RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA) Part 2

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Credit to @Kalv who brought it to my attention on our board, but through his first 82 games (through Sunday, not counting tonight's -5 Patrick Kane disasterclass which we will not be discussing, thank you very much), he went 6+26=32 and was a -24 through his first "full season."

His is a really awkward evaluation. You can see the natural tools are there and the coaching staff is trying their damndest to shelter his minutes (he gets no PK time at all, try to force him as many OZone starts as possible, is rarely out there when the group is trying to protect leads and very seldomly when the game is tied with less than five minutes to go), but Anaheim is so incredibly thin organizationally on defense that he's playing a role he's clearly not equipped for yet and it's exacerbated in situations like the one they're facing with an injury to Josh Manson that causes him to play him even more tough minutes because they trust no one on the bottom pairing.

At any rate, I wouldn't say he's overwhelmed, but I do think he's hit the rookie midseason wall which works in tandem with the fact that he's not consistently ready for the minutes he's being fed (plus he does tend to just look lost/unfocused in his own end at times). You just hope that he can get out of this season with his confidence intact and the new regime (which I assume is coming with a new coach) can hopefully provide him with some cover and let him settle into a role he's more suited for. I am still a big believer and think that he still possesses the tools to be a really good NHL player for a long time.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Those charts are usually ridiculous :laugh: Hope Drysdale becomes Pronger, lol.

But I'm wondering, shouldn't Raymond be on there instead of Drysdale? It must be close, both had bad +/- but in Drysdales case I am a bit worried tbh, because he was getting shelled a bit, which meant less offensive opportunities to master, yet was also bad defensively (I thought he was better than that +/- tho, but lack of strength and experience showed). Idk how Raymond did tho, outside of a statsheet.

Reactions: Ippenator

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

But I'm wondering, shouldn't Raymond be on there instead of Drysdale? It must be close, both had bad +/- but in Drysdales case I am a bit worried tbh, because he was getting shelled a bit, which meant less offensive opportunities to master, yet was also bad defensively (I thought he was better than that +/- tho, but lack of strength and experience showed). Idk how Raymond did tho, outside of a statsheet.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Drysdale is an RD. Defensemen will naturally take longer to adjust to the NHL than forwards will especially for defense. He made it as a U20 defensemen player full time, only just turned 20 in April. Drysdale is going to be very good, he'll get there soon and Anaheim has nothing but time.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Tough luck with his injury.

I was only really able to catch one Ducks game this season - and wasn’t really hawking Drysdale and his game so I’m really not Able to comment on his play this year. How was he playing before the injury? Is the stat sheet a good representation?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Absolutey love Drysdale and would not be surprised to see him turn into a star, but I have so many problems with this guys data

It's crap. There are 10 players just as likely to be stars as those 2. Raymond, Quinn, Lafreniere, Perfetti, Jarvis, Reichel, Mercer, Bourque, Peterka etc.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's crap. There are 10 players just as likely to be stars as those 2. Raymond, Quinn, Lafreniere, Perfetti, Jarvis, Reichel, Mercer, Bourque, Peterka etc.

It's just Bader and his BS stat model, which no one takes seriously. You should see what his numbers say about Peterka, it's laughable.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I was only really able to catch one Ducks game this season - and wasn’t really hawking Drysdale and his game so I’m really not Able to comment on his play this year. How was he playing before the injury? Is the stat sheet a good representation?
He started poorly tbh, but was increasingly getting better. The few games just before the injury he started to look really, really good... It also coincided with him getting a look on the PP, it was mindblowing to not see him on there earlier, but he seemed to get that extra confidence from it. He was dangerous, dynamic, and even making really good plays defensively, but... I guess that worked him down.

This injury really blows, almost a full season out of his prime development years.

Reactions: lwvs84 and bsu

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The competition for Drysdale and Sanderson is kinda moot TBH ..Both look great for completely different reasons

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

When he’s using his skating aggressively he’s at his best, he was doing that the last few games…. We don’t really have an ideal partner for him right now

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
“He projects somewhere in the MDZ to Chris Pronger range“ - talk about covering your bases :)
I dunno where they even get this comparison from, since MDZ and Jamie Drysdale are 6' and Pronger is 6'6", and played the game in a way that is no longer legal. So stylistically, it's not even close. If anything, Drysdale would project to be MDZ to Niedermayer?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He is definitely going to show better when the Ducks become a better team. His strengths are when he is playing in space or in transition, not when the Ducks are hemmed in their d zone all game. I personally think he is going to be a top pairing guy that can have a huge impact on the game but will always have a hole in his game defensively because of his size. Hopefully he bulks up and gets stronger as he gets older.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's on track to be the next Cam Fowler, hopefully the upside is higher. Interested to see how this unfortunate injury at this point and time effects his development.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He started poorly tbh, but was increasingly getting better. The few games just before the injury he started to look really, really good... It also coincided with him getting a look on the PP, it was mindblowing to not see him on there earlier, but he seemed to get that extra confidence from it. He was dangerous, dynamic, and even making really good plays defensively, but... I guess that worked him down.

This injury really blows, almost a full season out of his prime development years.
Not that Im suggesting this to be the case here, but the injuries during prime development years can often change a lottery pick from being promising to a percieved underachiever. I think of galchenyuk who before his injury was a PPG player for like 60 games then never really recovered. Hope Drysdale still trends well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad