RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Really surprised by this. I didn't think ASP had a particularly strong showing during the tournament. Quite a mixed bag of highs and lows. Lindstein, Willander and Hävelid all had stronger tournaments IMO and that's just on team Sweden.

He started slow af but in the end he was the best D out there imo

Reactions: JBeast

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Defenders are very hard to rate, imo.

Takes a long time for me to start noticing their tendencies, a long time to start getting frustrated with their mistakes.

Could just be me.

I thought he was great, though. I am surprised so many thought he played poorly.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Defenders are very hard to rate, imo.

Takes a long time for me to start noticing their tendencies, a long time to start getting frustrated with their mistakes.

Could just be me.

I thought he was great, though. I am surprised so many thought he played poorly.

He wasn't poor per se, just very average. Not dynamic offensively, still limited defensively, average in transition. Didn't stand out in any way even on PP1.

I felt the same way in his draft year, I don't know that there's really much offense there despite a good shot and nice hands. His skating does not stand out even at the WJC level. Obviously still lots of time to develop.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
He wasn't poor per se, just very average. Not dynamic offensively, still limited defensively, average in transition. Didn't stand out in any way even on PP1.

I felt the same way in his draft year, I don't know that there's really much offense there despite a good shot and nice hands. His skating does not stand out even at the WJC level. Obviously still lots of time to develop.

I just can't see how you can say there isn't much offense there .. he had 4 points in the medal round games, and is leading the SHL in goals by a defenseman. Again - he's literally leading the SHL in goals in defenseman as an 18 year old!

What kind of offense are you expecting from a defenseman?

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Gotta love it when someone's named the best player of a tournament at their position (as an underager) and on track for a historic season offensively and someone concludes that they had a "very average" tournament and isn't sure "there's much offense there".
ASP had an average tournament. I certainly expected more.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
If his average is being named the best d-man there, your expectations may be set too high.

I think you can make any argument that he wasn't the best D in the tournament and the selection had something to do with home team bias, etc.

... But literally the only place on the internet I've seen it mentioned that he was "average" or "disappointing" is on this board. Every wrap up article I've read by media/scouts has him performing well.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If his average is being named the best d-man there, your expectations may be set too high.

The argument is that he wasn't the best d-man there, I thought he was the 2nd-3rd best on team Sweden, never mind the whole tournament.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The argument is that he wasn't the best d-man there, I thought he was the 2nd-3rd best on team Sweden, never mind the whole tournament.
It's still an argument that falls flat in the face of him actually being named the best D there. Even more hilarious are "home team bias" conspiracy theories. More likely contributors to his win is the fact that huge performances in the quarterfinals and semis had more influence for the voters than whatever some other d-man did in fairly meaningless group stage blowouts.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It's still an argument that falls flat in the face of him actually being named the best D there. Even more hilarious are "home team bias" conspiracy theories. More likely contributors to his win is the fact that huge performances in the quarterfinals and semis had more influence for the voters than whatever some other d-man did in fairly meaningless group stage blowouts.
it’s just like the 2021 WJC when topi niemla won the award.
He wasn’t even the best defender on his team but won the award for best in the tournament - Ville Heinola was MUCH better and more critical to the success of Finland that event. There are external factors when it comes to media voting. Him being a Toronto prospect helped things at that event, where as there being no clear best defender like there has been in years past contributed to a bunch of guys getting votes this year, and Sandin Pellikka being the biggest name out of the defenders at this even, took it home.

It is what it is, you can parade around and flex this award to your friends to brag all you want - but those that actually watched the event know what really happened. Voting bias exists.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

He scored two huge goals for them on PP1 so I’m not sure how you can say he wasn’t noticeable on the PP? That’s pretty good as the youngest D on the team.

He’s not overly fast but very agile on his feet and seemed pretty skilled at getting out of trouble.

Correct that his size will likely always be an issue defensively though

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

it's funny how he apparently simultaneously only won because of home team bias but also half the other Defensemen on the home team were better than him

Reactions: nbwingsfan

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He definitely should’ve been picked higher. I think he will be better in NHL than he has been in SHL. I did think Lindstein performed better at the WJC and deserved that award for Top D however

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
it’s just like the 2021 WJC when topi niemla won the award.
He wasn’t even the best defender on his team but won the award for best in the tournament - Ville Heinola was MUCH better and more critical to the success of Finland that event. There are external factors when it comes to media voting. Him being a Toronto prospect helped things at that event, where as there being no clear best defender like there has been in years past contributed to a bunch of guys getting votes this year, and Sandin Pellikka being the biggest name out of the defenders at this even, took it home.

It is what it is, you can parade around and flex this award to your friends to brag all you want - but those that actually watched the event know what really happened. Voting bias exists.
Why would he be the biggest name out there when Wallinder (taken before him), Hutson (hyped liked crazy), Mateychuck (taken at a h lower spot) existed?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Why would he be the biggest name out there when Wallinder (taken before him), Hutson (hyped liked crazy), Mateychuck (taken at a h lower spot) existed?

You have definitely seen the amount of praise Sandin has gotten this year from media outlets as a Red wings fan. Willander is still rather under the radar, and the fact you don’t know how to spell his name proves that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You have definitely seen the amount of praise Sandin has gotten this year from media outlets as a Red wings fan. Willander is still rather under the radar, and the fact you don’t know how to spell his name proves that.
Why are you comparing Rasmus Sandin to Willander? ;)

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad