RD PK Subban (2007, 43rd, MTL)

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
He's playing 23 minutes a night because of injuries, Einstein. It wasn't long ago he was being healthy scratched every night. Your inability to accept another person's opinion is evidence of your lack of intellect.

Let me point a few things out :

1) What does injuries have to do with anything? Of course, if there weren't any injuries he would probably won't be playing on the first PK unit, but instead of a veteran with 800 games under his belt, he is the one on the first PK unit right now. What you were saying is that Subban will probably never be good in his own zone, my point proved you wrong.

2) Being a healthy scratch when your a rookie is nothing new, some of the best players have been healthy scratches.

3) What about your inability to accept MY opinion? Does it show your lack of intellect?

4) Boom, lawyer'd.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Played 27 minutes tonight, 1G 1A. Played like a star tonight, and has had a great past 10 games. The small stretch of bad play and a few scratches is long gone now. Hes Montreal's future (If not Present) Stud Dman.

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010
i didnt like how he went down to block the shot from the point for Calgarys 4th goal. He tried to block it 5 feet in front of Auld and then left Tanguay wide open for the rebound

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Like any prospect, he worth twice as much to the team hes currently on than he is to the 29 other teams.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Like any prospect, he worth twice as much to the team hes currently on than he is to the 29 other teams.

Yeah.
Plus, trading Subban for a 1st rounder doesn't make much sense now for Montreal, unless it's for a Top-4 pick, which doesn't make much sense to the team trading the pick.

Think about it -- a sizeable portion of the 1st rounders will peak lower than Subban's actual level of play. And Subban is only 21. Trading Subban for a prospect makes absolutely no sense, especially considering how much of a big leap he's done since he was drafted (the knack on him is that he couldn't play defence at all). At this point, Subban is very good in his own zone, and most mistakes comes from his high-risk, high-reward moves, which isn't exactly what "defensive play" is about.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd be curious to see peoples opinion of Voinov vs Subban when they are very similar prospects....except one does have a Canadian hype train behind it.

Voinov is much less dynamic, and proved absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Still, if there's a way the Habs could get their hands on Voinov somehow, I'd be extremely happy.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
Voinov is much less dynamic, and proved absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Still, if there's a way the Habs could get their hands on Voinov somehow, I'd be extremely happy.

I think a comparison of Voynov to Subban is silly since one has been in the NHL now for a bit, but the bold makes no sense. He proved nothing in the NHL because he's never PLAYED in the NHL, not even one game. Hard to do when you've never been called up. He is currently leading all AHL dmen in points.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think a comparison of Voynov to Subban is silly since one has been in the NHL now for a bit, but the bold makes no sense. He proved nothing in the NHL because he's never PLAYED in the NHL, not even one game. Hard to do when you've never been called up. He is currently leading all AHL dmen in points.

...Ehhh... I don't see why the bolded part makes no sense. You know, many guys can't find their game in the NHL, because it doesn't translate well or whatever...

Next Best Thing*

If GM's knew Subban would develop the way he did they would have taken him very early in the first round. I would have no problem trading a top5 pick in the next draft for him.

why trade for Subban when you could draft one of Larrson, Hamilton or Murphy?

Because Subban will most likely be better. There.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's not like Subban is playing 23+ minutes a game and is on the 1st PK pair. Man, stop acting like you watch the kid play. I watch every habs game and, without saying he'll win the norris some day, he WILL be nominated a few times.

Haters gonna hate.

It's comments like this that make alot of haters "hate". If Montreal fans didn't overhype the hell out of this kid i bet he would recieve alot more respect around here as he does now. Maybe he will be nominated a few times for the Norris and maybe he'll even win it but then again maybe he'll never even be considered for the award. It's just too early to tell. I remember before the season started many fans had him as a shoe in to be nominated for the calder and now halfway through the season he's not even mentioned in the calder race. I'm a big Taylor Hall fan and i think he'll have a bright future just like PK will, but until he actually proves he can be an elite player in this league i'll never predict a Hart or Art Ross nomination.

Also even though i do agree that ice time do stand for something i don't believe it's as good of an argument to defend Subban as most Hab fans seem to believe. I understand that by playing alot of minutes it shows that the coach have alot of confidence in your abilities but every team is different. If Subban had been drafted by a team like LA he wouldn't even break the 18 minute mark. He is ranked 82nd in both TOI and min/game among dmen. Not bad for rookie but not great for a guy who is hyped up to be a top Dman. Also Subban is averaging 20:57 min/game not 23+ like you stated. Unless you're just talking about the last few games that is, and i think we both agree that judging a player's value on a few recent games is pretty ridiculous.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
You really think Subban will be better then Larsson?

No, your question is wrong: do you think Larsson will be better than Subban? As far as I'm concerned, Subban is in the NHL and Larsson hasn't done anything yet. They're not even the same type of defensemen. Subban produced admirably in his two years at the WJCs and his numbers are better than Larsson's. Larsson is bigger and I don't know why people are calling him the next everything. Before saying he's the next Lidstrom, maybe he should try to outplay Hedman, than after that, there are still players like Myers, Doughty, Subban, Fowler, Carlson that are going to be the next defensemen superstars. Subban has character and plays with extreme confidence and is somehow cocky. There aren't many players like him.

BTW, Ryan Murphy could be the next Kris Russell...or could turn out better, but as for now, we can see that drafting gifted but small defensemen like him and Ellis is going to take time to develop.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
If GM's knew Subban would develop the way he did they would have taken him very early in the first round. I would have no problem trading a top5 pick in the next draft for him.

Because Subban will most likely be better. There.

Not really sure what you're basing this on. Larsson has been playing in the SEL the past couple of seasons and is considered to be one of the most consistant all around defenceman in the league. He is also considered to be ahead of both Hedman and even Lidstrom in development at the same age. I doubt he'll have as much of an impact in the league as Lidstrom has but even if he turns out half as good i doubt any team with a shot at drafting him, especially Edmonton, would consider moving him for Subban. In saying that i can't see Montreal trading a player they have alot of faith in for a draft pick who haven't had a chance to prove himself in North America yet either.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No, your question is wrong: do you think Larsson will be better than Subban? As far as I'm concerned, Subban is in the NHL and Larsson hasn't done anything yet. They're not even the same type of defensemen. Subban produced admirably in his two years at the WJCs and his numbers are better than Larsson's. Larsson is bigger and I don't know why people are calling him the next everything. Before saying he's the next Lidstrom, maybe he should try to outplay Hedman, than after that, there are still players like Myers, Doughty, Subban, Fowler, Carlson that are going to be the next defensemen superstars. Subban has character and plays with extreme confidence and is somehow cocky. There aren't many players like him.

BTW, Ryan Murphy could be the next Kris Russell...or could turn out better, but as for now, we can see that drafting gifted but small defensemen like him and Ellis is going to take time to develop.

You forgot Erik Karlsson who is already an All-star, better than Subban and has a higher upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad