RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Apparently Benning has Dobson tunnel vision already. Don't get your hopes up, even if he drops

whoever the heck said he has his sights on Dobson or Tkachuk or whatever is out to lunch. They like a lot of players, and I am 100% not convinced at all, that those 2 are targeted at 6. They like Dobson, and I am sure they also like Smith, and Whalstrom.

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
He can master the play at this level in all areas fairly well, although there of course are some ups and downs. Definitely a top 2-3 player in the entire tournament.

But the kid got some bonafide defensive issues. He moves very much in straight lines into his guy defensively. Sure his reads are great, but it don't work at the pro level. You need to be able to play the gap control, move with the guy you are defending against. In most situations, if you can't move with the guy you are defending against, you end up 10 feets behind the play in less than two seconds if you are beat. If you move with someone, even if you are turned inside out are still there. Disturbing the shot. Just stressing the attacker.

Boqvist has been a bit of a mess playing in the mens league in Sweden.

He can become the second best player in this draft, its not unreasonable to speculate on that. OTOH, he definitely need a lot of work. I remember a young Erik Karlsson very well, the kid was such a gambler and played with so small marginals -- but he played defense the right way in terms of fundamentals. Like you could easily take 20 defensive plays in most areas from a couple of games with an young Erik Karlsson and create an instruction video of how defense should be played, not showing the other 100 plays with and without the puck were he took big risks and gambled a lot. Boqvist's issues are much more of fundamental structure. He do not play some situations right at all. He reads so well what is happening on the ice, but he is all over the place and so many sitautions are handled with bandaid solutions.

Hence Boqvist also scares me a bit. It will take a while for him to get to the NHL. That time is always a risk for a high pick, everyone are awfully impatient. There is a ton of pressure. He will be tested mentally. And the corrections won't come by themselves. Imagine -- god forbid -- that someone like Peter Chiarelli gets his hands on Adam Boqvist, pulls him out of Sweden and puts him in the lineup on opening night in EDM. After 10-20 games with some might struggles Boqvist is dumped in the AHL and most of his focus will be on learning to live by himself, in a new country, in a new city, playing on a smaller ice, for a new coach, on a new team, with new teammates and so forth -- instead of being able to focus 100% on perfecting the fundamentals on the game.

To be perfectly honest, I think you can make an argument for Boqvist to more or less go anywhere from 3 to 10 IMO. I am still wandering back and forth. His offensive game is unique, most offensive D I have seen play hockey. Fundamental issues defensively. Skating issues defensively.
OK he makes mistakes, but look at his +/- during all the int´l tournaments this year (17 Games + 13). He still hasn´t been on the ice (5v5) on any goal against during all these games and is Sweden’s best +/- player. It is quite rare that an offensive guy Like Boqvist shows such good +/- numbers. You may also note that he has 0 minutes in the penalty box.
All in all, one might conclude that he in fact defends very well especially when you consider that he lacks size.

Reactions: zcaptain and Ola

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He can master the play at this level in all areas fairly well, although there of course are some ups and downs. Definitely a top 2-3 player in the entire tournament.

But the kid got some bonafide defensive issues. He moves very much in straight lines into his guy defensively. Sure his reads are great, but it don't work at the pro level. You need to be able to play the gap control, move with the guy you are defending against. In most situations, if you can't move with the guy you are defending against, you end up 10 feets behind the play in less than two seconds if you are beat. If you move with someone, even if you are turned inside out are still there. Disturbing the shot. Just stressing the attacker.

Boqvist has been a bit of a mess playing in the mens league in Sweden.

He can become the second best player in this draft, its not unreasonable to speculate on that. OTOH, he definitely need a lot of work. I remember a young Erik Karlsson very well, the kid was such a gambler and played with so small marginals -- but he played defense the right way in terms of fundamentals. Like you could easily take 20 defensive plays in most areas from a couple of games with an young Erik Karlsson and create an instruction video of how defense should be played, not showing the other 100 plays with and without the puck were he took big risks and gambled a lot. Boqvist's issues are much more of fundamental structure. He do not play some situations right at all. He reads so well what is happening on the ice, but he is all over the place and so many sitautions are handled with bandaid solutions.

Hence Boqvist also scares me a bit. It will take a while for him to get to the NHL. That time is always a risk for a high pick, everyone are awfully impatient. There is a ton of pressure. He will be tested mentally. And the corrections won't come by themselves. Imagine -- god forbid -- that someone like Peter Chiarelli gets his hands on Adam Boqvist, pulls him out of Sweden and puts him in the lineup on opening night in EDM. After 10-20 games with some might struggles Boqvist is dumped in the AHL and most of his focus will be on learning to live by himself, in a new country, in a new city, playing on a smaller ice, for a new coach, on a new team, with new teammates and so forth -- instead of being able to focus 100% on perfecting the fundamentals on the game.

To be perfectly honest, I think you can make an argument for Boqvist to more or less go anywhere from 3 to 10 IMO. I am still wandering back and forth. His offensive game is unique, most offensive D I have seen play hockey. Fundamental issues defensively. Skating issues defensively.
Sounds a lot like Matt Dumba. It's taken a long time for him to get a semblance of a defensive game, even with a lot of athletic gifts. Luckily for him( and the Wild), he has had defensive studs like Brodin and Suter as partners to mentor and protect him.

WestCoastExpress94

Mar 17, 2018
whoever the heck said he has his sights on Dobson or Tkachuk or whatever is out to lunch. They like a lot of players, and I am 100% not convinced at all, that those 2 are targeted at 6. They like Dobson, and I am sure they also like Smith, and Whalstrom.
Elliott said they love Zadina so the interest in Tkachuk is probably false

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was offered an SHL rookie contract (played >100 minutes in the SHL) but has not signed. Likely not staying with Brynäs, OHL is an option. Would not rule out a move to another SHL team either.

I think the team that drafts him should sign him to an ELC, loan him back to SHL, whichever team he ends up playing with. If he plays big minutes, keep him there. If not, he can play in the AHL.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Show the video when the puck is deep in his own end where he’s covering neither post and is floating in space on the weak side where he’s not blocking a passing lane either.

That’s the kind of thing that drives me crazy.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Too one-dimensional and poor defensively for me. I like how he can control the offensive zone from the blueline, dangerous with a shot and great vision, but leaves his defender out to hang on the breakout. Gets beat in the corners, looks like he's 5'10 and 165 pounds out there.

I don't see any #1 defenceman with Boqvist's size or defensive weakness in the NHL. If I'm using a top 5 pick, I want a high-end player, not a PPQB.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Too one-dimensional and poor defensively for me. I like how he can control the offensive zone from the blueline, dangerous with a shot and great vision, but leaves his defender out to hang on the breakout. Gets beat in the corners, looks like he's 5'10 and 165 pounds out there.

I don't see any #1 defenceman with Boqvist's size or defensive weakness in the NHL. If I'm using a top 5 pick, I want a high-end player, not a PPQB.
I don't understand comments like these. Like, okay, the size thing I get. But Boqvist is still in the oven, so to speak. He needs like 3-4 years. I just don't think judging his defensive game this way is particularly illuminating when he's got a lot of development time left.

And when it comes to size, he's about the same height as Karlsson. He's not as filled out, sure, but one is 17 and the other is 27. It seems reasonable to believe Boqvist will put on some more weight.

Also, aren't PPQBs high end players? I don't understand this comment. Are we lamenting that Boqvist isn't Dahlin or something? Few players are going to do it all.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't understand comments like these. Like, okay, the size thing I get. But Boqvist is still in the oven, so to speak. He needs like 3-4 years. I just don't think judging his defensive game this way is particularly illuminating when he's got a lot of development time left.

And when it comes to size, he's about the same height as Karlsson. He's not as filled out, sure, but one is 17 and the other is 27. It seems reasonable to believe Boqvist will put on some more weight.

Also, aren't PPQBs high end players? I don't understand this comment. Are we lamenting that Boqvist isn't Dahlin or something? Few players are going to do it all.
Boqvist doesn't have the defensive hockey sense, he can read plays offensively and see plays develop, but defensively, I see a timid, puck-watching player. Virtanen had bad hockey sense in his draft year, he still has bad hockey sense. Boqvist can make good offensive plays and he has a great shot, but I'm not talking a player with significant flaws top 5.

I have a hard time believing Boqvist is 5'11, he looks smaller than someone like Ty Smith listed at 5'10, or maybe same height.

