RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are the tools as high end as they look on tape?
Honestly still can't quite figure out where this neg crowd is even coming from. He's a fantastic skater who really uses his frame and reach well on the defensive side of things. I scoured the sites to see what legs all this defensive zone hate has, but it seems to be confined to this thread on this site.

Reactions: Blueston

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Are the tools as high end as they look on tape?
Tools are the only reason this is a conversation at all for me. As I said in one of my reports on him, he's the ultimate "highlight reel player". Highlights are incredible, the live viewings are...a mixed bag. Sitting with a couple of scouts over the weekend, for State vs the Program...Eiserman vs Levshunov - there's a couple of us sitting there with that emoji where it's all nervous clenched teeth haha

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Arties profile is exactly what the ducks need… RHD, top PP potential, size and strength. I haven’t watched enough of this guy but it worries me that he gets negative reviews for hockey sense and defensive play. He’s so physically developed that I worry his upside and career path might be like a Bogosian. Picked high, gets into NHL very quickly, shows early potential and production but plateaus and flames out. It is positive that he is dominating against older competition but for a 18 year old he’s super jacked so that helps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Arties profile is exactly what the ducks need… RHD, top PP potential, size and strength. I haven’t watched enough of this guy but it worries me that he gets negative reviews for hockey sense and defensive play. He’s so physically developed that I worry his upside and career path might be like a Bogosian. Picked high, gets into NHL very quickly, shows early potential and production but plateaus and flames out. It is positive that he is dominating against older competition but for a 18 year old he’s super jacked so that helps.
I get what you’re trying to say, but Bogosian was top 4 for a long time and might hit 1000 games. I don’t think that’s in any way a bad career outcome, even if he could’ve had a better career.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bogo also had terrible injury problems that you have to consider when evaluating his career. Unless you are forecasting the same for Levshunov, then I don't see how their careers would possibly compare.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I might be a little too high on him myself. There are some moments that make me want to put him lower, but as of right now, he's my #1.
He sure oozes potential that's for sure but any team drafting him would be thinking there is a lot more there IQ wise and that's iffy to me as he seems more toolsy.

I honestly think it will come down to a 3 horse race for first defenseman off the board. Silayev, Buium, and Levshunov are the players I think the pro scouts will love

Sam Dickinson?​

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He sure oozes potential that's for sure but any team drafting him would be thinking there is a lot more there IQ wise and that's iffy to me as he seems more toolsy.

Sam Dickinson?​

In my opinion there are 6 defenseman that look really solid. All 6 look like good bets to be at least top 4 defensemen in the NHL. In all likeliness, 1 or more will bust though. Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, Yakemchuk, and Parekh are the 6 that stand out to me. Some people put Jiricek or Kiviharju in that group, but I don't think they are on that level. In that group, I have it tiered as such;

Tier 1

Levshunov
Buium
Parekh

Tier 2
Yakemchuk
Silayev
Dickinson

The reason I believe Silayev is in the race is because that's what I'm projecting scouts think of these players, not my own opinions. The reason Dickinson isn't in tier 1 is because I feel like he doesn't have enough offense in his game. I question whether he can be a key contributor on the back-end to get him pp1 opportunities. I project him as a top 4 defenseman that plays the PK.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In my opinion there are 6 defenseman that look really solid. All 6 look like good bets to be at least top 4 defensemen in the NHL. In all likeliness, 1 or more will bust though. Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, Yakemchuk, and Parekh are the 6 that stand out to me. Some people put Jiricek or Kiviharju in that group, but I don't think they are on that level. In that group, I have it tiered as such;

Tier 1

Levshunov
Buium
Parekh

Tier 2
Yakemchuk
Silayev
Dickinson

The reason I believe Silayev is in the race is because that's what I'm projecting scouts think of these players, not my own opinions. The reason Dickinson isn't in tier 1 is because I feel like he doesn't have enough offense in his game. I question whether he can be a key contributor on the back-end to get him pp1 opportunities. I project him as a top 4 defenseman that plays the PK.
Fair enough and really the Dmen here can go in all sorts of order on draft day but I would be surprised if Dickinson wasn't one of the first 3 Dmen drafted.

NHL teams love guys like him that are big, physical, extremely good defending Dmen.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Big 4 point night for the lad.

Didn’t watch the game but it appears in the library so looks like one to check out
Showed tremendous wheels and a great shot on a 2nd period.

MSU is having their best season in more than 20 years, he's the number 1 defenseman and produces tons of points and has a great +/-, he's the third youngest player in NCAA Hockey this season.. do the math, people will act as though he's some walking disaster with a good toolkit, couldn't be close to the case.

Example - this isn’t a guy who is big and skates well who is an idiot that needs to learn how to play hockey.

ETA: Currently tied for best +/- in all of NCAA Hockey

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

I get Erik Johnson vibes. The complete package of tools. But maybe not the IQ and quiet mind needed to maximize them. Still a great prospect

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Showed tremendous wheels and a great shot on a 2nd period.

MSU is having their best season in more than 20 years, he's the number 1 defenseman and produces tons of points and has a great +/-, he's the third youngest player in NCAA Hockey this season.. do the math, people will act as though he's some walking disaster with a good toolkit, couldn't be close to the case.

Example - this isn’t a guy who is big and skates well who is an idiot that needs to learn how to play hockey.

ETA: Currently tied for best +/- in all of NCAA Hockey

The ironic thing is that clip talks about great play and it was but all after a really poor and dangerous pass attempt that hit the defenders stick and luckily didn't go the other way on a fast break.

But still like someone said he has played on 3 different teams the last couple of years and his early years had less competition so things can be leaned.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I get Erik Johnson vibes. The complete package of tools. But maybe not the IQ and quiet mind needed to maximize them. Still a great prospect
Johnson gets raw deal from fans. He wasn’t good 1oa and a couple guys picked right after him had HOF caliber careers, but as a top 5 pick to get EJ value out of career would be a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXTRAS and cheechoo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bogo also had terrible injury problems that you have to consider when evaluating his career. Unless you are forecasting the same for Levshunov, then I don't see how their careers would possibly compare.

Bogo also had questionable rehabilitation tendencies from injuries where he would rather give half or a quarter effort "for the guys" when what was needed was lengthy surgery and rehab recovery. For a guy closing in on 1000 games, he's one of the biggest frauds I've ever had the displeasure to watch in the NHL.

As for Levshunov, yes, there are some things he does that are dangerous to his own team but progress and development will buff some of that out. The tools are certainly there.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The ironic thing is that clip talks about great play and it was but all after a really poor and dangerous pass attempt that hit the defenders stick and luckily didn't go the other way on a fast break.

But still like someone said he has played on 3 different teams the last couple of years and his early years had less competition so things can be leaned.
So much of what he has is what you can't teach and so much of what he lacks you can. By all accounts he is eager to learn and improve, so even though he can be an adventure out there it's easy to picture him as dominant player. Whether he will be able to reach those levels..

Reactions: wetcoast

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Umm. He's drastically risen up my board and in terms of my perception of him. Total phenom. Can skate for half the game and doesn't get tired. Surgeon in the offensive zone with top tier edgework.

Would definitely consider him at #2.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
These are the plays with Levshunov that give me real hesitation, especially the first one.

First one, simple dump, one forechecker coming in fairly slowly.. That is a simple reverse to your partner and your out of the zone with ease. Instead Levshunov glides in, no urgency, no scanning, gets the puck, feels the pressure and slaps the puck around the boards.. to no one and it's a contested puck battle. These are the exact type of sequences with Levshunov that give me real pause.

1705719094214.gif

Second one, gets the puck, no pressure and just a simple turnover.

1705719345533.gif

There were other bad moments to pick out, but these were the most egregious. I don't doubt his upside, but I do doubt if he has what it takes between the ears to get there.

Last edited:

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
These are the plays with Levshunov that give me real hesitation, especially the first one.

First one, simple dump, one forechecker coming in fairly slowly.. That is a simple reverse to your partner and your out of the zone with ease. Instead Levshunov glides in, no urgency, no scanning, gets the puck, realizes there's a forechecker and slaps the puck around the boards.. to no one and it's a contested puck battle. These are the exact type of sequences with Levshunov that give me real pause.

View attachment 806497

View attachment 806498

There were other bad moments to pick out, but these were the most egregious. I don't doubt his upside, but I do doubt if he has what it takes between the ears to get there.

I can see the lack of urgency angle here on this goal here too.

Really a phenomenal heads up play by Nazar more than anything, but he doesn't really close the gap nor make much of an effort to deter the play from happening / win the puck.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I can see the lack of urgency angle here on this goal here too.

Really a phenomenal heads up play by Nazar more than anything, but he doesn't really close the gap nor make much of an effort to deter the play from happening / win the puck.

I agree 100%.

When he has space to wheel or time to get his shot off, he looks great. But the shift to shift engagement/compete is a just a glaring issue. Hockey sense too.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
1g/1a on Saturday during a big comeback win at Michigan. Any MSU fans have any reports on whether Lev was a big piece, how he looked defensively, etc?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

First one, simple dump, one forechecker coming in fairly slowly.. That is a simple reverse to your partner and your out of the zone with ease. Instead Levshunov glides in, no urgency, no scanning, gets the puck, feels the pressure and slaps the puck around the boards.. to no one and it's a contested puck battle. These are the exact type of sequences with Levshunov that give me real pause.

View attachment 806497

View attachment 806498

To be fair, on the first play, where’d the winger go?? That was the play to make, and you can argue maybe he should’ve noticed the winger bailed on him, but that was the play to make, with all that open ice. He shouldn’t have had to look twice. In the NHL that winger isn’t bailing on him. Not with a forechecker. We also don’t know what his goaltender was telling him. 99 out of 100 times, you’re listening to your goaltender on that play. He 100% made the right play. He shouldn’t of had to take a second look. Scouts see this play, and ask exactly what I did. He was thinking the game at a level that winger wasn’t.

Sometimes, and it pops up with him in the second example, he doesn’t look like he’s assertive enough. There were several really good plays he made in this same game though.

Although I’m not sold on him being the first dman off the board yet, neither of these examples would reinforce any opinion on why not. Especially the first play. He actually made the play you’d want to see in the NHL. Not the very basic reverse, keeping the puck in the zone.

He’s a really young kid, playing a legit role in Division 1 Hockey. He’s going to make mistakes. There’s not a player in this draft, anywhere near a finished product. You also have to be careful dissecting turnovers, when the player is processing the game at a higher level than his teammates sometimes. We seen that a lot with Canada at Worlds. Where players like Minten, Poitras and Danielson, would make an NHL play, and their line mate wasn’t. Makes it tough to dissect things sometimes.

This kid is a Top 10-20 pick, all day long. Top 5? We’ll see. I’m not sold on that yet. It’s all going to depend on where teams see all these dmen come draft time. There’s a couple of more raw dmen, teams may fall in love with. Would it knock him out of the top 10? Possibly.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad