Rate the Oilers deadline

Rate the Oilers deadline

• Total voters

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe you’re right and there wasn’t an upgrade for Ceci out there in the last handful of days.

We are in our 3rd season now of him in our top 4. There hasn’t been an upgrade on him at any point in that time? It’s been abundantly clear his entire tenure here he’s not an adequate top 4 dman to win a cup.

And as @guymez said, just because an upgrade wasn’t traded (outside of Tanev and potentially Walker) doesn’t mean there weren’t deals to be made.

Not a single insider in the world had a clue of Hertl being available until the deal went through.

The deals are there to be made if you’ve got the GM to make them.

Exactly. McCrimmon grabbed Mantha and Hanifin. Was he done after? Nope. Did his job aggressively and made a trade for a player that nobody expected or thought that would get moved. Us? Probably just Eberle in the morning hoping he doesn't re-sign with Seattle with no backup plan in B, C, D, etc. Huge difference between a GM who makes excuses on why he can't make trades and a GM who plainly just shuts up and works effectively. If only we hired McCrimmon when he was available, this team would most likely have been a cup winner. What a complete waste of years with McDrai by having both Chiarelli and Holland as GM.

Duder54

Pretty underwhelming deadline. Henrique makes the middle 6 significantly better and Carrick and Stecher are good depth adds, but not upgrading the defence is a pretty big miss imo. Going into the playoffs with the same defence as last year seems like the definition of insanity to me.

Reactions: The Bored Man

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Henrique is about 2 1/2 years older than Bjugstad but they arent at all similar players offensively at this stage.
In the 3 seasons previous to this season Bjugstand has averaged 10 goals per season.
In the same time span Henrique has averaged 18 goals per season.

Their points totals essentially follow that same trend....almost double the offensive output for Henrique.

They have the Same # of goals at even strength over the last 2 years, they’re only gonna play ES here. We used Bjugstad on the 2nd line in playoffs last year for some reason too. I think Bjugstad is a good fit for the 3rd line role for us and cost us a low pick and like 200k in cap. We paid enormously for Henrique in both actual and opportunity cost as we allowed better cheaper players to go to our rivals. If we’re going to use him as a top 6 winger like we did in CBJ, it’s hard to imagine him being anywhere near as effective or as good of a fit as Toffoli who has 60 goals at RW in his last 2 years to Henriques 30… double.

I hope that Henrique can prove his value here somehow but we paid way more for him than guys who are proven top 6 wingers on good teams. Henrique and Carrick being bottom 6 centres on one of the worst teams in the league makes you wonder how they’re supposed to help us win if they can’t even play their way off bottom lines on bottom feeders.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
B from me, they filled their holes with players who have playoff experience.

Henrique is a high end middle 6 forward who can play wing and center, good offense numbers and reliable all over the ice in all situations.

Carrick is the right handed 4th line own zone face off man needed in the postseason.

Stetcher is a bottom 6 D with good puck recovery skills with some playoff experience and should be given a shot if Ceci can’t up his game.

I also can’t fault Holland for doing better, we’re cap strung and nobody wanted our players with term as cap dumps. Only one trade went down similarly Johansen from Colorado to Philly and if reports are believed we tried a similar deal for Tanev. This offer of Ceci and a first was reportedly out there with no takers, and Holland pivoted to the Anaheim deal and got it done with significant cap retention.

Can’t force opposing GMs to take back in deals what they don’t want. Arizona wouldn’t retain on the Stetcher deal either, this is the trade climate now, we moved our first and other teams can handle more cap or give more or better prospects, and at the end of the day an opposing team GM is going to do what’s best for their team, nobody is going to help the Oilers out and take on cap out of the kindness of their hearts.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Going into the playoffs with the same defence as last year seems like the definition of insanity to me.
Indeed, this is the main concern.

However, on the positive side, Desharnais is playoff seasoned now, and he's been (mostly) better this season than last. I feel better about Nurse and Ceci when they're not in the same pairing. I also feel Kulak is better this year than last year.

I think fans on here sometimes forget that players can actually get better from one season to the next.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One aspect with the defence I think people are missing though. The Oil can go in a very different direction if the slower boots of Ceci and Vinny struggle again in the playoffs: speed.

Hell, I fully expect Stecher to steal one of Vinny or Ceci's spots within the next 5 games.

Though my bold claim for the defence: I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Broberg push his way into the mix come playoffs. Coffee isn't anywhere as conservative as Manson, so I don't see him having the same unquestionable believe that defenceman can't play their off side.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

However, on the positive side, Desharnais is playoff seasoned now, and he's been (mostly) better this season than last. I feel better about Nurse and Ceci when they're not in the same pairing. I also feel Kulak is better this year than last year.

I think fans on here sometimes forget that players can actually get better from one season to the next.

Yep, Bouchard and Vinny are far more established than they were this time last year. Plus going from Manson to Coffee has the entire unit playing with a far different philosophy.

The names on the jerseys are (mostly) the same, but there's been a lot of growth.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Yep, Bouchard and Vinny are far more established that they were this time last year. Plus going from Manson to Coffee has the entire unit playing with a far different philosophy.

The names on the jerseys are (mostly) the same, but there's been a lot of growth.
Don’t get at all why some fans are ripping on Desharnais, he’s played great all year and is doing well a pair higher in the order. He puts up solid minutes in our end with minimal mistakes. May not be the fastest guy back and can’t send stretch passes up the ice but is solid and a more viable option for significant playoff minutes than Ceci.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Don’t get at all why some fans are ripping on Desharnais, he’s played great all year and is doing well a pair higher in the order. He puts up solid minutes in our end with minimal mistakes. May not be the fastest guy back and can’t send stretch passes up the ice but is solid and a more viable option for significant playoff minutes than Ceci.
I like him and he’s found money in many ways. But I’m terrified of him playing top four minutes against the best teams in the league, it’s not fair to him, especially when his partner will be nurse who has his own flaws. The player isn’t the problem , it’s the roster makeup that is going to have him playing above his head that is.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Why is Bujgstad is so over rated on this board. Ask yourself, why was this player only offered a $2 million contract by one of the worst teams in the NHL?

Their system last year was broken. Hopefully, the zone coverage is a big enough improvement.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
Compared to the other good teams in the west, I think we failed. It seems like Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Colorado, and Dallas all improved more than we did. I'm happy with the depth, but it doesn't seem like enough.

I know one thing, we got slower, again. And I don't that's an improvement.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Compared to the other good teams in the west, I think we failed. It seems like Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Colorado, and Dallas all improved more than we did. I'm happy with the depth, but it doesn't seem like enough.

I know one thing, we got slower, again. And I don't that's an improvement.

Who did Dallas get? Just Tanev and no one is freaking out over there.

Vancouver? They picked up Lindholm early and hasn't been great for them.

Vegas might fall out of the playoffs with all their injuries right now. Mantha has replaced Stone. Hanifin replaced Martinez. Vegas has been one of the worst teams in the league since November

Full marks to Colorado who got better. They still need to find a way to keep the goals against down. Definitely improved though.

Winnipeg looks good to. I'm glad they arent in our division.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
Who did Dallas get? Just Tanev and no one is freaking out over there.

Vancouver? They picked up Lindholm early and hasn't been great for them.

Vegas might fall out of the playoffs with all their injuries right now. Mantha has replaced Stone. Hanifin replaced Martinez. Vegas has been one of the worst teams in the league since November

Full marks to Colorado who got better. They still need to find a way to keep the goals against down. Definitely improved though.

Winnipeg looks good to. I'm glad they arent in our division.

You know the Vegas players will all be back for the playoffs, right? That's their thing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't mind the trades Holland did make but it also seems like he didn't try hard enough to do better, especially in his final year as GM. When you look at what other teams did it's hard to feel that great about what players ours acquired. It really feels like Holloway and Broberg aren't going to pan out here, why are we keeping them?

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The moves were not bad moves. We are still on a collision course with a bunch of other teams who always want it more and start playoff hockey early. Unless Knob can get these guys playing heavy aggressive hockey starting now, they'll limp into it again and our D/G are not the strongest.

Of course there's teams that are above and beyond others, but it really is a crapshoot to win it all. This team can do it. Many others can do it. What needs to happen though is so many pieces need to fall into place. Yet that's not unlike any other team - even VGN Jets Avs whom many are seeing as front runners. All players need to fit in, work systems, dressing room, etc.

I still like our chances when / if we bring our A game

VerdadII

Mar 7, 2024
The deadline has made the OIlers worse.
Duck players are utterly inconsequential.
No effort to move Nurse.
His gross play just gets worse and worse.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I don't see how you can in good faith rate this deadline as anything above a C, should be a D at max. We added the least out of any of the 7 Western Conference title contenders and overpaid more than anyone besides Vancouver and maaaaaybe Colorado depending on how the Byram Mittlestadt thing goes, and did so at our strongest position in center while failing to address the two biggest needs: 2RW and 2RHD. Holland also had the audacity to increase the price we paid for Henrique with 75% retention and a dog shit 4C just to not make use of that cap space whatsoever. We have nearly 1 million in unused cap space and that's after trading for a nonimpact player in Troy Stecher of all people to fill out some of it. This is almost as bad as when Chiarelli bought out Benoit Pouliot and then didn't use like 3 million giving us dead cap for an extra 2 years for no reason. Just beyond clueless general managing. Can't wait until Holland is gone.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They have the Same # of goals at even strength over the last 2 years, they’re only gonna play ES here. We used Bjugstad on the 2nd line in playoffs last year for some reason too. I think Bjugstad is a good fit for the 3rd line role for us and cost us a low pick and like 200k in cap. We paid enormously for Henrique in both actual and opportunity cost as we allowed better cheaper players to go to our rivals. If we’re going to use him as a top 6 winger like we did in CBJ, it’s hard to imagine him being anywhere near as effective or as good of a fit as Toffoli who has 60 goals at RW in his last 2 years to Henriques 30… double.

I hope that Henrique can prove his value here somehow but we paid way more for him than guys who are proven top 6 wingers on good teams. Henrique and Carrick being bottom 6 centres on one of the worst teams in the league makes you wonder how they’re supposed to help us win if they can’t even play their way off bottom lines on bottom feeders.
Way too small of a smaple size (especially when you consider that Bjugstand is having an outlier season) so lets expand that a bit to 4 years and see where that takes us.

In the last 4 seasons (previous to this season) Henrique has 63 even strength goals which averages out to approx 16 golas per season.
Over that same time frame Bjugstad has 28 even strength goals which averages out to 7 goals per season.

So just based on even strength scoring there is a considerable gap between the players. There is more than a 2-1 difference in goal scoring. Thats massive.

Henrique is a much more effective player 5x5.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Only way we win a cup is if Skinner becomes 2006 Roloson in the playoffs.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Way too small of a smaple size (especially when you consider that Bjugstand is having an outlier season) so lets expand that a bit to 4 years and see where that takes us.

In the last 4 seasons (previous to this season) Henrique has 63 even strength goals which averages out to approx 16 golas per season.
Over that same time frame Bjugstad has 28 even strength goals which averages out to 7 goals per season.

So just based on even strength scoring there is a considerable gap between the players. There is more than a 2-1 difference in goal scoring. Thats massive.

Henrique is a much more effective player 5x5.

you wanna take a guy aged 34 and take into account what he was doing when he was 29 going on 30? And this year is not a total outlier for Bjugstad, he had a big year in Florida when he was played with more offensive players. Henrique is a solid veteran player but even this year the ducks stopped playing him with his usual 2way linemates jones and silfverberg in the new year and started running him with guys like Leo Carlsson and Troy Terry to pump his numbers before TDL.

Anything that happened 4 years ago is ancient history for a guy on the tail end of things. The gap between what we paid for these guys is a lot bigger than the gap between what they can produce today. You look at Toffoli who went for less, and he produces DOUBLE what these guys do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
you wanna take a guy aged 34 and take into account what he was doing when he was 29 going on 30? And this year is not a total outlier for Bjugstad, he had a big year in Florida when he was played with more offensive players. Henrique is a solid veteran player but even this year the ducks stopped playing him with his usual 2way linemates jones and silfverberg in the new year and started running him with guys like Leo Carlsson and Troy Terry to pump his numbers before TDL.

Anything that happened 4 years ago is ancient history for a guy on the tail end of things. The gap between what we paid for these guys is a lot bigger than the gap between what they can produce today. You look at Toffoli who went for less, and he produces DOUBLE what these guys do.
Bjugstad hasnt had any semblance of offence in his game since he was with Florida back in 2017-18.
He hasnt been able to sustain anything at all since then. The offence didnt follow him as his career moved forward. That is very suspect.
Unlike Bjugstad....Henrique has been an offensive playuer throughout his career regardless of usage.
These are just facts.

The 4 year window is relavent because your post was omitting a broader source of data which was a more accurate reflection of the players.

I get that Henrique is 34 and in the down side of his career. That wasnt really up for debate.
The debate was about which player is better offensively and that player is Henrique even at 34 years of age.
How effective will he be next year or even the season after...most likely less effective and I hope that is taken into consideration if the team decides to sign him after this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad