Speculation: Ray Shero 'inside track' to succeed GM Bryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Exactly who I wanted to look at personally.. He started his career in Ottawa and build a perennial Stanley Cup Contender although Malkin and Crosby do help lol

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont like or hate Shero.

I'd consider his job with the Pens to be a disappointment. A few good trades. A few bad ones. Some awful drafting(Yes I realize its not just him doing the drafting).

WhiteLight*

Ugh. What makes this guy better than Dorion?

Don't like the way he handled Pittsburgh

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'll be for it. Asst in Ottawa and Nashville, both solid organizations through those years, and helped bring a cup to Pittsburgh. Maybe with our current drafting and his pro talent analysis we can stop the tire spinning and work our way up the ladder.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He has a pretty good trade record, if he sticks with our current scouting staff they could be a pretty good team. That two seconds for Douglas Murray trade scares the hell out of me though.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Please no. He hasn't proven a damned thing and his awful draft and trade record make me not want him at all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Would much rather have Shero than Dorrion & hopefully he brings in a new scouting staff, this one has grown stale.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What about Golagoski for Neal trade?

And what do they have to show for that trade?
I honestly think Shero basically 'succeeded' on the backs of Malkin and Crosby.
He mishandled Fleury (didn't they go a while without a proper goalie coach even?), couldn't find a steady winger for the top two centers in the league, and kept a coach on board for way longer than he should have.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I think he would be a great hire, he was very solid for Pittsburgh.

He was never afraid to make the big move and his trade record is very good- Hossa and Dupuis for nothing, Kunitz for Whitney, Guerin for nothing, Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski. With hindsight people look at the Murray, Iginla and Morrow deals as bad ones since they didn't get the job done, but those moves were praised at the time and won him the GM of the year. People also say he didn't do enough to help the goaltending situation, but when he added Vokoun people again praised the move for adding a solid veteran backup in case Fleury lost his mojo again.

It's his drafting that most people will bash, but I don't think he deserves too much criticism. He was either trading away picks for players since the team was in win now mode, or drafting players late since the team was always high in the standings. It's just now that you're starting to see his young players come along as Pittsburgh has a very good group of young defensemen [Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Despres]. Obviously a few young forwards would've been nice, but he seemed to want veterans that could play with Crosby and Malkin right away, hence all the trades for forwards, most of which worked in their favour.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't love Shero... don't hate him. I imagine his M.O. will be MUCH different with a team like the Sens, than it was with a Penguins team that was always searching for cheap spare parts to line up beside Sid & Geno to chase a cup with.

Like a few others have said, if we can maintain the Dorion-led scouting department, it might not be a bad move. Definitely not a home-run guy, though. Hiring a guy like Shero is like pulling up halfway to second base for a safe double instead of trying to stretch it out for that triple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad