RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA) Part 2

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Torn labrum is a shitty injury :/ The shoulder labrum is a significant part of what holds the shoulder in place, and after tearing it, even with surgery, you can be more prone to future dislocations/injuries.

As an example, a shoulder dislocation/labrum tear is the injury that derailed Tarasenko's career. For Tarasenko it went like:

1) First surgery: shoulder dislocation/labrum tear at the end of the 2017/18 season, 6 months recovery. Was basically healthy the next year though (2018/19)

2) Second surgery: re-injured the shoulder at the start of 2019/20, another 6 month recovery that stretched to 9 because of the COVID shutdown. But when he came back for COVID bubble play, it didn't feel right ...

3) Third surgery: turned out surgery #2 didn't really work, had to have surgery again. Caused him to miss the rest of 2019/20 and the majority of 2020/21

Now, Tarasenko has been healthy since (~1.5 seasons healthy and playing well since coming back later in the 2020/21 season), but it's been a long road, and it's not necessarily over - e.g. he seemed good in 2018/19 only to re-injure it in 2019/20. This recurring injury is the reason the Blues exposed Tarasenko to Seattle at the expansion draft, and the reason Seattle didn't take him.

Hopefully it's not the same for Drysdale - i.e. the first surgery fixes it well, and it's not a recurring issue. It can certainly turn into a recurring, career derailing injury, though :/

I certainly wouldn't worry about Drysdale not being a star yet - he's only 20, and very good for a 20 year old. If healthy, you'd think his chances to become a stud #1 are very real. My main concern is that injury, personally - if it's recurring thing it'll have a large impact on his career.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Torn labrum is a shitty injury :/ The shoulder labrum is a significant part of what holds the shoulder in place, and after tearing it, even with surgery, you can be more prone to future dislocations/injuries.

As an example, a shoulder dislocation/labrum tear is the injury that derailed Tarasenko's career. For Tarasenko it went like:

1) First surgery: shoulder dislocation/labrum tear at the end of the 2017/18 season, 6 months recovery. Was basically healthy the next year though (2018/19)

2) Second surgery: re-injured the shoulder at the start of 2019/20, another 6 month recovery that stretched to 9 because of the COVID shutdown. But when he came back for COVID bubble play, it didn't feel right ...

3) Third surgery: turned out surgery #2 didn't really work, had to have surgery again. Caused him to miss the rest of 2019/20 and the majority of 2020/21

Now, Tarasenko has been healthy since (~1.5 seasons healthy and playing well since coming back later in the 2020/21 season), but it's been a long road, and it's not necessarily over - e.g. he seemed good in 2018/19 only to re-injure it in 2019/20. This recurring injury is the reason the Blues exposed Tarasenko to Seattle at the expansion draft, and the reason Seattle didn't take him.

Hopefully it's not the same for Drysdale - i.e. the first surgery fixes it well, and it's not a recurring issue. It can certainly turn into a recurring, career derailing injury, though :/

I certainly wouldn't worry about Drysdale not being a star yet - he's only 20, and very good for a 20 year old. If healthy, you'd think his chances to become a stud #1 are very real. My main concern is that injury, personally - if it's recurring thing it'll have a large impact on his career.
Good points. It really sucks... have to hope that Drysdale is younger and will heal better. But it will be a long road anyway.

Reactions: bsu and kinghock

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This player is a defensive disaster. Anaheim knew what they were giving Philadelphia.
He needs to get healthy, and Philly plays a very different system so it's tough for him. Before that he had to play (and be rushed into) dumster fire Anaheim defense. Hopefully the summer will do wonders for him.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He needs to get healthy, and Philly plays a very different system so it's tough for him. Before that he had to play (and be rushed into) dumster fire Anaheim defense. Hopefully the summer will do wonders for him.

I am not sure Drysdale was rushed b/c he proved he was too good to be in the AHL, winning AHL rookie for a month - beating out Zegras. In Drysdale's first, full NHL season playing in a top-pairing role, he produced 32 points in 81 games played and a -26 rating. That's a great start for a 19-year old OFD.

The subsequent seasons have been terrible luck due to injuries.

Anaheim was playing man-defense. Philly plays zone. Last time Drysdale played zone was in juniors, which means for the past four seasons he's been learning to play man-defense until he got traded to Philly.

Drysdale recently turned 22 years old. He's got time and I hope the injuries are behind him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was just checking how many games he has been back (8 now?) and noticed he was -6 vs Montreal. Wow. A little unfair, it is a bullshit stat, but wow.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Yet you still bring it up.
I’m a Flyers fan but whenever you end up with that bad of a stat line in one game it is worth bringing up.

Drysdale has all the potential in the world to still become a 2/3 dman, but his 3 months in Philly was super rough.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4