Torey Krug is a PPQB, Gostisbehere, Barrie, Ellis are as well. They are 2nd-pairing guys, not top-pairing defenceman. I don't see Boqvist better than those players, and he's still far away defensively from those guys.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Boqvist doesn't have the defensive hockey sense, he can read plays offensively and see plays develop, but defensively, I see a timid, puck-watching player. Virtanen had bad hockey sense in his draft year, he still has bad hockey sense. Boqvist can make good offensive plays and he has a great shot, but I'm not talking a player with significant flaws top 5.

I have a hard time believing Boqvist is 5'11, he looks smaller than someone like Ty Smith listed at 5'10, or maybe same height.

Torey Krug is a PPQB, Gostisbehere, Barrie, Ellis are as well. They are 2nd-pairing guys, not top-pairing defenceman. I don't see Boqvist better than those players, and he's still far away defensively from those guys.

Dirty little secret about Karlsson: even with all his production, at ES he’s a sub 50% GF%.

When your hope is that he’s a poor man’s Karlsson, is that worth a high 1st? A late 1st?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Show the video when the puck is deep in his own end where he’s covering neither post and is floating in space on the weak side where he’s not blocking a passing lane either.

That’s the kind of thing that drives me crazy.

Why don't you take the L on that performance?

He had a good game against Canada. You are driving the bus against him, but its not an effective narrative for that game, so its probably best to not say anything. I don't know, thats just my read on the situation.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

How many games of him have you watched?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Dirty little secret about Karlsson: even with all his production, at ES he’s a sub 50% GF%.

When your hope is that he’s a poor man’s Karlsson, is that worth a high 1st? A late 1st?
Boqvist is a 8-9 overall pick for me. I think the forwards in this draft are severally underrated but that's another topic.

How many games of him have you watched?
I've seen him at all international tournaments (U17, U18 5 nations, U18 IIHF 2x, Ivan Hlinka).

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

He had a good game against Canada. You are driving the bus against him, but its not an effective narrative for that game, so its probably best to not say anything. I don't know, thats just my read on the situation.

It’s not just the Canada game, it’s every game I’ve seen of him. That won’t fly at the show.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

And Canada(with all their obvious faults) are deservedly out in the quarters.

Go watch him over the course of a season in three leagues then get back to me. Can’t defend against men at 2 levels, doesn’t show the O except against inferior comps, drafting team will be lucky to get 4 useful seasons out of him before UFA comes along. More a group 6 guy, just because he runs out of time.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
And Canada(with all their obvious faults) are deservedly out in the quarters.

Go watch him over the course of a season in three leagues then get back to me. Can’t defend against men at 2 levels, doesn’t show the O except against inferior comps, drafting team will be lucky to get 4 useful seasons out of him before UFA comes along. More a group 6 guy, just because he runs out of time.
I can understand not liking his game, but this is ridiculous. It's such a hot take that I'm putting this one down and backing away.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the thing is right now, may dmans eligible for the draft have struggled a little or to some extent, there is some chemistry issues that happens and I think some of the struggles is not part of the real picture. I don't think it's a big deal.

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
I don’t say the kid is without issues defensively but now he has at least 11 National games in a row without being on the ice on any goal against (5v5). He plays the game a bit different but it seems to be working just fine.

Also, I don’t think I need to tell you that he has been on the ice on a lot of goals offensively, in fact quite often he´s the one scoring or assisting.
On U18-level, in my opinion, he dominates the ice both offensively and defensively. Among D-men in the Swedish team his +/- statistics is by far the best. It is interesting to give your opinion as to why he can play 11 games in a row perfectly and still be considered being horrible defensively by some. Most common opinion, he´s not good along the boards = he sucks defensively.

To understand why he has been perfect in so many games this season you need to consider typical situations leading to a goal and how to avoid those. So, I will give you 4 reasons why I think he’s in fact a very good player defensively:
- He almost never misses a pass
- He almost never makes mistakes with the puck that leads to turnovers
- His style of play brings the game to the offensive zone
- He uses his stick and agility very effective in defense, often bringing the initial attack to the corners

To sum up, his style of play is what modern hockey is all about and that’s why he´s doing very well in the national team (playing with other skilled players in a “modern” system).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Excellent young defenceman but was quite invisible today's U18 semifinal vs Finland.
Hopefully Jari Kekalainen does everything to get this young dman in Panthers he would look good with Ekblad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad