RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yeah, I was just saying this in the Rangers section when this topic came up.

He's more in the Brannstrom mold than the Boqvist mold, in my opinion.
I completely agree. I see an almost exact copy of Brannstrom, just with slightly less upside. At pick #28, that's awesome.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I completely agree. I see an almost exact copy of Brannstrom, just with slightly less upside. At pick #28, that's awesome.
Not exactly an exact copy. Brannstrom is better offensively as well but Lundkvist has him and Boqvist beat defensively.
Lundkvist is not a reach whatsoever.
Not at all. I expected him to go late 1st/early 2nd range

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Not exactly an exact copy. Brannstrom is better offensively as well but Lundkvist has him and Boqvist beat defensively.

Not at all. I expected him to go late 1st/early 2nd range
Yea you're right. Brannstrom is better offensively, but Lundkvist is not that far behind him. Lundkvist needs to work on his shot, but his puck moving is pretty damn good. Defensively, maybe he's got them beat, but Brannstrom isn't so bad in that category either. Maybe I'm overrating him, but I'm a big Brannstrom fan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Lundkvist’s shot.

I think Brannstrom is about a full round of a better prospect. He does just about everything better. Brannstrom is elite. Brannstrom is projecting as a Stralman type with probably more offense, and an overall better player. I think Lundkvist is unlikely to be as good as Stralman, but plays a similar style of game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like Lundkvist’s shot.

I think Brannstrom is about a full round of a better prospect. He does just about everything better. Brannstrom is elite. Brannstrom is projecting as a Stralman type with probably more offense, and an overall better player. I think Lundkvist is unlikely to be as good as Stralman, but plays a similar style of game.
Lundkvist best strength is his vision and understanding of the game. Top notch positioning on both sides of the puck and creativity through the roof. Hes not far off from Brannstrom IMO and some say hes a better prospect. He sure was better than him this year.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
The Rangers had a largely baffling draft and Lundkvist (who would probably have been available in the 2nd round)was a big part of the reason why. Even if he turns out ok, which is a big if, it still represents poor asset management with Veleno, Berggren and Sandin all still available with that pick. While I'm on that topic, what the hell were they doing with Olof Lindbom in the 2nd round, another total head scratcher, such a huge opportunity missed in this draft.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers had a largely baffling draft and Lundkvist (who would probably have been available in the 2nd round)was a big part of the reason why. Even if he turns out ok, which is a big if, it still represents poor asset management with Veleno, Berggren and Sandin all still available with that pick. While I'm on that topic, what the hell were they doing with Olof Lindbom in the 2nd round, another total head scratcher, such a huge opportunity missed in this draft.

You seem to not have an opinion that most agree with on Lundkvist. Maybe he would have lasted to 39, maybe he wouldn't have. Stupid to take that chance if they like him. Agreed on Lindbom, pretty universally considered a bad pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I'd definitely take Lundkvist over a middle six player like Veleno. I prefer him over Sandin as well. Sandin has been a prospect for, well, forever it seems. Yet there has not been the improvement in him from a kid-on. I don't like players like that (that's also part of Veleno's problem).

Agreed on Lindbom, though.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The only baffling pick the Rangers had was Lindomb. Kravstov, Miller, and Lundkvist were all selected at very reasonable parts of the draft, with the first two selections offering immense upside. One thing I really like about Lundkvist is that at 17, he already proved that he can hang against men and there is certainly a good deal of upside to be tapped into. Will he develop into a top pairing d-man? I don't know, and I lean towards likely no, but I absolutely can see him being a very productive puck moving top four d-man who plays more than respectable defense.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The only baffling pick the Rangers had was Lindomb. Kravstov, Miller, and Lundkvist were all selected at very reasonable parts of the draft, with the first two selections offering immense upside. One thing I really like about Lundkvist is that at 17, he already proved that he can hang against men and there is certainly a good deal of upside to be tapped into. Will he develop into a top pairing d-man? I don't know, and I lean towards likely no, but I absolutely can see him being a very productive puck moving top four d-man who plays more than respectable defense.
Sami Vatanen is a perfect comparison btw. Could definitely see Lundkvist ending up like Vatanen

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

I’d take Lundkvist over Sandin any day.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lundkvist best strength is his vision and understanding of the game. Top notch positioning on both sides of the puck and creativity through the roof. Hes not far off from Brannstrom IMO and some say hes a better prospect. He sure was better than him this year.

Sorry, I misread this at first.

You think Lundkvist had a better season than Brannstrom? Come on, now.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Berggren was the top of my list when NYR picked Lundkvist. Nils was 2nd, though. On the topic of Lundkvist vs Brännström, I like Nils better, which is to say that I have a much lower opinion of Erik than most. Something about Erik's game never seemed quite right to me. I had Vaakanainen ahead of him on draft day, and still do.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Berggren was the top of my list when NYR picked Lundkvist. Nils was 2nd, though. On the topic of Lundkvist vs Brännström, I like Nils better, which is to say that I have a much lower opinion of Erik than most. Something about Erik's game never seemed quite right to me. I had Vaakanainen ahead of him on draft day, and still do.

I've also never been super high on Brännström from an offensive standpoint, he's got some things to work on. I do like him more than Lundkvist though. Expected Lundkvist to go slightly lower but I wouldn't call him a reach.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Madic

May 21, 2008
Definitely, Sandin is overrated. Not even bias here, had Lundkvist 23rd and Sandin 46th.
Biased*. You have a bias, you are/aren't biasED.

Lundkvist, Sandin, Johansson, they all need to make the WJC squad so I can see them on the same ice. The entire Swedish U18 squad this year was offensively challenged (Boqvist had a few nice plays), but Lundkvist was entirely unnoticeable. "That's a good thing for a D-man" blahblah, I left most of the games wanting more and wishing Hallander and Sandin were available to compare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad