RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m a big Casey guy, but not because of his point totals.

NJ doesn’t need to rush him and he’s not better than Luke offensively so I think he’s really going to have to develop defensively. I think he will but I could see him playing AHL next year. Nazar and Rutger and Brindley probably sign so I bet he will too.

Going to come off negative but it’s not. I think he’s got 2D potential.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’m a big Casey guy, but not because of his point totals.

NJ doesn’t need to rush him and he’s not better than Luke offensively so I think he’s really going to have to develop defensively. I think he will but I could see him playing AHL next year. Nazar and Rutger and Brindley probably sign so I bet he will too.

Without Dougie, Marino, Nemec on the right side he's just not going to crack the team next year as a regular. I'm pretty confident he'd be an NHL caliber player and on a lesser team he'd make it but not here.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Without Dougie, Marino, Nemec on the right side he's just not going to crack the team next year as a regular. I'm pretty confident he'd be an NHL caliber player and on a lesser team he'd make it but not here.
Yeah pretty much what I was saying. I'm also not convinced he's an OFD at the next level which is why I think he'll need some AHL time.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah pretty much what I was saying. I'm also not convinced he's an OFD at the next level which is why I think he'll need some AHL time.

I don't think he's ever truly been an offensive D. Like sure his offense is great but the defense is also quite good. Only real issue I see is going to be the limitations that will present themselves because of the size. It'll be interesting to see how they run PP2 down the line. If it's just 1 D there then I think Casey would be the better QB over Nemec

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't think he's ever truly been an offensive D. Like sure his offense is great but the defense is also quite good. Only real issue I see is going to be the limitations that will present themselves because of the size. It'll be interesting to see how they run PP2 down the line. If it's just 1 D there then I think Casey would be the better QB over Nemec
A lot of people would assume he would be an OFD because of his point totals in college. The limitation on his ceiling will have to do with his size and the fact he isn't an elite skater. But he's so smart he'll figure it out.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Love Casey, but Nemec’s abilities as a PP QB are underrated by many Devils fans. With that being said, we have an abundance of riches on the back end.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I tend to agree that he's more of a 2 way defenseman than a pure OFD. His poise and decision making in his own end are so good.

But I also think he has 50+ point potential at the NHL level, if he's given a role on the PP. Say what you want about his point totals not translating, but he's leading the NCAA in scoring as a sophomore defenseman, that's pretty impressive.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I tend to agree that he's more of a 2 way defenseman than a pure OFD. His poise and decision making in his own end are so good.

But I also think he has 50+ point potential at the NHL level, if he's given a role on the PP. Say what you want about his point totals not translating, but he's leading the NCAA in scoring as a sophomore defenseman, that's pretty impressive.
It’s 100% impressive. You need to produce at the NCAA level. He certainly will produce offense. Just that won’t be his main calling card to stick I don’t think. He’ll have to be able to PK and be more all around.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Would be a great outcome for him. Think he has more offense than Spurgeon though.
Oh for sure - if he can become anything close to Spurgeon, that is a really good player. One of the rare small defensemen who not only don't need to be sheltered, but can play top matchups.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
lol He’s absolutely f***ing everywhere on this goal. Shakes off 2 guys on the wall then throws it on net and gets his own rebound. Gets a shot assist. Picks up that rebound too. Gets another shot assist and then Nazar puts it in on that rebound

that'll play

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I've watched them both games for 3 weekends in a row. This guy is good. The scoring is definitely propped up by their PP, but I am watching him against SCSU.. a lot of older stronger guys on their roster and he is more than holding his own in front of the net.

You can tell he's a cerebral guy and I always feel like those guys figure out their place in the game, whatever that ends up being.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I've watched them both games for 3 weekends in a row. This guy is good. The scoring is definitely propped up by their PP, but I am watching him against SCSU.. a lot of older stronger guys on their roster and he is more than holding his own in front of the net.

You can tell he's a cerebral guy and I always feel like those guys figure out their place in the game, whatever that ends up being.

The scoring so good though that even with more of an average PP over the best one he’s still probably around PPG. He’s currently at I think 22 in 16 and only has 1 game without a pt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The scoring so good though that even with more of an average PP over the best one he’s still probably around PPG. He’s currently at I think 22 in 16 and only has 1 game without a pt
Yeah I’m just saying I don’t see a dynamic blue line scorer at the next level like L Hughes.

I see him settling into a Jared Spurgeon type role.

Brent Burns Beard