RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA) Part 2

Oct 18, 2011
Does that make it any better?
The whole logic of sending him to the WJC is that the experience would help him grow and be a better hockey player long term. How is that any different from practice?
Should we hold Gibson back from the Olympics?
He's already done it.

Reactions: bsu

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
He's already done it.
Twice lol. He is a top 4 dman on our team. He isn’t going and we would be stupid to send him at this point. Players who typically get released for WJC are 18 year olds who this is their only chance. We aren’t sending a top 4 dman who has played in it twice in the middle of a playoff hunt.

EDIT: it felt so good to type playoff hunt today even if we lose the next 20 in a row

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I really like watching this kid play. He is going to be an all star for the next decade +.
Really wish he somehow would have slid to where the Devils picked in the draft but no way that was going to happen.
Ducks are going to be a powerhouse soon and it’s awesome to be able to watch all these elite young Dmen coming up . Drysdale Sanderson Seider Power Hughes Edvinsson and even guys little older like Bouchard Smith ( slight tier below ) in addition to Makar Fox, Q Hughes , Heiskanen , that are already playing elite .
I’m not sure if it’s because I pay more attention to watching the young D in the league after my Devils drafted Luke so I follow it more ? But it just seems like there has been an influx of a tone of really talented in the last 3/4 years ?

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
He probably flies a little under the radar with Zegras stealing most of the headlines, but his all around game has been nothing short of fantastic lately. Incredible play from a 19 year old.

Reactions: Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
I still worry a bit if hes being pushed into something hes not ready for ideally he would be on the 3rd pair getting better matchups but some guys have the talent to overcome maybe not being put in perfect situations.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I still worry a bit if hes being pushed into something hes not ready for ideally he would be on the 3rd pair getting better matchups but some guys have the talent to overcome maybe not being put in perfect situations.
I think it's alright. I was worried at the start of the year when he was getting the most minutes of our defencemen, lol.
We are keeping him under 20 minutes now and while most of that time is against top opposition, he gets his fair share of opposing bottom 6 as well, I think. His skating is creating chances alone. There are instances where he comes close to scoring on rushes to the net.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
How is he doing defending against speed, i.e. McDavid?
Really well, his biggest issue right now (obviously) is battling in front of the net and tying sticks up. He has improved so much since the season started in that regard though.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Why he’s not on the PP the last 2 games?
Lindholm took his spot, I think they are trying to make him as happy as possible because they HAVE to re-sign him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Either him Kariya or zegras.
Yeah, I can't realistically see anyone having higher upside than what people thought of Kariya after his first 2 years. People thought he could be the next generation's Gretzky at points. I doubt he would have lived up to that, but the concussions robbed us of a guy who looked like he could be a top 50 or so player of all-time. I still have that collector's edition Top 50 players of All time by The Hockey News, and for the young guns to potentially crack the list, Kariya was mentioned alongside Forsberg and Lindros (sad what happened to all 3). Then they mentioned Brodeur, Bryan Berard as a wild card (Just won the Calder 2 years after being drafted 1OA) and Keith Tkachuk. I mean, if we are doing a comparable list to that today, it's probably something like McDavid (if he isn't already placed like Jagr was), Draisaitl, Kucherov, Matthews/MacKinnon, Vasilvesky and Makar. Just to put into perspective how highly Kariya was thought of.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I can't realistically see anyone having higher upside than what people though of Kariya after his first 2 years. People thought he could be the next generation's Gretzky at points. I doubt he would have lived up to that, but the concussions robbed us of a guy who looked like he could be a top 50 or so player of all-time. I still have that collector's edition Top 50 players of All time by The Hockey News, and for the young guns to potentially crack the list, Kariya was mentioned alongside Forsberg and Lindros (sad what happened to all 3). Then they mentioned Brodeur, Bryan Berard as a wild card (Just won the Calder 2 years after being drafted 1OA) and Keith Tkachuk. I mean, if we are doing a comparable list to that today, it's probably something like McDavid (if he isn't already placed like Jagr was), Draisaitl, Kucherov, Matthews/MacKinnon, Vasilvesky and Makar. Just to put into perspective how highly Kariya was thought of.
I explained it in the Ducks forum, too lazy to type it again.

Oct 18, 2011
If you think he's the next evolution of Scott Niedermayer it's not ridiculous. I've been hesitant to make that comp but he really has alot of similarities. I don't throw around comps to him lightly because I hold him in high regard for how he changed the ducks franchise. The skating in combination with hockey IQ is fun to watch, Scott played with more of an edge but I am constantly impressed how JD is able to defend much stronger guys so well

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Not often do I believe it's the right call for to keep 18-19 year old d-men in the NHL, but in this instance Drysdale is the exception. Too bad we won't see Drysdale at the World Juniors this Christmas, but fingers crossed I'll see him in some Team Canada action this spring at the WHC.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
How would he look if he was playing WJC right now? Would he stand out more/less than Power/Edvinsson/Sanderson? I wish he was playing it would be fun to see a comparison between all 4. He's only a couple months older than Owen Power. With all these postponements and delays I almost wish they sent him. Cov cases are going crazy in California right now I wouldn't be surprised if more games are canceled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad