Speculation: Ray Shero 'inside track' to succeed GM Bryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Please no. He hasn't proven a damned thing and his awful draft and trade record make me not want him at all.

His Stanley Cup ring says otherwise.

He made some good trades in Pittsburgh. Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski, Kunitz for Whitney, Hossa and Dupuis for a whole lot of nothing. We could do a lot worse than Ray Shero.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
His Stanley Cup ring says otherwise.

He made some good trades in Pittsburgh. Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski, Kunitz for Whitney, Hossa and Dupuis for a whole lot of nothing. We could do a lot worse than Ray Shero.

6 years ago, on the backs of two superstars and a whole lot of luck. Fleury just about lost it for them in Game 6 but got bailed out by his defenseman (I think it was Scuderi actually).

Once he did that, he had no clue how to keep it going - they could win in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Karlsson2Turris*

6 years ago, on the backs of two superstars and a whole lot of luck. Fleury just about lost it for them in Game 6 but got bailed out by his defenseman (I think it was Scuderi actually).

Once he did that, he had no clue how to keep it going - they could win in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Eh he did make decent moves to try and get them back to the Finals (eg: Bringing in Vokoun).

His biggest mistake was probably keeping Bylsma around too long.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
His biggest mistake was probably keeping Bylsma around too long.

I'd say Fleury and injuries, myself. But yeah - one cup from Sidney and co. seems like at least one too few. Probably could have moved Fleury for a couple of contributing parts and saved some money and improved the goaltending by getting someone less spectacular but consistent.

I'd be ok with Shero or Dorian really. One seems to have NHL trades down, the other drafting. I don't know enough about either to speculate too much but am willing to give both a chance.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
A GMs job is to assemble the roster to the best of his ability to give them a chance to win. The performance of the players falls on the coach and the players, not the GM. The guy did everything he could trading pieces, shuffling the deck and making impact trades at the deadline and otherwise to give his roster a talent boost almost every year. Judge the guy on that not on the performance of the players who seemed to fall short every year. It's not like they were squeezing in as 8 seeds and perennially underachieving in the regular season. They were a top tier team under his tenure almost every year. The playoff performances, or lack thereof, can be blamed on no one but the players and coaching staff. If he stuck it out with a coach for too long then maybe you can assign him the blame. But remember that coach gave him a Stanley cup and excellent regular season results. He's a general manager in the nhl not clairvoyant.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON

On the backs of two superstars and a whole lot of luck? You don't get to the SCF and win by a "whole lot of luck." They were in the SCF the year before and took it to 6... was that lucky too? In 08, Shero acquired Hossa and Dupuis at the deadline. In 09, it was Bill Guerin. He's made some strong moves. Your dislike for him doesn't make much sense.

And in regards to your point about Pitt winning in the regular season and not the playoffs - they made it to the SCF twice. Moreover, you could say the same "regular season success but not playoff success" about Boston.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Shero's biggest issue was his loyalty to Fleury and Bylsma. If he had picked up a better goalie and coach sooner, I am sure he have had better results.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This is the GM who was comfortable paying Neal and Cooke. The two players that I despise most in the ENTIRE league.

I'm not comfortable with him for that alone, dead serious.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Shero's biggest issue was his loyalty to Fleury and Bylsma. If he had picked up a better goalie and coach sooner, I am sure he have had better results.

thats the only issue i have with shero, is that he is too loyal

kind of like murray and melnyk in that sense, afraid that it may lead to extensions for many of our replaceable parts

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
cereal_guy_spitting_by_rober_raik-d4clu6f.png

If Shero brings in Blysma

Greening - Turris - Stone
Legwand -Zibanejad - Condra
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Hoffman - Smith - Niel

Phillips - Karlsson
Boro - Ceci
Methot - Gryba

Shero is also the idiot that likes to make trades that hurts the teams future, and has a HORRIBLE draft record, why of all teams would the sens feel this is appropriate for them?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I was responding to the person who said he hadn't accomplished anything. I think a stanley cup is an accomplishment even if it was 6 whole years ago! How many of us were alive or even remember back that far? I also don't think you're giving him enough credit when you say "a whole lot of luck." Clearly he had to make some good moves to get that team over the top.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This is the GM who was comfortable paying Neal and Cooke. The two players that I despise most in the ENTIRE league.

I'm not comfortable with him for that alone, dead serious.

Murray has had Neil and Ruutu here and Kunitz in Anaheim. Whether you like Neal and Cooke doesn't really matter. They contributed to their team.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Murray has had Neil and Ruutu here and Kunitz in Anaheim. Whether you like Neal and Cooke doesn't really matter. They contributed to their team.

To me it does matter, Chris Neil does not play the same game as James Neal and wtf has Kuntiz every done?

Neal and Cooke are the two scummiest players in the entire league. I don't want a GM that is ok with guys like that playing on the Ottawa Senators. I would probably stop being a senators fan if we ever had a player like Neal or Cooke.

I'm glad Ruutu is gone, he wasn't even on the level of Neal or Cooke though.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, I don't want a GM who is comfortable paying good players.

There's enough good players in the league that you don't need to be playing people like James Neal and Matt ****ing Cooke (give me a break, good player really?). James Neal scores goals, but he's the biggest ******* in the NHL.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
6 years ago, on the backs of two superstars and a whole lot of luck.

I get that we need to remember he had two of the biggest names in hockey but it's hard to fault him too much for inheriting a good deal and winning a cup.

Ovechkin, Green and company back when Green was a star (30 goals) couldn't seem to get very far in the playoffs.

Tampa Bay after they won their cup - their big 3 couldn't get it done again in a salary cap world.

Anaheim couldn't manage again with Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne among others.

Hell - we had arguably the best line in hockey for several years and all that got us was one final appearance.

Shero got his team to the finals twice, won a cup once. He did this against one of the greatest defencemen of all time, one of the greatest coaches of all time and one of the greatest GMs of all time (in my opinion of course).

Shero has been a GM - are there any other candidates that anyone has in mind that were hockey GMs who did more with less, etc...?

I see assistant GMs being talked about but we can pick them apart even more than Shero - because they were assistants. They weren't entirely responsible for their team's success or lack of it.

Karlsson2Turris*

cereal_guy_spitting_by_rober_raik-d4clu6f.png

If Shero brings in Blysma

Greening - Turris - Stone
Legwand -Zibanejad - Condra
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Hoffman - Smith - Niel

Phillips - Karlsson
Boro - Ceci
Methot - Gryba

Shero is also the idiot that likes to make trades that hurts the teams future, and has a HORRIBLE draft record, why of all teams would the sens feel this is appropriate for them?

He made those trades when he knew the Pens' first round picks would be late since they were contenders. I wouldn't mind him if we keep our existing scouting staff.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I laugh when people bring up his draft record. Bryan Murray himself says he only really knows the first pick. You trust the staff. The staff here is pretty much Dorians. I'm assuming Dorian stays. And so does his staff. This team relies heavily on it's drafting and development. I don't think shero is gonna be like "yeah I have a terrible draft record, and Sens need great drafting. So I think I'll call up those guys from Pittsburgh".

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've never understood why GMs are praised or criticized for their drafting record when the decision of who to draft is almost unquestionably up to the scouting staff - that is, the people who's job it is to travel all over North America and Europe watching 17 year old kids play hockey. I guarantee it was not Ray Shero hopping from QMJHL game to QMJHL game to watch Angelo Esposito play in his draft year. Nor was it him who frequently traveled from Peterborough Ontario to Grand Forks North Dakota to make the decision as to whether Jordan Staal or Jonathan Toews would be the 2nd overall selection in 2006.

Although personally I think the Penguins scouting staff is not as incompetent as is thought of in this thread, the failures of the Penguins' drafting record is on them, not the GM. If Shero brought in all the amateur scouts when he came on board as GM in Pittsburgh, then he should deserve some blame; however if we're considering him for the GM position here in Ottawa, I doubt he'll be bringing his own amateur scouts with him, especially considering how capable our scouting staff has proven to be over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad