RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He might end up different from those players, but he definitely has that physicality. He likes to hit, and is a freak athlete. They say he's like the strongest, most powerful, and explosive kid you'll see playing hockey at that age. He will probably dominate the combine, as much as that can happen in hockey.
If he were American he’d be playing Linebacker in the SEC or Big Ten.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boy you guys are hard on this player. Raw tools are undeniable. He's clearly learning the game still. But his hearts in the right place. I think he has the highest upside in the draft. Just needs to be developed properly. He came from Belarus 2 years ago, when you're that much better than everyone there's not gonna be alot of structure. His reads say he has hockey sense. If he's coachable at all he's gonna be a star in the NHL.

He was down right dominat against Notre Dame on Saturday. As an 18 year old, it was very impressive. He's the youngest player on the ice by a fair amount. In the right organization he should play in the AHL next year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was down right dominat against Notre Dame on Saturday. As an 18 year old, it was very impressive. He's the youngest player on the ice by a fair amount. In the right organization he should play in the AHL next year.
I think one more year at MSU. The year-to-year progression from Belarus -> USHL -> NCAA the last three seasons has been remarkable, I think it could do wonders to have continuity.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think one more year at MSU. The year-to-year progression from Belarus -> USHL -> NCAA the last three seasons has been remarkable, I think it could do wonders to have continuity.
The way he is capable of dominating I am not sure. I dont think it would be a bad thing but if he went to a team that is strong in development the AHL might also help him take another step. More games more reps to learn to play within himself.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The way he is capable of dominating I am not sure. I dont think it would be a bad thing but if he went to a team that is strong in development the AHL might also help him take another step. More games more reps to learn to play within himself.
Players like Power and Hughes made complete sense going back to school for an extra year as they needed to add muscle and grow into their bodies. Levshunov already has the muscle mass and strength, the added practice time in the NCAA is never a bad thing but in his case AHL is a logical step

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But he is already dominating in Michigan and is physically ready for the AHL which probably would be a bigger challenge and development scenario.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I think either way you can’t go wrong, NCAA or AHL. I’d rather see him go the AHL route though, he’s very physically mature.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He'll need another year or two of development. In college then the minors.

I'm just not impressed with his decision making or his shot for that matter.

He definitely needs another year or two at MSU. The defensive lapses and errors in his own end are really ugly and it only gets harder to defened going up to the AHL, nvm the NHL.
This is how I feel based on watching 4 full games now. He's not quite, but verging on "all tools no toolbox" in his own end. He seems to be sharper with the puck and in the offensive zone in terms of creating and making himself a threat, but there is also the occasional extremely dangerous pinch that goes the other way for a clean 2 on 1. I'm not seeing the "those things are teachable" side that some are proclaiming. Maybe he's learning so quickly and he can put together a great end to the season with some shut down games, but I just can't fall in love with this player. Still a top 5 pick but one that if he's on our team I'll be more nervous than excited.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He might end up different from those players, but he definitely has that physicality. He likes to hit, and is a freak athlete. They say he's like the strongest, most powerful, and explosive kid you'll see playing hockey at that age. He will probably dominate the combine, as much as that can happen in hockey.
That's fair but I think in their respective drafts years Levshunov is by far the better prospect.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Elite Prospects just did a Film Room on Lev, some major takeaways for those who don't pay like I do.
  • Strengths summarized as: Incredible mobility and activation into the play/the rush, quick in the offensive zone, solid in controlled exits and entries, able to play a heavy game, NHL toolkit and physique already,
  • Big question marks summarized as: Is he an early developer who might peter out in his growth? Turnover prone on breakouts but this might be in part due to MSU's system, can be passive in his own zone with low motor, sometimes flashes his insane tools and sometimes seems lost on the ice.
  • Conclusion: "The best way to think about him is not as an early developer, a late-birthday player on a fast track to an NHL role, but as clay — of the highest quality. The right development system could mould him into that right-shot, top-pair element that every rebuilding team desperately wants."
Link for those who pay

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Elite Prospects just did a Film Room on Lev, some major takeaways for those who don't pay like I do.
  • Strengths summarized as: Incredible mobility and activation into the play/the rush, quick in the offensive zone, solid in controlled exits and entries, able to play a heavy game, NHL toolkit and physique already,
  • Big question marks summarized as: Is he an early developer who might peter out in his growth? Turnover prone on breakouts but this might be in part due to MSU's system, can be passive in his own zone with low motor, sometimes flashes his insane tools and sometimes seems lost on the ice.
  • Conclusion: "The best way to think about him is not as an early developer, a late-birthday player on a fast track to an NHL role, but as clay — of the highest quality. The right development system could mould him into that right-shot, top-pair element that every rebuilding team desperately wants."
Link for those who pay

He's going high, thats for sure. He's already a developed, athletic kid and the point production is there at a great level already. Combine that with a coveted right shot?

2 is the ceiling but I think 4 is the floor. Too many of the top teams need defenseman, we know right shot defenseman have a premium.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He's going high, thats for sure. He's already a developed, athletic kid and the point production is there at a great level already. Combine that with a coveted right shot?

2 is the ceiling but I think 4 is the floor. Too many of the top teams need defenseman, we know right shot defenseman have a premium.
I think he could be a no.1 akin to doughty he has that nastiness/skill combo another year in the ncaa and two in the ahl would be good for his development

Reactions: pvr

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Agreed, I think this is very little chance he slips far. I think he’s the favorite for #2. The tools and production are elite and he ticks all the boxes teams lust after in a modern franchise defenseman. That he’s doing this and still has some edges to smooth out…that he is still a bit raw in some aspects…that makes me even more bullish because I don’t think there’s anything about his game that isn’t correctable with experience and good developmental coaching.

I think if all these 2024 prospects hit their absolute best versions - he’s the guy you want to take a chance on after Celebrini because the upside is huge and the position is a premium one.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think him, Silayev, and Dickinson are fighting for the first defenseman off the board. Yakemchuk has a small chance to do so also, but it seems like he’s not as consensus as a top defenseman. I think Buium and Parekh are their own lower tier. I don’t think NHL teams would consider them ahead of a bunch of defensemen that are 6’2+.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think him, Silayev, and Dickinson are fighting for the first defenseman off the board. Yakemchuk has a small chance to do so also, but it seems like he’s not as consensus as a top defenseman. I think Buium and Parekh are their own lower tier. I don’t think NHL teams would consider them ahead of a bunch of defensemen that are 6’2+.
Agreed, and I think even Silayev is starting to fall a bit in between Levshunov/Dickinson and Yakemchuk.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Link for those who pay
So Anaheim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad