Rate the Oilers deadline

Rate the Oilers deadline

• Total voters

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I know people wanted impact players but it was never going to happen unless we prioritized a single skater and gave up roster players to make it work

The Ceci upgrade we needed just wasn't out there, so we kept all our near NHL ready prospects and roster players and picked up three gamers for magic beans. That's pretty good even though it isn't ideal. Sounds like the Oil tried hard for Tanev, which was the only real upgrade out there imo

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
You're literally guessing yourself.
For sure but my point is Seravalli makes a statment as though he knows everything that was going on with Holland and Verbeek. Like there were no other deals discussed or almost made and there is no way he could know that. If the deal wasn't made weeks ago its because one or both parties were still exploring options. Maybe waiting to see who else might become sellers or buyers like a lot of teams.. I think its fair value compared to other deals that were made. It just seemed like a strange take.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The moves were not bad moves. We are still on a collision course with a bunch of other teams who always want it more and start playoff hockey early. Unless Knob can get these guys playing heavy aggressive hockey starting now, they'll limp into it again and our D/G are not the strongest.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I just looked over at the Toronto board to see how the fans rated Treliving. They actually rated him as having a better deadline by comparison to what Oilers fans rated Holland. That's crazy to me.

In what world is Lyubushkin, Edmundson and Dewar better than Henrique, Carrick and Stetcher? You can probably include Perry into the mix as well.

Oilers fans are being too critical when their really wasn't a whole lot available on the market. I would have liked another move as well but when was the last time a single deadlinr move (outside a goalie) won a team a championship?

Reactions: brentashton

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I know people wanted impact players but it was never going to happen unless we prioritized a single skater and gave up roster players to make it work

The Ceci upgrade we needed just wasn't out there, so we kept all our near NHL ready prospects and roster players and picked up three gamers for magic beans. That's pretty good even though it isn't ideal. Sounds like the Oil tried hard for Tanev, which was the only real upgrade out there imo
The Oilers have gotten their impact players as free agents: Hyman, Kane, Perry. Last year they traded for a 6M player in Ekholm, who was not a mere rental. There's only so much you can fit at the trade deadline in the capped league.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hertl has term and Hanifin is signing a gigantic extension so…. We’ll be spending our cap increase on Connor Brown’s ghost and the Jack Campbell buyout. It’d be pretty funny if we managed to give them a run for their money before McDrai leave though. Like, people would have a good laugh.
Technically we won't be paying for Campbell out of the increase as we are already slated to pay that.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So Servalli on Stauff’s show yesterday said he doesn’t understand why Holland didn’t make the Henrique/Carrick deal a month ago. It was the same deal. Servalli goes on to use Winnipeg as an example and talks about Monohan and how Winnipeg tried him out for 36 days and gave them an idea of what else they need with plenty of time ahead of the deadline. We all know, however, Holland only works a week in the summer and a well during the deadline. The rest of the time he’s napping

I think the other problem was his offseason. We literally entered the season with a bottom 6 that didn’t work. He could of signed some guys to minimum deals. And I don’t buy the fact that he was leaving room for prospects.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Pretty much what I expected, so I really can't be disappointed based on those expectations. However, it would have been nice to have been pleasantly surprised, but it looks like the old fella only has one Ekholm miracle in him.
Henrique is a solid addition. But Perry is kind of a trade deadline type of deal too, except as a free agent. Others are just for depth.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just looked over at the Toronto board to see how the fans rated Treliving. They actually rated him as having a better deadline by comparison to what Oilers fans rated Holland. That's crazy to me.

In what world is Lyubushkin, Edmundson and Dewar better than Henrique, Carrick and Stetcher? You can probably include Perry into the mix as well.

Oilers fans are being too critical when their really wasn't a whole lot available on the market. I would have liked another move as well but when was the last time a single deadlinr move (outside a goalie) won a team a championship?
Could be that they just don’t have much in terms of picks. So fans have less expectations. I mean Dubas has been draining the cupboards the last 4 years on bottom pairing dman and bottom 6 fake tough guys.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Because apparently slotting VD in the top four is the answer (its not). The oilers defense will be the reason why this team doesn't win the cup this season.
They should have upgraded on Ceci in the off-season. But that's with hindsight. Not a lot of cap space or assets to work with either.

They should have three goalies for the playoffs, just in case.
Can they summon Campbell for the playoff run?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

We dont really know that.
Sure the media has their reports but its not like they are in the discussion rooms and hear everything thats being talked about.
Many players were talked about today and most of that will never be disclosed because it doesnt benefit the players or the teams in any way. Mcuh of what goes on will remain confidental.

Now it may well be that there wasnt anything out there for Holland (because of the limited cap space) but we cant gloss over the reality of what Holland has done to limit his ability to make this team better by signing Campbell.

Now having said all that (and having a little bit of time to digest things) this team might be okay as is assuming they can commit to playing the tight defensive style that got them 16 wins in a row and if they continue to be lucky with injuries.
Henrique helps that cause by adding some depth. So does Carrick.

I misssed mentioning Stecher in my previous post in this thread only because I dont think that he is an upgrade over Ceci. He brings a different tool box than Ceci but he isnt a player thats going to elevate the defence if he plays in place of Ceci. He does provide added depth though.

So there are a lof of questions marks for me which is why I wanted a little more from Holland.
I expected that he would have done more to increase the probablity that this team can compete for a SC.
My concerns....
Can Skinner play at a high level in the playoffs? He has never done that before.
Can this team play a tight team based defensive system in the playoffs? A system that helps compensate for their lack of quality on defence. They have not been able to do that in their playoff appearances so far.
Does their top 6 have enough scoring depth to carry the team offensively if there is an injury?
If the answer to all of those things turns out to be 'yes' then they have a good chance at pushing through strong playoff ready teams like Vegas, Colorado and Winnipeg.
Teams that IMO have less question marks than the Oilers do.

We shall see how it plays out.

Reactions: McAsuno

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
At the end of the day, compared to last year, I break it down as follows:

2022-2023​
2023-2024​
Kailer YamamotoConnor Brown
Klim KostinSam Carrick
Nick BjugstadAdam Henrique
________Corey Perry

I like Yams and Kostin more than Brown and Carrick, but Henrique is better than Bjugstad. Perry is a pure addition. I think we're slightly better than last year at playoff time, but I wish there was a more obvious improvement. Overall I feel like we're coming in with a very similar quality roster to what we had last playoffs. Vegas is much improved. We can still win, but it's frustrating that we didn't do more.
You can't even compare this players;

Henrique & Perry is moons better than all those three players. Hell I even count Brown better than those. Carrick is a Yamamoto esque. That tells the whole story.

Perry > Kostin
Henrique > Bjugstad
Carrick = Yamamoto
Connor Brown

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Henrique & Perry is moons better than all those three players. Hell I even count Brown better than those. Carrick is a Yamamoto esque. That tells the whole story.

Perry > Kostin
Henrique > Bjugstad
Carrick = Yamamoto
Connor Brown
Henrique is not better than Bjugstad and Carrick is a different player than Yamamoto, though maybe better suited for the playoffs. Perry has skill, experience and the bite to his game, but he's also different from Kostin. It'd be nice to have both of them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Perry > Kostin
Henrique > Bjugstad
Carrick = Yamamoto
Connor Brown
These comparisons dont work though. You are comparing a 4th line centre in Carrick to a middle 6 winger in Yamamoto.

This season the Oilers have brought in 3 centres which replace 3 wingers.
So being that we cant compare position to position for all the players maybe we can focus on the players in terms of TOI when the positions dont align.
I think that something like this may be a little fairer....

4th liner Carrick >= 4th liner Kostin. Each player has skills the other doesnt have but Carrick plays centre and plays on the PK...Kostin doesnt do either. Thats a plus for Carrick.

Henrique > Bjugstad...by a lot.
Both are centres but Henrique can play much higher up in the lineup. He is just a much better overall player.

Perry > Yamamoto in some areas but not in other areas. Both are middle 6 players but I give the edge to Perry in terms of size and durability and also experience. I think those things will be a plus in the playoffs.

I like Brown on the PK and (for the most part) he has been fine defensively as well but obviously he needs to do more on offence. Not nearly good enough in that regard but the good news for him...every player restarts offensively in the playoffs. So he gets a redo.

In any event when we add in Stecher in place of Broberg that is a big upgrade as well. Much more experienced dman and a player that has been an effective top 4 player in his career.
Something that Broberg hasnt done yet. So rotating dmen as required (which is something I think Knoblauch will do) means that the team has more options with Stecher than it did with Broberg.

So the team is better than last season IMO but is it good enough to win it all?
I dont know.
Its a big question mark.

Henrique is not better than Bjugstad and Carrick is a different player than Yamamoto, though maybe better suited for the playoffs. Perry has skill, experience and the bite to his game, but he's also different from Kostin. It'd be nice to have both of them.
Henrique is much better than Bjugstad. Why would you think otherwise?

Last edited:

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
At this point we can only pray that Stecher or Desharnais miraculously improve enough to slide into Ceci's spot and upgrade the second pairing, and Skinner doesn't go through a third slump this season. Or if Skinner does slump again, that Picard plays the best hockey of his entire mediocre career.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
These comparisons dont work though. You are comparing a 4th line centre in Carrick to a middle 6 winger in Yamamoto.

This season the Oilers have brought in 3 centres which replace 3 wingers.
So being that we cant compare position to position for all the players maybe we can focus on the players in terms of TOI when the positions dont align.
I think that something like this may be a little fairer....

4th liner Carrick >= 4th liner Kostin. Each player has skills the other doesnt have but Carrick plays centre and plays on the PK...Kostin doesnt do either. Thats a plus for Carrick.

Henrique > Bjugstad...by a lot.
Both are centres but Henrique can play much higher up in the lineup. He is just a much better overall player.

Perry > Yamamoto in some areas but not in other areas. Both are middle 6 players but I give the edge to Perry in terms of size and durability and also experience. I think those things will be a plus in the playoffs.

I like Brown on the PK and (for the most part) he has been fine defensively as well but obviously he needs to do more on offence. Not nearly good enough in that regard but the good news for him...every player restarts offensively in the playoffs. So he gets a redo.

In any event when we add in Stecher in place of Broberg that is a big upgrade as well. Much more experienced dman and a player that has been an effective top 4 player in his career.
Something that Broberg hasnt done yet. So rotating dmen as required (which is something I think Knoblauch will do) means that the team has more options with Stecher than it did with Broberg.

So the team is better than last season IMO but is it good enough to win it all?
I dont know.
Its a big question mark.

Henrique is much better than Bjugstad. Why would you think otherwise?
They are similar players in terms of offensive production at this stage. Henrique is a few years older too. Bjugstad has good size. But Henrique was no doubt a better player in his prime.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are similar players in terms of offensive production at this stage. Henrique is a few years older too. Bjugstad has good size. But Henrique was no doubt a better player in his prime.
Henrique is about 2 1/2 years older than Bjugstad but they arent at all similar players offensively at this stage.
In the 3 seasons previous to this season Bjugstand has averaged 10 goals per season.
In the same time span Henrique has averaged 18 goals per season.

Their points totals essentially follow that same trend....almost double the offensive output for Henrique.

Reactions: McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Maybe you’re right and there wasn’t an upgrade for Ceci out there in the last handful of days.

We are in our 3rd season now of him in our top 4. There hasn’t been an upgrade on him at any point in that time? It’s been abundantly clear his entire tenure here he’s not an adequate top 4 dman to win a cup.

And as @guymez said, just because an upgrade wasn’t traded (outside of Tanev and potentially Walker) doesn’t mean there weren’t deals to be made.

Not a single insider in the world had a clue of Hertl being available until the deal went through.

The deals are there to be made if you’ve got the GM to make them.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
needed an upgrade on ceci but couldnt find one. goaltending will be the biggest questionmark. see who else can step up to play in the playoffs if leon and mcdavid go cold. is that kane? hyman, mcleod.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad