best dman in college hockey this year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Seamus Casey in general is ridiculously underrated. Imo he's been the best dman in college hockey this year.

My biggest criticism of Casey (other than his size) has been that his skill didn't always translate into the offensive results you'd expect given his hands and skating. Some of that though was he was always option #2 (at the NTDP behind Huston) and last year with Michigan behind Hughes. This year he's been the guy and the offensive numbers are way up.

If he doesn't make it in the NHL I won't be surprised. But I also won't be surprised to see him have a Jared Spurgeon or Brian Rafalski level career.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My biggest criticism of Casey (other than his size) has been that his skill didn't always translate into the offensive results you'd expect given his hands and skating. Some of that though was he was always option #2 (at the NTDP behind Huston) and last year with Michigan behind Hughes. This year he's been the guy and the offensive numbers are way up.

If he doesn't make it in the NHL I won't be surprised. But I also won't be surprised to see him have a Jared Spurgeon or Brian Rafalski level career.
There are obviously concerns with his size translating, and then of course the typical chance a prospect doesn't transition well. But nothing that you don't see with any prospect outside of a few sure things at the very top of the draft.

But anyone dismissing his level of play in the leagues he's played in is ridiculous.

Additionally NJD doesn't need him to meet any lofty expectations. You see the expectations being set by Montreal fans for Hutson and it's tough because those are gonna be very tough to live up to (I have concerns about his size, defense, and if he's a good enough skater to make up for his other deficiencies at the NHL level).

I expect Casey to slot in top pairing, PK and PP in utica next year (and he'll get a few games as an injury replacement). Then onto the 3rd pairing sheltered and we'll see how he goes from there.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
There are obviously concerns with his size translating, and then of course the typical chance a prospect doesn't transition well. But nothing that you don't see with any prospect outside of a few sure things at the very top of the draft.

But anyone dismissing his level of play in the leagues he's played in is ridiculous.

Additionally NJD doesn't need him to meet any lofty expectations. You see the expectations being set by Montreal fans for Hutson and it's tough because those are gonna be very tough to live up to (I have concerns about his size, defense, and if he's a good enough skater to make up for his other deficiencies at the NHL level).

I expect Casey to slot in top pairing, PK and PP in utica next year (and he'll get a few games as an injury replacement). Then onto the 3rd pairing sheltered and we'll see how he goes from there.

Agreed. New Jersey is obviously struggling through it this year but their defensive cupboard is stacked. If all those guys pan out it'll lead to some tough decisions to make, but initially it's nice for Casey because there is zero reason why the Devils would rush him like some other teams might. Let him put on weight and muscle and acclimate to professional hockey and move up as he earns it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Agreed. New Jersey is obviously struggling through it this year but their defensive cupboard is stacked. If all those guys can out it'll lead to some tough decisions to make, but initially it's nice for Casey because there is zero reason why the Devils would rush him like some other teams might. Let him put on weight and muscle and acclimate to professional hockey and move up as he earns it.
NJD needs a new coach, to be able to get solid goaltending, and do a better job rounding out the bottom 6.

Guys like Trenin, Duhaime, Foegele, etc. Size and speed in the bottom 6.

No more Tierney/Nosek/Willman garbage.

Ideally I'd love a lineup like

Haula-Hughes-Bratt
Palat-Nico-Meier
Foegele-Mercer-Holtz
Trenin-Lazar-Boqvist
Siegs-Hamilton
Luke-Nemec
Bahl-Marino
Ullmark
Allen

Maybe bring in a rental LD to give luke 1 more year of an easier job (Marcus Pettersson if available would fit great)

Reactions: William H Bonney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad