RD PK Subban (2007, 43rd, MTL)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
You'd think the player your talking about must have a terrible +/- coughing up the puck that much...oh wait, he was a +46...hmm. I don't believe your statement at all
At that time it was pretty true. He's picking his spots better and is much more explosive when he does, then he used to be.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He mixes it up. Spinorama are ok as long as you don't do them all the time. Then they become predictable.

What makes it work well for him is that most guys dont use the spin-o-rama, especially not when they are skating back to pick up the puck. ITs why it worked so well against Pitburgh, they couldnt adapt

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
What makes it work well for him is that most guys dont use the spin-o-rama, especially not when they are skating back to pick up the puck. ITs why it worked so well against Pitburgh, they couldnt adapt

Like to goalies, players will adapt. He needs to use it as a last minute tactic very sporadicly. But he's still an awesome D man. He might (probably) not be the best d man in the league, but that skill is unlike any other.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Like to goalies, players will adapt. He needs to use it as a last minute tactic very sporadicly. But he's still an awesome D man. He might (probably) not be the best d man in the league, but that skill is unlike any other.

The ''spin-o-rama'' a la Denis Savard!?! ;)
I think also Jeremy Roenick did it a few times!

We're all lucky to have such entertaining to watch, young d-men playing in the NHL today (in bold: my 3 favorites!):
Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith

PK Subban
Bogosian
Hedman
Karlsson
Enstrom
and many more I'm missing...

Can't wait for the 2010-2011 season, although I'm still trying to enjoy the nice summer heat!!

jdmef8vtec*

Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith

PK Subban
Bogosian
Hedman
Karlsson
Enstrom
and many more I'm missing...

Karlsson & Hedman & Bogosian before Subban btw..
Only Karlsson is twice the player Subban is ... See next season who plays better.

Karlsson is slightly better then Subban offensively but thats where any comparision stop, Subban's defensive game is miles ahead of Karlsson, Karlsson is very weak physically and defensively, 90% will take SUbban over Karlsson for that simple reason. Karlsson will be a very good offensive defenceman but thats it, Subban will be a good defenceman period.

funserious

Jan 27, 2010
Subban is a VERY talented all around defensemen, he just utilizes his offensive talent a little more. Anybody that actually payed attention to him in the playoffs with the Habs could tell you he's not a 'purely offensive' defenceman.

Anyone that doubts the kid is gonna feel pretty dumb when he wins the Calder this year... just sayin'

Philybrook

Jul 8, 2010
G-town
Subban is a special player. I'm not a habs fan but I like him a lot. The only thing that I'm concerned about his the montreal fans short fuse with their young guns. With his style of play, he's probably gonna make a lot of mistakes. But you gotta learn to deal with it until he becomes more mature. This guy could be a future norris winner but I doubt it since he plays in montreal's pressure cooker.

Chrass

Sep 19, 2006
Karlsson is slightly better then Subban offensively but thats where any comparision stop, Subban's defensive game is miles ahead of Karlsson, Karlsson is very weak physically and defensively, 90% will take SUbban over Karlsson for that simple reason. Karlsson will be a very good offensive defenceman but thats it, Subban will be a good defenceman period.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Even in his rookie year last year he showed incredible tenacity in the defensive zone. Karlsson understands that his lack of size inhibits him, so he finds ways to work around it. Anyone who hasn't seen this, hasn't watched enough of him. No, he will never be a physical force, but to say his defensive game will never improve or amount to anything is ridiculous. He's already proven that he can hold his own after his first year.

jdmef8vtec*

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Even in his rookie year last year he showed incredible tenacity in the defensive zone. Karlsson understands that his lack of size inhibits him, so he finds ways to work around it. Anyone who hasn't seen this, hasn't watched enough of him. No, he will never be a physical force, but to say his defensive game will never improve or amount to anything is ridiculous. He's already proven that he can hold his own after his first year.

Im not gonna say he's terrible defensively, but PK is closer to Karlsson's offensive game then Karlsson is to PK's defensive game, Im from Ottawa and very much admire Karlsson's offensive skills, I never said he wouldnt improve his defensive game, he's just very limited due to his size and strength at this time.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
just for the record..

P.K. is now at an astonishing 214 lbs (after the devellopement camp official release in july), not bad for a 6'0'' , now lets just past the argument that he will be bounced around in the NHL or that he wont have the strenght, the guy as the potential to be a little tank, like Kovalenko used to be but with more speed and lots of talent and confidence. :) i think if karlsson ever hits the 200 it will be already an achievement IMHO.

Last edited:

Chrass

Sep 19, 2006
Im not gonna say he's terrible defensively, but PK is closer to Karlsson's offensive game then Karlsson is to PK's defensive game, Im from Ottawa and very much admire Karlsson's offensive skills, I never said he wouldnt improve his defensive game, he's just very limited due to his size and strength at this time.

I read your previous post, which was "Karlsson will be a very good offensive defenceman but thats it" as a finality...the 'that's it' part is where I got no improvement or ability defending....which I don't feel was assuming too much from your statement. Anyway, I'll agree with you on the first two lines and that he certainly needs to add muscle.

Hopefully Karlsson will get a bit bigger - say up to 190lbs. I don't think his defensive abilities will he in so much question at that point.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I hate the Habs, but they have themselves a potential top ten defensemen in the league. He can play defense, and is a stud in the offensive zone. Karlsson, I hate the Sens, but he isnt that sweet. His offensive play wont be enough to cover up his defensive struggles. He'll be putting up 30-40 points a season peaking at 50, but below average defense. Subban will be putting up 40-50 points on average with 60 points sprinkled in, and solid defensive play, and a future captain.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I hate the Habs, but they have themselves a potential top ten defensemen in the league. He can play defense, and is a stud in the offensive zone. Karlsson, I hate the Sens, but he isnt that sweet. His offensive play wont be enough to cover up his defensive struggles. He'll be putting up 30-40 points a season peaking at 50, but below average defense. Subban will be putting up 40-50 points on average with 60 points sprinkled in, and solid defensive play, and a future captain.

I would say I tend to agree with what you're saying, but I definitely don't feel as much "hatred" as you do. It's not healthy to live with all that hatred.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

I would even say pk could be a consistent 60 pts man in 2-3 years with as much as 80-90 in a career year. I dont see why Green could, other than maybe having an ovechkin... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad