RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Twisted his knee in a scary way today. Looked bad but he skated to the bench and was able to finish the game.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Twisted his knee in a scary way today. Looked bad but he skated to the bench and was able to finish the game.
He must have ligaments of rubber; when I saw him back in December he hurt his knee pretty bad in the 2nd period where he couldn’t put weight on it, cane back in the 3rd to score a goal, then dressed for the men’s team an hour later.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

That'll be an interesting development if he stops playing until after the draft. He could easily drop a few spots because of it.

Yes, prefers the left.

That's good to know. The Hawks are a team I'm sure is interested in him (he'll be picked around where the Hawks will likely pick give or take a few spots, also we love Swedish Defensemen), but we have too many RD's that he'd be fighting for a spot with. Him preferring his offside would be an easy remedy for us.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He went from 2nd pair to sheltered 3rd pair in Almtuna rather quickly. Even in his 1st game when Leman got ejected they didn’t give him more minutes. The 2nd loan he was straight 3rd pair. When those who get to see him closest don’t really rate him, you have to wonder.

In one of his last games (think it might have been his last game) in Almtuna he played really well, and assisted on a game tying goal to force the game to OT. I had hoped that that might lead to him playing there again/more (especially since it might help me rationalize my C MORE subscription), but that never materialized. It's not really what you're hoping to see with a top prospect. He's going to be a gutsy pick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How has he been at the U18s? I've read hes been a complete stud and dominant for Sweden but havent watched any of his games

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Another goal to tie the game with minutes remaining. I thought he might be a faller in the draft but he's cementing his top 5 spot with this tourney.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Another goal to tie the game with minutes remaining. I thought he might be a faller in the draft but he's cementing his top 5 spot with this tourney.

In this game he was very good and looked like a top 5 prospect. That first goal was a fantastic shot. Almost won it in OT, Rodrigue stoned him. Very dangerous shooter.

His game against the USA on Sunday was a roller coaster of great shots and horrible moments in his zone. Some serious WTF moments in that one from my perspective.

How he performs going forward in this tournament will be quite interesting.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I am sure some people are eating crow right now, I seen him being dropped by some out of the top5 even top8 for seemingly no good reason in my view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
His game against the USA on Sunday was a roller coaster of great shots and horrible moments in his zone. Some serious WTF moments in that one from my perspective.

What were the moments in his zone? I only caugh the 2nd half of the 3rd, he had some shots and broke up a breakaway stretch pass attempt. I noticed he can really turn on the jets when he wants to.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
What were the moments in his zone? I only caugh the 2nd half of the 3rd, he had some shots and broke up a breakaway stretch pass attempt. I noticed he can really turn on the jets when he wants to.

Twice when the USA had set up shop in the Swedish zone for a solid 10-15 seconds, he wandered out to the top of the d-zone for no reason at all. As if he was a winger. It was shocking that he did it in my view. Pretty sure those 2 sequences were in the first half of the game. He also made quite a few sloppy passes (Button remarked on it that for a skilled offensive D, he can't be that sloppy with the puck).

His game was far cleaner today, which was reassuring.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've had him 3rd all season, and I don't think thats going to change. I think the GM that selects 3rd and picks Zadina is going to be fired for that decision eventually, not that Zadina is a bad player. If Boqvist hits his ceiling, and I think he will, he'll be the second best player in this draft.

Reactions: Mitts888

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I've had him 3rd all season, and I don't think thats going to change. I think the GM that selects 3rd and picks Zadina is going to be fired for that decision eventually, not that Zadina is a bad player. If Boqvist hits his ceiling, and I think he will, he'll be the second best player in this draft.
Might be a mistake to take Zadina over him but I very seriously doubt any GM would get fired for that. Both because it's a single pick and Zadina will likely be good in his own right, and because Zadina at 3 has been projected for a while, a GM isn't going to be fired for making a safe and obvious pick.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I was hoping he’d drop down to the Canucks pick...but I’m guessing that is unlikely.
I think he could surprise and go before Zadina as well.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Apparently Benning has Dobson tunnel vision already. Don't get your hopes up, even if he drops
Not even slightly true. It was just reported that the Canucks really like Dobson. It doesn't mean they don't like other players projected to go in their range.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In this game he was very good and looked like a top 5 prospect. That first goal was a fantastic shot. Almost won it in OT, Rodrigue stoned him. Very dangerous shooter.

How he performs going forward in this tournament will be quite interesting.

He can master the play at this level in all areas fairly well, although there of course are some ups and downs. Definitely a top 2-3 player in the entire tournament.

But the kid got some bonafide defensive issues. He moves very much in straight lines into his guy defensively. Sure his reads are great, but it don't work at the pro level. You need to be able to play the gap control, move with the guy you are defending against. In most situations, if you can't move with the guy you are defending against, you end up 10 feets behind the play in less than two seconds if you are beat. If you move with someone, even if you are turned inside out are still there. Disturbing the shot. Just stressing the attacker.

Boqvist has been a bit of a mess playing in the mens league in Sweden.

He can become the second best player in this draft, its not unreasonable to speculate on that. OTOH, he definitely need a lot of work. I remember a young Erik Karlsson very well, the kid was such a gambler and played with so small marginals -- but he played defense the right way in terms of fundamentals. Like you could easily take 20 defensive plays in most areas from a couple of games with an young Erik Karlsson and create an instruction video of how defense should be played, not showing the other 100 plays with and without the puck were he took big risks and gambled a lot. Boqvist's issues are much more of fundamental structure. He do not play some situations right at all. He reads so well what is happening on the ice, but he is all over the place and so many sitautions are handled with bandaid solutions.

Hence Boqvist also scares me a bit. It will take a while for him to get to the NHL. That time is always a risk for a high pick, everyone are awfully impatient. There is a ton of pressure. He will be tested mentally. And the corrections won't come by themselves. Imagine -- god forbid -- that someone like Peter Chiarelli gets his hands on Adam Boqvist, pulls him out of Sweden and puts him in the lineup on opening night in EDM. After 10-20 games with some might struggles Boqvist is dumped in the AHL and most of his focus will be on learning to live by himself, in a new country, in a new city, playing on a smaller ice, for a new coach, on a new team, with new teammates and so forth -- instead of being able to focus 100% on perfecting the fundamentals on the game.

To be perfectly honest, I think you can make an argument for Boqvist to more or less go anywhere from 3 to 10 IMO. I am still wandering back and forth. His offensive game is unique, most offensive D I have seen play hockey. Fundamental issues defensively. Skating issues defensively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He can master the play at this level in all areas fairly well, although there of course are some ups and downs. Definitely a top 2-3 player in the entire tournament.

But the kid got some bonafide defensive issues. He moves very much in straight lines into his guy defensively. Sure his reads are great, but it don't work at the pro level. You need to be able to play the gap control, move with the guy you are defending against. In most situations, if you can't move with the guy you are defending against, you end up 10 feets behind the play in less than two seconds if you are beat. If you move with someone, even if you are turned inside out are still there. Disturbing the shot. Just stressing the attacker.

He can become the second best player in this draft, its not unreasonable to speculate on that. OTOH, he definitely need a lot of work. I remember a young Erik Karlsson very well, the kid was such a gambler and played with so small marginals -- but he played defense the right way in terms of fundamentals. Like you could easily take 20 defensive plays in most areas from a couple of games with an young Erik Karlsson and create an instruction video of how defense should be played, not showing the other 100 plays with and without the puck were he took big risks and gambled a lot. Boqvist's issues are much more of fundamental structure. He do not play some situations right at all. He reads so well what is happening on the ice, but he is all over the place and so many sitautions are handled with bandaid solutions.

Hence Boqvist also scares me a bit. It will take a while for him to get to the NHL. That time is always a risk for a high pick, everyone are awfully impatient. There is a ton of pressure. He will be tested mentally. And the corrections won't come by themselves. Imagine -- god forbid -- that someone like Peter Chiarelli gets his hands on Adam Boqvist, pulls him out of Sweden and puts him in the lineup on opening night in EDM. After 10-20 games with some might struggles Boqvist is dumped in the AHL and most of his focus will be on learning to live by himself, in a new country, in a new city, playing on a smaller ice, for a new coach, on a new team, with new teammates and so forth -- instead of being able to focus 100% on perfecting the fundamentals on the game.

To be perfectly honest, I think you can make an argument for Boqvist to more or less go anywhere from 3 to 10 IMO. I am still wandering back and forth. His offensive game is unique, most offensive D I have seen play hockey. Fundamental issues defensively. Skating issues defensively.

Thanks for the insights Ola. How much have you seen him play in the different leagues in Sweden?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Between the D flaws and the goal driven aspect of his offence, it makes me wonder about his spatial awareness to some extent. It’s one thing to say he doesn’t have goal scorers at J20 club(especially when Wesfält spent most of his time with the men’s side), but now it’s the U18 as well?

Food for thought, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad