RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA) Part 2

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was pretty insane tonight.... Very Miro Heiskanen-ish.

Insane skating and cardio there from Drysdale. He was sooooooo far behind, catching Miller there is nuts. Right after a basically E2E rush the other way, too.

How do Ducks fans rank Drysdale/Zegras/McTavish (long term expectations, not currently)? They’re all so close, I can see the argument any of them being the most promising young Duck. Maybe even Troy Terry in the mix, with the breakout season he’s having?

Reactions: bsu and voxel

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Insane skating and cardio there from Drysdale. He was sooooooo far behind, catching Miller there is nuts. Right after a basically E2E rush the other way, too.

How do Ducks fans rank Drysdale/Zegras/McTavish (long term expectations, not currently)? They’re all so close, I can see the argument any of them being the most promising young Duck. Maybe even Troy Terry in the mix, with the breakout season he’s having?
Right now it is:

Drysdale
Zegras
McTavish

with Zegras likely passing on Drysdale once he gains some more strength.
Terry might be our best player on the team this season, but we have to see how long he can maintain his hot play. Right now he has too high shots percentage. But overall breakout was expected from him years prior. He could land on 60 points this season

Drysdale... yeah since coaches reduced his minutes he is racking up points and being positive in the +/-. Start of the year we utilized him as our #1 D and while he looked great doing so, there were some shortcomings.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I have McTavish a tier below Z and Drysdale until I see otherwise, obviously it's still early but I think he is a tier below and will stay that way. As of now I have Drysdale and Zegras neck and neck.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My jaw dropped last night when I saw that Drysdale recovery. All I could think was, well, there's the OT goal for Vancouver but then Drysdale comes in out of nowhere and completely stops it.

Also I think in a bubble it's probably Zegras-Drysdale-McTavish with all of them fairly close.

Right now Drysdale is ahead of Zegras though. He's had more of a positive impact on the Ducks all around.

Reactions: Kalv and ponder

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's getting harder to temper expectations with Drysdale. Especially with the Ducks looking like they're going to be closer to a playoff spot than #1 overall, the 3 kids are going to be that much more important and Dry is the only d-man out of them. He's showing potential to be elite, we definitely need that out of him.

Reactions: wetcoast

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Started off slow this season (I and some thought he had some type of injury in training camp/preseason due to his skating not looking normal) but lately has found his groove and looks dynamic every shift.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Drysdale is very very low risk with high end 1d upside in my book. His skating is straight up a difference maker denfesively, offensively and in transition. He is also highly skilled with the puck like you see on the power play. Those two factors give him enormous upside. I see zegras anywhere from a low end 1c to a super elite 1c. Mctavish I see him anywhere from a top 6 winger to an elite physical winger or solid 1c.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Main thing is we have limited his ice time to just below 20 minutes and he has been much better. Producing well, being quite good in +/- and being very dangerous on the ice. Team is playing much better as well.

I will say it for 100th time again, but - he is still eligible for the WJC. I doubt we will let him go, though.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Main thing is we have limited his ice time to just below 20 minutes and he has been much better. Producing well, being quite good in +/- and being very dangerous on the ice. Team is playing much better as well.

I will say it for 100th time again, but - he is still eligible for the WJC. I doubt we will let him go, though.
I think he is eligible for 2 more WJC isn't he? lol

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think he is eligible for 2 more WJC isn't he? lol
No, nobody from 2020 draft is available for another 2. Most (or hald) of them are eligible for one more.

McTavish and some other 2021 draftees are eligible for one more. (many top 2021 picks are also eligible to only one more WJC like Dry tho)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I have a feeling the hot start will end eventually but we will still be in the hunt for a playoff spot due to the start and it will be a huge problem. THey wont trade upcoming UFAs and they wont let Drysdale go to the WJC which would be huge for him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Still talking about sending him to the WJC? Lol

NHL experience while not being overmatched >>>> playing in a tournament against 17-19 year olds

But HF gonna HF

McTavish is the Ducks player who needs to play in that tournament. Drysdale is a top 4 defenseman who gets better every game
Ya i dont think mctavish has been bad... but we have plenty of players to fill in the top 9 .. i think Mctavish should go to World juniors, and back to CHL after. He got his feet wet, and knows what to do to be a main part of the roster next year.

Drysdale and lindholm are just getting started, no way we send him

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Still talking about sending him to the WJC? Lol

NHL experience while not being overmatched >>>> playing in a tournament against 17-19 year olds

But HF gonna HF

McTavish is the Ducks player who needs to play in that tournament. Drysdale is a top 4 defenseman who gets better every game

I don't see the downside to him going to the WJC for a couple weeks and playing 30 minutes a night while being THE guy on the team with the most pressure.
It can have a huge effect on his confidence/experience.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see the downside to him going to the WJC for a couple weeks and playing 30 minutes a night while being THE guy on the team with the most pressure.
Then he gets injured like Dach and we all say WHY IS HE THERE??????????????

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Risk of injury is the main reason not to send him. What would benefit him more; 25 mins/game at the WJC, or top-4 minutes in the NHL? I think the answer is clear, especially considering he's already been a top performer at the world juniors.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

He is already one of THE guys on an NHL team. There is no better place for his development then playing with Lindholm against the best in the world. I don't want him playing against kids and developing bad habits playing against inferior competition, or worse, getting injured.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Then he gets injured like Dach and we all say WHY IS HE THERE??????????????
Risk of injury is the main reason not to send him. What would benefit him more; 25 mins/game at the WJC, or top-4 minutes in the NHL? I think the answer is clear, especially considering he's already been a top performer at the world juniors.

I get the logic about top 4 minutes in the NHL being more valuable then in the WJC, but this argument holds zero water to me. By that logic they should never do anything that could injure them unless it is in an NHL game.

He could get hurt in practice. It isn't like he is riding dirtbikes or something that has zero upside for his hockey career. You send him to the WJC for the experience or leading his team to gold because it is good for him and his growth as a player.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I get the logic about top 4 minutes in the NHL being more valuable then in the WJC, but this argument holds zero water to me. By that logic they should never do anything that could injure them unless it is in an NHL game.

He could get hurt in practice. It isn't like he is riding dirtbikes or something that has zero upside for his hockey career. You send him to the WJC for the experience or leading his team to gold because it is good for him and his growth as a player.
If he gets hurt at practice at least he was playing for the team that's paying him, not a tournament with a bunch of kids.

Reactions: 405Entrance

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If he gets hurt at practice at least he was playing for the team that's paying him, not a tournament with a bunch of kids.

Does that make it any better?
The whole logic of sending him to the WJC is that the experience would help him grow and be a better hockey player long term. How is that any different from practice?
Should we hold Gibson back from the Olympics?

Reactions: gunnergunther

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The whole logic of sending him to the WJC is that the experience would help him grow and be a better hockey player long term. How is that any different from practice?
If you owned or worked for a company would you let an asset go that was helping you to go play in a tournament he's way too good for with injury element, travel and COV shit going on? I wouldn't Drysdale has nothing to learn there it's a short tournament. What is he going to learn at a tournament that short with a bunch of teenagers?

and no because the Olympics has the best players in the world... and they pause the season for it so players being gone don't affect wins/loses. WJC is a bunch of good teenagers, Drysdale is already holding his own vs men and getting better by the game.

Being a leader at WJC would be cool but the Ducks are trying to win games they aren't going to let him go during the season to play in a short tournament when he isn't going to learn much other than their system and how to play with players he's never going to play with.

I think there is about a 5% chance, if even that he goes to WJC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 405Entrance

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Ultimately, I think that most people simply disagree with that logic. I believe the experience he is getting playing NHL games in a top 4 role >>>>>> Playing in the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad