Olympics: Rating Canadian D

Status
Not open for further replies.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Point was NHL regular season accomplishment is not really an indication of anything related to the Olympics. To me, the so-called by you "exhibition game" against Zurich is more indicative of things to come in the Olympics than the grinding schedule of the NHL season.

When it comes to Olympics Keith is the most overrated player on these boards right now. If you think that offensive "juggernaut" Keith just din't show up for this exhibition game - think again. He played for Canada in 08 where he had the whole two assists in 9 games, where they played against "lowly" Slovenia, Latvia, Germany and Norway twice.

Well good thing the Zurich Lions aren't in the Olympics, then.

He's the best defenseman in the freaking world right now, give it a rest.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
2008-09 is the season Duncan Keith became a Norris trophy contender so '08 WC aren't really "indicative" of anything, and this season he's the favourite to win, IMO.

There is no way Zurich Lions are a better team than Chicago Blackhawks. NHL accomplishments are nothing....:help:

While we're at it, let's also talk about Jonathan Toews struggling, Patrick Kane struggling.....Patrick Sharp.

I just find the bolded statement so funny, hilarious, ridiculous and astonishing at the same time.

They were in that particular game. Again, who cares about the 82 game NHL regular season here, you give it up already. When you play sudden death game versus virtually meaningless game in the season it is a lot different. Different pace, different nerves, different pressure and cost of a mistake. Zurich Lions would not be a good team in the NHL regular season.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
They were in that particular game. Again, who cares about the 82 game NHL regular season here, you give it up already. When you play sudden death game versus virtually meaningless game in the season it is a lot different. Different pace, different nerves, different pressure and cost of a mistake. Zurich Lions would not be a good team in the NHL regular season.

They beat HC Davos 9-2 the DAY before. You don't think there'd be a bit of a letdown the next night, considering it's exhibition and overseas? Zurich was obviously geared up for it, and the Hawks didn't match that intensity. 9/10 I'd take the Hawks, no question.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
They beat HC Davos 9-2 the DAY before. You don't think there'd be a bit of a letdown the next night, considering it's exhibition and overseas? Zurich was obviously geared up for it, and the Hawks didn't match that intensity. 9/10 I'd take the Hawks, no question.

I don't get it, why these excuses? Chicago is a better team with a better talent, no doubt about it. But what does it say that in a meaningless game they beat someone 9-2 and when something matters they lose and can't find a way to score??? How is that different from any international competition when one day you play teams like Slovenia, majority of which players play in Slovenian league and the other day you play Sweden for example?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Point was NHL regular season accomplishment is not really an indication of anything related to the Olympics. To me, the so-called by you "exhibition game" against Zurich is more indicative of things to come in the Olympics than the grinding schedule of the NHL season.

When it comes to Olympics Keith is the most overrated player on these boards right now. If you think that offensive "juggernaut" Keith just din't show up for this exhibition game - think again. He played for Canada in 08 where he had the whole two assists in 9 games, where they played against "lowly" Slovenia, Latvia, Germany and Norway twice.

Russia is in big trouble then as Markov, their top dman, only put up two assists in the same '08 tournament. Not to mention Gonchar has only put up four measly assists in 20 Olympic games.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009

It was an EXHIBITION, which the Blackhawks could'nt have cared less about. This is the olympics, the highest stage i nthe world. I think theres a tidbit of difference

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Russia is in big trouble then as Markov, their top dman, only put up two assists in the same '08 tournament. Not to mention Gonchar has only put up four measly assists in 20 Olympic games.

Well, Markov is better than Keith at this point. Sure, he had two points in 6 games, because he joined the team on the fly when the tournament was already going for one week, so he missed all the "easy" games against Italy and Denmark. This is a tough competition if you think the points come easy, this is not the NHL regular season. Consider that the quality of players is going to be even better than in Quebec don't be surprised that some players may disappoint.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well, Markov is better than Keith at this point.

That's debatable.

Sure, he had two points in 6 games, because he joined the team on the fly when the tournament was already going for one week, so he missed all the "easy" games against Italy and Denmark. This is a tough competition if you think the points come easy, this is not the NHL regular season.

So what you are saying is that Markov failed to step up when the competition got tougher?

Consider that the quality of players is going to be even better than in Quebec don't be surprised that some players may disappoint.

I am sure some players will disappoint, but others will over achieve. Your predictions are no more accurate than mine or any one else. My point being, that we could go through every teams roster and find players flaws. You chose team Canada's D (and Keith for some reason) and seem surprised when others have a different opinion from you.

My opinion differs from yours because, IMO, you seem to have ignored how Keith has played in last season's playoffs. Numerous people cite him as the best defenseman in the NHL since then and I tend to agree. We'll see how he does in Vancouver in a few weeks.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, Markov is better than Keith at this point. Sure, he had two points in 6 games, because he joined the team on the fly when the tournament was already going for one week, so he missed all the "easy" games against Italy and Denmark. This is a tough competition if you think the points come easy, this is not the NHL regular season. Consider that the quality of players is going to be even better than in Quebec don't be surprised that some players may disappoint.

Why do you keep mentioning Quebec? Duncan Keith is a far better player than he was in 2008. Do you not understand that?
Good luck with Nikulin, Grebeshkov (turnover machine) and Kalinin (seriously....Dmitri Kalinin :laugh:) trying to go against best players in the world.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They have the best D in the tournament by far. There isn't a weakness on that defense corps. All of them can pretty much play at both ends of the ice very effective. I still might have had Mike Green on there based on his rushes and offensive instincts alone but when you have Weber, Boyle and Keith as powerplay catalysts it doesn't matter. In fact all but Seabrook are excellent on the PP

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Why do you keep mentioning Quebec? Duncan Keith is a far better player than he was in 2008. Do you not understand that?
Good luck with Nikulin, Grebeshkov (turnover machine) and Kalinin (seriously....Dmitri Kalinin :laugh:) trying to go against best players in the world.

Keith is a talented player, there is no doubt about that. As far as he is better now than he was in 07-08, that is very subjective. By all means he was young and now almost 2 years older but in 07-08 he played some terrific hockey in the NHL regular season. Sure, he puts more points this year but the whole Chicago team is much better than it was back then. He was +30 over the season. Nobody could touch him on that team already. So, I am not sure this is a fair statement simply because he is older.

Anyways, Russia's D was fine with Nikulin and Kalinin in the last three years. At the Worlds Russia lost only one game in the last three years, and that was in OT. Last regular time loss was 4 years ago, so I wouldn't be too worried about those two fellas, even though they don't play in the NHL Nikulin has been getting top minutes on this team.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Can we switch to more important issues - like pairing, special teams, shutdown teams?

So who do you see getting top minutes?

I guess at this point it is only clear that Seabrook will play with Keith, right?

Pronger-Niedermayer?
Boyle-Doughty?
Weber-Doughty?
Boyle-Weber?

Or perhaps older guy with young guy?
Pronger-Doughty?
Weber-Niedermayer?

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Can we switch to more important issues - like pairing, special teams, shutdown teams?

So who do you see getting top minutes?

I guess at this point it is only clear that Seabrook will play with Keith, right?

Pronger-Niedermayer?
Boyle-Doughty?
Weber-Doughty?
Boyle-Weber?

Or perhaps older guy with young guy?
Pronger-Doughty?
Weber-Niedermayer?

First of all, Keith is much better than in 07-08. Points alone don't tell the story....You have to watch him play. In terms of international success, Canada has never had their #1 or 2 goaltender play in World Championships for like ever now....who knows about '08 if we actually had our starter and better defenseman (like Russia who had Markov, Nikulin, Grebeshkov (?)...same guys who are in the Olympics).

As for the pairings:
Scott Niedermayer - Shea Weber
Chris Pronger - Dan Boyle
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty

Dan Boyle and Chris Pronger played together in the camp, and when asked by the media, Boyle said that it would likely be Pronger though nothing is set in stones.

Keith and Seabrook will obviously play together.

sensfan83*

Can we switch to important issues - like how the Chicago Blackhawks lost to the Zurich Lions in an exhibition game.

Don't just brush off such an important indicator of how the Canadian Olympic team will do against Olympic competition.

I hope Babcock is carefully reviewing video of that game and dissecting it as we speak. His adjustments based on that game could make or break Canada's chances in the Olympics. In fact, that game by the Chicago Blackhawks may have just ushered in a new era of Swiss dominance and Canadian failure in the Olympics. We can only pray that Babcock can motivate Canada to learn from the Blackhawks historical loss and rebound in Vancouver.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Can we switch to important issues - like how the Chicago Blackhawks lost to the Zurich Lions in an exhibition game.

Don't just brush off such an important indicator of how the Canadian Olympic team will do against Olympic competition.

I hope Babcock is carefully reviewing video of that game and dissecting it as we speak. His adjustments based on that game could make or break Canada's chances in the Olympics. In fact, that game by the Chicago Blackhawks may have just ushered in a new era of Swiss dominance and Canadian failure in the Olympics. We can only pray that Babcock can motivate Canada to learn from the Blackhawks historical loss and rebound in Vancouver.

This was an exhibition game only for sore losers. Move on.

Also, if there are more sore losers who want to say it was an exhibition - this was a recognized by IIHF (just like WC, WJC, Olympic Games) international club competition with the prize money of $1 mln. Let's close this issue.

Last edited:

sensfan83*

Even if I agreed that the game was important to the Chicago Blackhawks. What relevance does that have to the Canadian Olympic team? It's not like Keith and Seabrook will be expected to carry the offensive load for Crosby, Heatley, Getzlaf, Thornton, Nash, Marleau, Perry, Staal, Richards, Toews, Iginla, etc. It was a Pejorative Slured argument to begin with but you're the one who told us not to brush it off. So lets keep discussing how the Chicago Blackhawks losing this extremely important game is so important to the Canadian Olympic team please.

sensfan83*

Also, if there are more sore losers who want to say it was an exhibition - this was a recognized by IIHF (just like WC, WJC, Olympic Games) international club competition with the prize money of $1 mln. Let's close this issue.

:laugh: Sore losers? I'm not even a Chicago fan so how can I be a sore loser? No one cares about the Zurich Lions. Get over it.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
While I disagree with Siberian, I can sort of see where he is coming from. A one game series, win-or-die, is where the theoretical favorites, the Blackhawks, came up short. I don't see how it's K-S fault, if they weren't on ice for Zurich's goals.

SC PO are not exactly Olympics either. If that was the case, Canadian teams that have the abundance of such experience, would win every year. But they only won once, with help from Belarus.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
While I disagree with Siberian, I can sort of see where he is coming from. A one game series, win-or-die, is where the theoretical favorites, the Blackhawks, came up short. I don't see how it's K-S fault, if they weren't on ice for Zurich's goals.

SC PO are not exactly Olympics either. If that was the case, Canadian teams that have the abundance of such experience, would win every year. But they only won once, with help from Belarus.

The only thing I was trying to say that the way they played it was nothing to write home about. They didn't dominate, they didn't provide any real offense but also didn't really make any mistakes. Keith is overrated on these boards now that he got to a point where he is untouchable and when you say something you get bunch of people attacking you.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

This was not necessary, unless you are trying to pick a fight.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006

If it was worth something, Blackhawks would've actually competed. The night before they won 9-2 or something....and plus not all players were playing, and this, in no shape or form, tell us about Keith and Seabrook.

Your last sentence is mind boggling. Belarus was the better team....They won against Sweden, and we beat them. Instead of giving Canada credit, let's call them lucky. Whatever....

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
If it was worth something, Blackhawks would've actually competed. The night before they won 9-2 or something....and plus not all players were playing, and this, in no shape or form, tell us about Keith and Seabrook.

Your last sentence is mind boggling. Belarus was the better team....They won against Sweden, and we beat them. Instead of giving Canada credit, let's call them lucky. Whatever....

Are you saying they forgot to show up? Ha, perhaps that's the things to come!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad