RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You have definitely seen the amount of praise Sandin has gotten this year from media outlets as a Red wings fan. Willander is still rather under the radar, and the fact you don’t know how to spell his name proves that.
Red Wings fans on this board are generally very familiar with Willander because he was playing for Rogle while Kasper, Wallinder, and Niederbach were on the team as well. Plenty of people on our board identified Willander as a potential target in the draft well before he was being talked about as a 1st round prospect and have continued to keep tabs on him.

And he didn't misspell his name because he is unfamiliar with the player. He misspelled it because following both Willander & William Wallinder is F'ing confusing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You have definitely seen the amount of praise Sandin has gotten this year from media outlets as a Red wings fan. Willander is still rather under the radar, and the fact you don’t know how to spell his name proves that.
You type Wallinder enough on your phone as a Red Wings fan and see what your phone auto corrects Willander to.

He wasn’t the “biggest name” in the tournament. He just played very well.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
to me asp type o player that needs to be tightly meshed into a unit/system where his iq / hands / passing are enhanced by his teammates that can read his game . where on a tourney allstar team thats not meshed together / synchronized a player like asp isnt a deadly weapon because his teammates arent in synch to play catch with him , and he doesnt have the hot wheels to make space on his own . but get him on an nhl power play unit with guys hes in synch with and watch his passing n shooting become serious weapons

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
unbiased fan here who watched every minute of Sweeden's' tourny.

ASP was not great, borderline had to be sheltered.

You can see that his offensive skills are there but the AHL is filled with guys that offensively gifted that will never crack the NHL.

His battle level and defensive awareness are not Pro-Ready at this point. Not even close.

Its still early, and he is still young so there's lots od development that can be made still but he has a long long long ways to go.

This is not a prospect id be too excited about at this point.

ASP, Havelid and Ohgren were easily the biggest disappointments for Team Sweden.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

You can see that his offensive skills are there but the AHL is filled with guys that offensively gifted that will never crack the NHL.

His battle level and defensive awareness are not Pro-Ready at this point. Not even close.

Its still early, and he is still young so there's lots od development that can be made still but he has a long long long ways to go.

ASP, Havelid and Ohgren were easily the biggest disappointments for Team Sweden.
You're not a Canucks fan?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
You're not a Canucks fan?

Yes which means I couldnt care less or more for Red Wings prospects.

Nor am I Finnish fan that dislikes any Sweede prospect.

I Watched all of the Sweeden games for the Canuck prospects and came away with negative reviews on ASP, Ohgren and Havelid for the most part.

ASP had timely goals but overall looked really outmatched and was one of the sheltered D-men for Team Sweeden.

Fluid skater though and accurate wrist shots.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

....my guy, you are clearly a Canucks fan. All your posts are in threads about Canucks players, you post on the Canucks forum, you post about Canucks prospects...there's nothing unbiased about your opinion.

What's the point of lying when this is public information?

I thought ASP had a solid tournament but could have been better. I think his injury probably had something to do with it. I'll fully admit I'm biased because I'm a DRW fan. Would be quite weird to pretend that I'm not.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yes which means I couldnt care less or more for Red Wings prospects.

Nor am I Finnish fan that dislikes any Sweede prospect.

I Watched all of the Sweeden games for the Canuck prospects and came away with negative reviews on ASP, Ohgren and Havelid for the most part.

ASP had timely goals but overall looked really outmatched and was one of the sheltered D-men for Team Sweeden.

Fluid skater though and accurate wrist shots.
Just seems like some got weirdly salty for ASP praise and selected as best D in tournament, now this WIllander vs ASP garbage is festering.

Reactions: MagicMann13 and E D

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
....my guy, you are clearly a Canucks fan. All your posts are in threads about Canucks players, you post on the Canucks forum, you post about Canucks prospects...there's nothing unbiased about your opinion.

I thought ASP had a solid tournament but could have been better. I think his injury probably had something to do with it. I'll fully admit I'm biased because I'm a DRW fan. Would be quite weird to pretend that I'm not.

huh i never once denied im a Canuck fan.

What bias would I have against Red Wings prospects?

Detroit isnt even in our Conference?

I dont have any feelings or bias against the Red Wings, I dont follow their prospect except in this case when they were playing nationally alongside Canuck prospects.

Reactions: LeProspector

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
huh i never once denied im a Canuck fan.

What bias would I have against Red Wings prospects?

Detroit isnt even in our Conference?

I dont have any feelings or bias against the Red Wings, I dont follow their prospect except in this case when they were playing nationally alongside Canuck prospects.
There is a currently a Willander vs ASP thread in which multiple Canucks fans are rabidly proclaiming Willander is leagues above ASP. It's hard to buy your view as "unbiased" with this in mind.

It's possible to be biased without being a fan of the team. There's more than one type of bias.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Just seems like some got weirdly salty for ASP praise and selected as best D in tournament, now this WIllander vs ASP garbage is festering.

I dont know who selected ASP as the best Dman in the tournament, probably the same person that thought Havelid is best goalie or all star in the tournament..

ASP Id say was one of the worst Dman for Sweeden, so to say he was the best Dman in the tournament is just disturbing for whoever voted him into that.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

What does him being a Canucks fan have to do with his analysis?

ASP aside from a couple of assists on the PP from Lekkerimaki one time goals, he was extremely sheltered and did not play as much as Pettersson, Lindstein, Havelid and Willander. He had been constantly exposed defensively numerous of times and was bleeding scoring chances sometimes for his entire shift. I did not see much of that puck moving breakout plays I expected from a PMD who has scored 9 goals in the SHL. It’s fair to say he had a rough tournament and absolutely was not the best defenseman of that tournament. Nor was Gauthier for best forwaed.

That said, I usually take these games with a grain of salt. Lots of players underperform in these world juniors and it took Lekkerimaki his 3rd tourney to be anywhere near productive. Then there’s the Poehling’s and Bellows’s who come out of the world juniors after litting it up and soon after dont really amount to much.

What he’s done in the SHL is what I’d be more focused on. Not the world juniors. ASP is certainly having the better D+1 season and it’s not even close, if we’re doing this ASP/Willander debate. Canucks fans have Hughes, so we’ll take Willander. Detroit fans need a Hughes, ASP could be that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He scored two huge goals for them on PP1 so I’m not sure how you can say he wasn’t noticeable on the PP? That’s pretty good as the youngest D on the team.

He’s not overly fast but very agile on his feet and seemed pretty skilled at getting out of trouble.

Correct that his size will likely always be an issue defensively though

He probably wont be the best defensively, but if he's a stud offensively, I'm not sure it matters for Detroit.

You then end up with a situation where Mo is the go-to D for the PK and in his own zone 5 on 5, and ASP is the go-to for the PP and in the offensive zone.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I dont know who selected ASP as the best Dman in the tournament, probably the same person that thought Havelid is best goalie or all star in the tournament..

ASP Id say was one of the worst Dman for Sweeden, so to say he was the best Dman in the tournament is just disturbing for whoever voted him into that.
Well thanks for your opinion, who would you have picked as the best goalie if you don't mind me asking?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Well thanks for your opinion, who would you have picked as the best goalie if you don't mind me asking?

Dont know, cant say i watched alot of other teams much especially in round robin.

What I do know is that Havelid let in a handful of goals that a regular beer leaguer can stop.

Just deflated Team Sweden time after time with allowing soft goals.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Imo ASP will struggle a lot in the National League. The game is way faster.
He’s a world-class skater with great vision and puck-skills, he will fit right in. He should be well insulated with Seider & Walman taking on the tougher assignments. If he fills out and improves his defensive reads he will be a superstar IMO

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks like a future Barrie/DeAngelo type.

He'll play on an NHL PP but I wouldn't be betting any money on him playing anything more than softish 2nd pairing minutes at ES.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What does him being a Canucks fan have to do with his analysis?

ASP aside from a couple of assists on the PP from Lekkerimaki one time goals, he was extremely sheltered and did not play as much as Pettersson, Lindstein, Havelid and Willander. He had been constantly exposed defensively numerous of times and was bleeding scoring chances sometimes for his entire shift. I did not see much of that puck moving breakout plays I expected from a PMD who has scored 9 goals in the SHL. It’s fair to say he had a rough tournament and absolutely was not the best defenseman of that tournament. Nor was Gauthier for best forwaed.

That said, I usually take these games with a grain of salt. Lots of players underperform in these world juniors and it took Lekkerimaki his 3rd tourney to be anywhere near productive. Then there’s the Poehling’s and Bellows’s who come out of the world juniors after litting it up and soon after dont really amount to much.

What he’s done in the SHL is what I’d be more focused on. Not the world juniors. ASP is certainly having the better D+1 season and it’s not even close, if we’re doing this ASP/Willander debate. Canucks fans have Hughes, so we’ll take Willander. Detroit fans need a Hughes, ASP could be that.
Not particularly, no.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Looks like a future Barrie/DeAngelo type.

He'll play on an NHL PP but I wouldn't be betting any money on him playing anything more than softish 2nd pairing minutes at ES.

Let's say this ends up being correct- given Detroit's existing D pipeline, that would be an absolutely great outcome!

He wasn’t even the best d-man on his own team

Sweden had a stacked defensive lineup and so I don't think this is the putdown you think it is?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

You say unbiased fan, but I see a 'nucks fan downplaying the player picked with the first rounder they traded for Hronek.

Just sayin'

The people complaining about Pellikka in the final game should realize he was playing through an injury that was apparently severe enough to keep him out for two months.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You say unbiased fan, but I see a 'nucks fan downplaying the player picked with the first rounder they traded for Hronek.

Just sayin'

That's a bit silly, the Canucks are a top 5 team in the league, and are looking to contend going forward. They needed Hronek now instead of a player of Hronek's calibre in 5 years.

If anything, I'd like the Canucks to trade away more 1st round picks going forward. Who cares about the prospects picked when you're trying to win the cup.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Let's say this ends up being correct- given Detroit's existing D pipeline, that would be an absolutely great outcome!
Would it? Barrie, DeAngelo, Klingberg, Gostisbere types are pretty cheap to acquire in trade and free agency. I’d bet Detroit is hoping ASP figures out how to contribute to offense at even-strength like a poor man’s Karlsson or defend while undersized like a Hughes or Ryan Ellis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad