RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I dont know who selected ASP as the best Dman in the tournament, probably the same person that thought Havelid is best goalie or all star in the tournament..

ASP Id say was one of the worst Dman for Sweeden, so to say he was the best Dman in the tournament is just disturbing for whoever voted him into that.
The only place I’ve seen people comment that he played poorly is here. Strangely, largely from the Canucks fan base. Likely looking for reasons involving Willander being picked ahead of him.

The Chicklets guys and the whoever picks players of the tournaments had him as playing great. There admittedly weren’t really any standout D performances by anyone this tournament though.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I don't get what Willander has to do with this conversation. ASP is more in the Makar/Hughes/Fox category. Yzerman likely took him for that kind of upside. Will he be that? We don't know and probably not, but given that we already have high end d-men with top pairing potential in Seider/Edvinsson, ASP is worth the risk even if he's a bust. Willander is projected to be a top-4 guy and plays a different game.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The only place I’ve seen people comment that he played poorly is here. Strangely, largely from the Canucks fan base. Likely looking for reasons involving Willander being picked ahead of him.

The Chicklets guys and the whoever picks players of the tournaments had him as playing great. There admittedly weren’t really any standout D performances by anyone this tournament though.
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Let's say this ends up being correct- given Detroit's existing D pipeline, that would be an absolutely great outcome!

Sweden had a stacked defensive lineup and so I don't think this is the putdown you think it is?
If you read the post I replied to I'm sure it will make sense. I have no interest in putting ASP down, I am Swedish after all

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Why make things up like this when icetime stats are so easily checked? What’s the point in lying?
Game 1: Pettersson 21:07, Willander 19:27, ASP 17:21

Game 2: Pettersson 23:12, Havelid 18:51, Willander 19:31, ASP 19:14

Game 3: Pettersson 20:46, Havelid 19:54, ASP 19:00

Game 4: ASP 24:48, Willander 21:28, Lindstein 19:41 (4 PP’s for Sweden this game + OT which increased his time on ice)

Game 5: ASP 23:16, Lindstein 21:59, Willander 21:22 (Sweden had 5 powerplays, only 1 penalty taken + OT which again inflates his time on ice)

Game 6: Lindstein 21:44, Pettersson 21:28, Willander and ASP 20:00

Game 7: ASP 23 minutes while the rest had lower minutes. Was a -3 and was a huge factor in the collapse of Sweden in the third period when they needed to put him out more for offense.

ASP was sheltered. Given easy matchups, would play majority of every PP, and usually did not play within the last 3-5 minutes of each game he played besides Game 4 and 5.

Lindstein, Pettersson and Willander played in all situations except the PP. where’s the lie?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

Game 4: ASP 24:48, Willander 21:28, Lindstein 19:41 (4 PP’s for Sweden this game + OT which increased his time on ice)

Game 5: ASP 23:16, Lindstein 21:59, Willander 21:22 (Sweden had 5 powerplays, only 1 penalty taken + OT which again inflates his time on ice)

Game 7: ASP 23 minutes while the rest had lower minutes. Was a -3 and was a huge factor in the collapse of Sweden in the third period when they needed to put him out more for offense.

ASP was sheltered. Given easy matchups, would play majority of every PP, and usually did not play within the last 3-5 minutes of each game he played besides Game 4 and 5.

Lindstein, Pettersson and Willander played in all situations except the PP.

...so your statement that ASP "did not play as much as Pettersson, Lindstein, Havelid and Willander" was completely wrong then, correct?

Unless you were only talking about the first 3 games of the tournament, since by your own post, ASP played the most minutes in the medal round contests?

Or did you mean to put up like 5 asterixis detailing how power play time and times when according to your own subjective evaluation ASP was bad do not count?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Lindstein, Pettersson and Willander played in all situations except the PP. where’s the lie?
Yeah they somehow found 20-25 ”easy”, ”sheltered” minutes per game for ASP (the best defenseman in the tournament). Even more, they struggled to find these ”easy” minutes for him against Germany and Latvia, but managed to do it against better teams. Makes total sense!

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Yeah they somehow found 20-25 ”easy”, ”sheltered” minutes per game for ASP (the best defenseman in the tournament). Even more, they struggled to find these ”easy” minutes for him against Germany and Latvia, but managed to do it against better teams. Makes total sense!

games where there were excessive power plays (because after all, running a power play is irrelevant to an evaluation) and OT do not count, oh and also the last game does not count or if it does count he is the reason Sweden lost.

Simple!

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
A lot of Canucks fans are weirdly heavily invested in seeing Detroit fail. Even before the tribalism from trading away the ASP pick and taking Willander first.

who are you going to trust for evaluating a prospect- writers from Elite Prospects and The Athletic, or CanucksFan544?

• Haha
Reactions: Konnan511

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Canuck fan here with an unbiased opinion saying ASP is GOOD (I may or may not own him in a keeper fantasy league but opinion is completely UNBIASED)

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Every time you repeat this it looks more foolish. You watched the games too and know he was not really the best D.

I think it's fair people expected more from him with all the hype he came to the WJC.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
STEVE ELLIS AT DAILYFACEOFF

Axel Sandin Pellikka, D (Sweden): Nobody controls defensive zone exits like ASP, who also led all Swedish defenders in shots and ice time. Sandin Pellikka is one of the best offensive defense prospects in the game today, and this felt like one of his most complete tournaments. The confidence, the two-way play, everything came together for Sandin Pellikka to prove he’s the real deal. You have to wonder if he takes a legitimate run at a roster spot in Detroit next year.

Reactions: Dingo

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't get what Willander has to do with this conversation. ASP is more in the Makar/Hughes/Fox category. Yzerman likely took him for that kind of upside. Will he be that? We don't know and probably not, but given that we already have high end d-men with top pairing potential in Seider/Edvinsson, ASP is worth the risk even if he's a bust. Willander is projected to be a top-4 guy and plays a different game.
ASP by far, was Sweden’s best dman. Just look how he moved past Havelid as the tournament went on, when it came to the staff’s trust situationally.

Willander played well, but he wasn’t transporting the puck at all really, and had 4-5 pretty big oops type moments. He’s a kid. They both are. Who knows who will be the better NHL player right now. You’re lying if you think you know.

As of now though, ASP is clearly a much more defined, and complete dman. Especially transitionally, and in the O-zone. There’s a reason, when they shortened the bench, ASP and Havelid were trusted more. Next year that may flip. In two years, Willinder may be well ahead of ASP. Exactly why Vancouver took him over ASP. That’s what they believed.

The Swedes had much more confidence in him as the tournament went on too, and that’s always a great sign. But in two years from now, hell, Anton Johansson might be the best dman out of those 7. He’s obviously the most physical of them all, and plays more of a NA style of game.

You just don’t know yet.

We’ll also never know if Detroit had him rated over ASP. I’ve been led to believe they had ASP rated over him and Reinbacher, but that’s after the fact type comments I’ve heard. Who knows the real truth. I’ve been led to believe the only dman Anaheim and Detroit had over ASP, was Simashev. Who I personally don’t like much at all, but he is very raw. I just think he’s two seconds behind.

The good thing about prospects is, we always get to find out. So this argument will be settled. I think the one thing we found out about ASP is, he’s very strong for his size. He’s built much better than a Cormier, Zellweger or Hutson. Although not as small, he’s still small by NHL standards, but shouldn’t be a concern like it is with those players, who have slender builds. ASP is built much closer to Hughes and Letang, core strength wise. Which is vital to playing in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
STEVE ELLIS AT DAILYFACEOFF

Axel Sandin Pellikka, D (Sweden): Nobody controls defensive zone exits like ASP, who also led all Swedish defenders in shots and ice time. Sandin Pellikka is one of the best offensive defense prospects in the game today, and this felt like one of his most complete tournaments. The confidence, the two-way play, everything came together for Sandin Pellikka to prove he’s the real deal. You have to wonder if he takes a legitimate run at a roster spot in Detroit next year.

is this guy even a Canucks fan? I only want unbiased opinions

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Wow! Who knew playing nearly 2 minutes on 4-5 PP’s increases TOI.

There’s a difference when a player plays 21 minutes without playing on the man advantage vs someone who racks up secondary assists and quite literally makes a living on the PP and is not used in other key situations.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wow! Who knew playing nearly 2 minutes on 4-5 PP’s increases TOI.

There’s a difference when a player plays 21 minutes without playing on the man advantage vs someone who racks up secondary assists and quite literally makes a living on the PP and is not used in other key situations.
There’s not one ounce of fact in thar post. You don’t have to like ASP, it’s just weird to keep making things up.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There’s not one ounce of fact in thar post. You don’t have to like ASP, it’s just weird to keep making things up.
If you watched the world juniors with your homer goggles off, anybody would be able to corroborate that ASP was absolutely mid at pretty much every aspect throughout the entirety of the tournament.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It’s interesting that all these publications talking about his good tournament are all Detroit homers. Didn’t know we has so many undercover fans. Go wings go baby!!!

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
If you watched the world juniors with your homer goggles off, anybody would be able to corroborate that ASP was absolutely mid at pretty much every aspect throughout the entirety of the tournament.

So basically the entire hockey world besides ... this board then?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad