Rate the Oilers deadline

Rate the Oilers deadline

• Total voters

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Unlike Bjugstad....Henrique has been an offensive playuer throughout his career regardless of usage.
These are just facts.

The 4 year window is relavent because your post was cherry picking recent stats and wasnt an accurate reflection of the players.
It was the last TWO YEARS, for a player 34+, their stats 4 years ago are about as relevant as Gordie Howe’s stats in 1964.

You dont acquire guys at the trade deadline based on what they were doing 4 years ago.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I'd give it a D at best. Have to see how Henrique does. So far he just looks like any other bottom six player

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was the last TWO YEARS, for a player 34+, their stats 4 years ago are about as relevant as Gordie Howe’s stats in 1964.

You dont acquire guys at the trade deadline based on what they were doing 4 years ago.
Look at the numbers for yourself.
Henrique has been consistent over the last 4 years. So has Bjugstad but the difference is that his numbers over that timespan are not (and have not been) very good at all.
Its really that simple.

If you want to have a discussion about when Henrique falls off a cliff (assuming he will) thats a different discussion. It certainly hasnt happened yet.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Look at the numbers for yourself.
Henrique has been consistent over the last 4 years. So has Bjugstad but the difference is that his numbers over that timespan are not (and have not been) very good at all.
Its really that simple.

If you want to have a discussion about when Henrique falls off a cliff (assuming he will) thats a different discussion. It certainly hasnt happened yet.
The thought of resigning him at 34 tho

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Voted C. I like Henrique. He's been a Duck for ages and it's taking him a while to adapt to new systems but you can see the talent. Like Stetcher too, he's an underrated pickup.

I don't see much if any value in Carrick and don't understand why we were so fixated on him. I also think we could have and should have done more considering the other powers in the West loaded up and we made a quick stop at Save-On.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
I think most agree that KH made upgrades to the oilers this trade deadline……we’ve been the best team in the NHL for most of a season now. It was money in money out, and the players that got us here want to finish it together. I say go get ‘em boys!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't mind the trades Holland did make but it also seems like he didn't try hard enough to do better, especially in his final year as GM. When you look at what other teams did it's hard to feel that great about what players ours acquired. It really feels like Holloway and Broberg aren't going to pan out here, why are we keeping them?

I usually am a staunch defender of Kenny simply because of the mess he was dealt and his systematic efforts to correct it. I honestly think he's done a great job with very little support from the cap. He obviously made some serious errors along the way, but en masse we are a massively improved team since Chiarelli decimated us.

Having said that... yeah, at the moment I kinda agree. I'm not holding big hopes for Holloway (even though I had been since his draft) and I am only slightly more hopeful for Broberg (based only on what I'm reading about him in the AHL).

But you make a very important point here:
1) Holding them didn't feel very "all in" to me, and
2) They'd better pan out next year (where we all sign Kenny's praises for the cheap talent) or it will be a big stain on his body of work

For the record I think I voted B or B+ (it would have depended on my mood).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Henrique pans out, I'd offer a 2 year deal at 2 mill/per, nothing more. We simply don't have a lot of money to give out to bottom 6 players, what with Nurse's enormous anchor contract, the Campbell and Brown screwups, and Bouch and Drai's contracts expiring.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Henrique pans out, I'd offer a 2 year deal at 2 mill/per, nothing more. We simply don't have a lot of money to give out to bottom 6 players, what with Nurse's enormous anchor contract, the Campbell and Brown screwups, and Bouch and Drai's contracts expiring.

His wife is pretty entrenched in So Cal it sounds like. Pretty sure he will re-up back down there.

This is looking like mostly a rental for a 1st, he better pay dividends.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Duclair looks amazing playing on Tampa's top line. Still frustrated Holland didn't add to the top 6.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
The Oilers did great imo.

They added a serviceable defenceman, solid playoff-type fwd in Henrique, and that's all you can ask at this time of year.

We didn't need to add anyone for the PP, we added the two top PK fwds from Anaheim (not a great pk, but Cam Fowler is their pk TOI leader) and the #4 d-man from Arizona's pk.

Maybe we could have traded Kane for another power fwd, but his upside is way higher than his trade value right now imo. He could be a guy that the Oilers wouldn't want to play against this year, and there wasn't a great deal to be had out there with him as bait.

I don't know what to say about the goalies. After the 5th shot on net, Skinner is a great goalie. Maybe we should sub him in at the 10-minute mark lol.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
I'm not holding big hopes for Holloway (even though I had been since his draft) and I am only slightly more hopeful for Broberg (based only on what I'm reading about him in the AHL).
As far as Holloway is concerned, I think it's a big ask for a guy his age to generate offence down with the pluggers.
I'd love to see what he could do with some of our top fwds and I think it's useless to evaluate him otherwise.
He has the speed, the skill, the grit to go to the net, but he's used as a checker. He literally has 4 seconds/game on the pp.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
As far as Holloway is concerned, I think it's a big ask for a guy his age to generate offence down with the pluggers.
I'd love to see what he could do with some of our top fwds and I think it's useless to evaluate him otherwise.
He has the speed, the skill, the grit to go to the net, but he's used as a checker. He literally has 4 seconds/game on the pp.

Look I agree that he's still young, and has been set back a bit by injury.

But I think you are giving him too much benefit of the doubt here. The other players on his line are outproducing him at 5v5 both in terms of PTS/60 and oiGF.

His rates in both departments are Connor Brown-esque, half of what guys like Ryan, Janmark, McLeod all achieve. Maybe your right, it's youth and he needs more time to ripen in the AHL, or maybe he's just an AHL guy. Either way, he's far off the trajectory we should be expecting for a 1st round pick.

At his age, both Foegele and McLeod were establishing themselves as solid third liners.

I'm not saying it won't happen. But given his trajectory he moved off my "never trade" list and firmly onto "if the return is useful now" list. But regardless, he didn't get traded, so I probably hold onto him now for another year hoping for a breakout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad