Speculation: Ray Shero 'inside track' to succeed GM Bryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And what do they have to show for that trade?

Other than the fact that every single year Neil and Niskanen outperformed Goligoski individually, let alone together?

They currently have Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling to show for it. Hornqvist is outproducing Neal at a cheaper price, and Spaling has been a solid 3rd liner for them.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I honestly think Shero basically 'succeeded' on the backs of Malkin and Crosby.
He mishandled Fleury (didn't they go a while without a proper goalie coach even?), couldn't find a steady winger for the top two centers in the league, and kept a coach on board for way longer than he should have.

I don't understand what you're trying to get at... Whether they won a cup with Niskanen and Neal or not it was a lopsided trade that Pittsburgh got the better of. Neal is a 30-40 goal scorer and Niskanen is as steady as the come. Goligoski on the other hand is barely a top 4 defender.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He mishandled Fleury (didn't they go a while without a proper goalie coach even?), couldn't find a steady winger for the top two centers in the league, and kept a coach on board for way longer than he should have.

But they still don't have this winger you guys are talking about.

Plus it's been non stop in penguin town with Crosby and Mallon injuries then fleury sucked in the playoffs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I have a bad feeling Dan Bylsma will be our head coach soon....

And for those worried about Dorian or Lee leaving as a result of Shero coming on board. From what I'm hearing, Shero is being brought on primarily because he's going to keep the structure of the scouting staff and GM team in place. He's been hand-picked by Melynk and Murray (mainly Melynk though).

This is why I'm not too happy about this, just more of the same management philosophy that I'm lukewarm on whether it's been successful.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ya all those great picks are really getting old.
Every team has players who have turned into great picks or just good hockey players. This team has one Stanley Cup final appearance in it's recent history & is on the verge of not making the playoffs again this season. Where are these great picks that are winning games for Ottawa? Ottawa has a lot of drafted players in their lineup but that could be because they are too cheap to spend money on better players & it isn't helping them to be a playoff team just yet either.

Any GM or coach with great players will have those who think it was the great players who made them successful & who can argue with that. Scotty Bowmen had a lot of great players playing for him throughout his career too. Shero tried on numerous occasions to get wingers for Crosby & Malkin & he did succeed from time to time. Ottawa tried to get wingers for Spezza as well & occasionally succeeded. I don't get how Shero mishandled Fleury who IMO is over rated & not as good as his draft ranking had him. IMO he is lucky he has those two on his team more so.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Goligoski for Neal AND Niskanen.

I thought that trade was lopsided and didn't understand why Dallas did it. When you take into account Dallas got rid of Neal cause he is a dirty POS, it was Pitt taking a flyer on a really skilled guy who Dallas didn't want to keep in the fold and look how it worked out. Pittsburgh got rid of Neal for the same reasons and lost Niskanen to FA, who really wasn't that great except for that 1 year that got him paid when all of their D was injured. Trades are all about circumstance and not necessarily the hustle of a good gm.

Shero sucks and couldn't build a multi cup winning team with arguably 2 of the best players in the world, he couldn't find a way to build a team with the numbers after signing Crosby and Malkin not to mention Fluery's terrible contract which also handcuffed them. I understand he drafted late every round but his inability to turn those picks into players either by draft or trade is very unimpressive. We need a gm that is all about the numbers and that knows how to take advantage of teams pressed against the cap, not a gm that is handed the mold of a dynasty team but can't figure out a way to work numbers to solidify his roster.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If we manage to draft Mcdavid and Eichel this could turn out great.

Ya that would be, but Arizona is playing no games here and are Mcdavid bound he will be player that saves the franchise like Crosby did when Pittsburgh was bankrupt and going to fold and magically in a 30 team lottery ended up with the most marketable player in the world. Senators are to middle of the pact for a top 2 pick, maybe even top 5 there are too many worse teams, they would really need to epic tank it to have a shot. If there is a shot at Taylor Hall and our first round pick needs to be involved I say do it and do it now, you aren't getting a better player drafting in the middle of the 1st round.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Every team has players who have turned into great picks or just good hockey players. This team has one Stanley Cup final appearance in it's recent history & is on the verge of not making the playoffs again this season. Where are these great picks that are winning games for Ottawa? Ottawa has a lot of drafted players in their lineup but that could be because they are too cheap to spend money on better players & it isn't helping them to be a playoff team just yet either.

Any GM or coach with great players will have those who think it was the great players who made them successful & who can argue with that. Scotty Bowmen had a lot of great players playing for him throughout his career too. Shero tried on numerous occasions to get wingers for Crosby & Malkin & he did succeed from time to time. Ottawa tried to get wingers for Spezza as well & occasionally succeeded. I don't get how Shero mishandled Fleury who IMO is over rated & not as good as his draft ranking had him. IMO he is lucky he has those two on his team more so.

8BqSYx0.png

mbkhMtu.jpg

:dunno:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I have a bad feeling Dan Bylsma will be our head coach soon....

And for those worried about Dorian or Lee leaving as a result of Shero coming on board. From what I'm hearing, Shero is being brought on primarily because he's going to keep the structure of the scouting staff and GM team in place. He's been hand-picked by Melynk and Murray (mainly Melynk though).

This is why I'm not too happy about this, just more of the same management philosophy that I'm lukewarm on whether it's been successful.

This is what I am most worried about. We already brought in a coach who Melnyk likes without any due diligence or interview process. Hiring a GM in the same way is just outright nepotism, which is not a great approach to having success in this league.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It might be more relevant to look at what Shero accomplished as AGM in Nashville rather than what he did in Pittsburgh. Certainly the mandate here is going to be much closer to Nashville's approach of 'draft and develop, compete on a shoestring budget' rather than Pittsburgh's 'perpetual all-in for Cups'.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Shero would be perfect for this team. Murray has done a great job rebuilding the franchise and stocking the team with young pieces. What we now need is a GM who can move some of the excess young pieces and acquire an impact player or two. Shero has proven that he's more than capable of making the big trade. Guy acquired Hossa for spare parts, took Dallas to town acquiring Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski, sold high on Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi. That kind of a trade is all this team is missing right now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What about Brian Burke? :P

There aren't too many GM options right now, but i bet he'd ditch the flams for a gm job.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
What about Brian Burke? :P

There aren't too many GM options right now, but i bet he'd ditch the flams for a gm job.

I'd take Burke in a heartbeat.

I'd also ****can Cameron and try and get Torts in as our coach. Melnyk-Burke-Tortorella combo would be awesome. We're gonna suck for the next few years anyway, may as well have an epically entertaining front office.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't have a problem with it.

He made some good deals, some bad ones. It's worth remembering he replaced Therrien with Bylsma mid season - and that same season they won the cup.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
I'm just happy we're looking at a real GM rather than simply promoting Dorian or Lee to save a few $$. Those guys just became AGMs so give them 3-4 years to learn the role before moving up to a GM.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd take Burke in a heartbeat.

I'd also ****can Cameron and try and get Torts in as our coach. Melnyk-Burke-Tortorella combo would be awesome. We're gonna suck for the next few years anyway, may as well have an epically entertaining front office.

I don't think the sleepy city of Ottawa could handle that kind of entertainment. It would be hilariously epic to see it, though. Craziest owner, GM and coach all under the same umbrella.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I would be very happy with Ray Shero: we get someone who's been a GM and has a working relationship with the League and other GMs.

For a team looking to transition from building a foundation to contending you definitely want someone who's played the game before(as being a GM, not hockey)

Guys like Yzerman coming in hot ( and it could be argued Stevie hasn't been all that amazing either) are the exception

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'd be okay with Burke but I'm not sure I could watch this team being coached by Torterella. Cameron is doing a great job anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad