• D

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I personally like what Treveling is doing so far, he’s finally doing what Dubas was not able to do, shake the ‘softmess’ out of this team. It’s happening slowly but surely. Domi, Reeves, Bert, Boosh, Edmundson and even Dewar, they are tough to play against, ain’t nobody intimidating them. It still won’t be enough until a core shakeup in my opinion as JT is a passive captain, Marner, Nylander and Matthews are incredibly skilled but lack any form of toughness or nastiness to their game which is what is needed in the playoffs. Never would happen other than fantasy, but imagine this roster had a Tkachuk type player as captain instead of JT, this team would have probably already won a cup

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
I like what he did didn't blow up the whole team like dubas did last year just added a few players

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
What about matthews, marner and nylander in the past playoffs makes you think Leafs have to "ADD" to that

It will be such a Leafy thing the boys end up being in the ECF and lose to TB and Dumba scores the series winner. And most here would be like Tre sucks, he should had went all in....
Dude only possible option for trading was Nylander. The other 3 had full NTCs and NMCs

Nylander's game has grown relative to the others. Lets see what he does in playoffs
Nylander couldn’t be traded without his permission either. Full NMC kicked in the moment he signed his new contract as per the CBA. Changing the core had to be done last June but Shanny wouldn’t allow it.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
endgame-avengers.gif

P.S. What is CRA number again? I'd like to give them a call :laugh:

This bout' summs it up for me lol

This will be Tavares' last season on the Leafs baring deep run/cup final appearance... there is no justification for having him at 11 million per

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I personally like what Treveling is doing so far, he’s finally doing what Dubas was not able to do, shake the ‘softmess’ out of this team. It’s happening slowly but surely. Domi, Reeves, Bert, Boosh, Edmundson and even Dewar, they are tough to play against, ain’t nobody intimidating them. It still won’t be enough until a core shakeup in my opinion as JT is a passive captain, Marner, Nylander and Matthews are incredibly skilled but lack any form of toughness or nastiness to their game which is what is needed in the playoffs. Never would happen other than fantasy, but imagine this roster had a Tkachuk type player as captain instead of JT, this team would have probably already won a cup
Or Wendel or Dougie or Sittler …

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don't really see the point of what we did. I'm fine adding Boosh, Edmundson feels like more of the same and a little redundant.

Dewar intrigues me, but feels like we had a similar player in Laff who we dumped.

Doesn't feel like we're much better, but we're down some (mid) picks and I don't think anyone here is expecting much of a playoff run.
Way tougher to play against and that means something in the playoffs.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Exactly what I’m thinking. People don’t want to give up a 1st rounder for a defenseman that could actually make a difference, but why wouldn’t you want to go for it when we only have so many years left with Matthews and Marner in their prime. Like we just added slightly tougher versions of players we already have on the bottom pair and 4th line, don’t see how this makes a difference at all.
Tougher to play against actually matters a lot in the playoffs but ultimately the $40M core have to score and no deadline additions would change that.

Reactions: glue and Gabriel426

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
So far the poll results seem to suggest (if we combing - and + for a single letter)

A: 9.4%
B: 37%
C: 31.2%
D: 5.9%
F: 16.5%

I wonder how many massive dubas fans voted the F versus genuinely feel like F :laugh:

Jokes aside it seems the distribution seems to be skewed around B to C more
That’s the issue. You can’t have a poll on this subject because of the nerds that worship Dubas.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Absolutely, I consider Boosh and Edmundson non-impact players.

At least Boosh comes in as a RHD, but they are both depth more than anything on another team with a good defensive corps.

Just because our defensive corps is weak, it doesn’t make them better than they are, just like Tyler Bozak wasn’t a true 1C just because had no other options but to use him that way.

All Edmundson and Boosh do is toughen up our roster. They don’t put us over or push things further. We are still getting bounced in the 1st round.
I don’t think anyone who was dealt at the TDL or before is someone who can push us over? AM, MM, Willie and JT needs to be at their best to push us over.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Interesting thread. When I look at the roster the need is pretty clear from an outsiders perspective. They needed at least one top 4 defenseman capable of playing top 6 competition. Same need as Edmonton. Neither team got them. The price paid for Tanev and Hanifin certainly weren't prohibitive. Tanev was likely an extension candidate at the end of the season
They don’t have a second round pick for the next three drafts which is what it took to trade for Tanev and he’s a UFA this summer and can sign him without giving up anything.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
They have tried adding at the deadline every year, it hasn’t worked and depleted them of
assets.

Added 2 solid big dman, hopefully one pushes Lily to the press box, as he will get caved in the playoffs against Boston. Dewar seems like a good add.

This group doesn’t need significant deadline additions that probably won’t help and upset chemistry.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep trading away futures for a group that has shown that they are only successful at failure.

I believe they can beat Boston if they play them, than who knows after that.
Agreed.

They don't deserve a big deadline addition. They've tried reshuffling the decks countless times and this team will only go as far as the core takes them because these selfish turds have eliminated cap flexibility. So far, that's been pretty much nowhere but the team's mental softness aligns with the corporate image the owners and president demand, so I guess my priorities are incorrect.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It boggles my mind how many people are willing to give Treliving a pass simply because he didn't trade the first.

He traded away five picks, almost a full draft's worth, and Lagesson. All gone for bottom of the roster scrubs who might not even be back next year. But he didn't trade away the first.

And for that he gets a passing grade.

Have standards really dropped this low? I suppose next we're to congratulate him for not trading Matthews for Perry. Even though some fans would welcome that move I'm sure.

Treliving should be judged by what he did not by what he didn't.

And what he DID do wasn't enough. Which means he wasted all those assets - almost a full draft's worth of picks and Lagesson. All gone in half assed effort to negligibly improve this team.

But at least he still has the first round pick.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Way tougher to play against and that means something in the playoffs.
Who is way tougher than the one they're replacing this TDL? You have Edmundson replacing Benoit/Gio and Dewar replacing guys life Laff/Gregor/Holmberg

I'm not sure it's moving the needle on expectations for us

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Who is way tougher than the one they're replacing this TDL? You have Edmundson replacing Benoit/Gio and Dewar replacing guys life Laff/Gregor/Holmberg

I'm not sure it's moving the needle on expectations for us
Edmondson can play RD so he will be replacing Lily who isn’t suited to playoff style hockey. So it will be
Boosh - Reilly, McCabe - Benoit and Edmonson / Brodie or Gio. Dewar is a better, tougher version of Kampf. So way tougher to play against.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Edmondson can play RD so he will be replacing Lily who isn’t suited to playoff style hockey. So it will be
Boosh - Reilly, McCabe - Benoit and Edmonson / Brodie or Gio. Dewar is a better, tougher version of Kampf. So way tougher to play against.
Are we now favourites to win Round 1 in your opinion?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It boggles my mind how many people are willing to give Treliving a pass simply because he didn't trade the first.

He traded away five picks, almost a full draft's worth, and Lagesson. All gone for bottom of the roster scrubs who might not even be back next year. But he didn't trade away the first.

And for that he gets a passing grade.

Have standards really dropped this low? I suppose next we're to congratulate him for not trading Matthews for Perry. Even though some fans would welcome that move I'm sure.

Treliving should be judged by what he did not by what he didn't.

And what he DID do wasn't enough. Which means he wasted all those assets - almost a full draft's worth of picks and Lagesson. All gone in half assed effort to negligibly improve this team.

But at least he still has the first round pick.
The core isn’t good enough so why waste 1st round picks or prospects. When JT’s contract is off the books, they’ll have the cap space to change the core. He’s addressed lack of team toughness that Dubas ignored for years and the picks he moved are easily recovered by trading middling players or prospects. At least this year they want get pushed out of series.

Are we now favourites to win Round 1 in your opinion?
No because Boston best players are more suited to playoff hockey and they have better goaltending but at least the Leafs won’t get pushed around which a lot of fans are tired of seeing.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
This is what I think is happening as well

It should have happened after the Montreal series, but the next best time to do it after every off season since then is this offseason

I’d be willing to let Marner walk if he won’t accept a trade, just for the fact that we need that salary spread out all over the rest of the roster.

I think Marner is a fantastic player, but that’s not the point. It’s about the team, not the players
its not marner leafs should let go to clear cap space, it was nylander.
I don’t think it’s about getting a savior, at least it wasn’t for me. And I do agree the stars must lead the way for us in the playoffs, but that said:

People talk about this team apparently not earning upgrades at this deadline, I see it differently. I see a team that despite prolonged stretches of goaltending ineptitude, and a general difficulty defending is comfortably in the playoffs and until very recently was still a realistic possibility for home ice even in round one. I see a team with multiple star players having potentially career years. I see 34&88 taking $6M less this year than they will next, so a further cap crunch coming for next year.

This team has a glaring need for top 4 defense. It was true in the offseason when Tre chose not to fix it, and it’s true now still after the deadline when he once again chose not to fix it. Our defensive struggles this season are of his making. I don’t think Tre had earned the right to not help them; while he didn’t stand pat, I don’t think his moves were enough.

A top 4 defender with term should have been acquired and don’t tell me they weren’t available. We just didn’t have the stomach for it. I’m not interested in pissing away prime years of the best talent this franchise has ever had because we are fence sitting.

paying big price for tanev or hanifin doesn't guarantee you willbe upgrading. I will give you an rxemple, Jake Muzzin after being trade from LAK before TDL... come playoff with just few chemistry with system and partner, he was pretty bad.

trade for a rental top 4 dman doesn't mean you will get the best version of this player. Its depend of how fast hes able to adapt in a new system, new teammate. yes on paper you will look better but doesn't meab you will be better on the ice

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No because Boston best players are more suited to playoff hockey and they have better goaltending but at least the Leafs won’t get pushed around which a lot of fans are tired of seeing.
So what's the point?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I did like his post deadline interviews. Basically said they've tried to support the stars, but ultimately it's up to them to show and get the job done. A lesson we've learned over the years, all the adds are great, but it boils down to the big guys and execution. I'm glad he's put the onus where it needs to be, the tdl shouldn't be seen as a way to alleviate their responsibilities. This team has incredible talent, to my mind enough depth, we've added a lot of size and "snot", now just go out and do the f***ing job once and for all.

Last edited:

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don’t think it’s about getting a savior, at least it wasn’t for me. And I do agree the stars must lead the way for us in the playoffs, but that said:

People talk about this team apparently not earning upgrades at this deadline, I see it differently. I see a team that despite prolonged stretches of goaltending ineptitude, and a general difficulty defending is comfortably in the playoffs and until very recently was still a realistic possibility for home ice even in round one. I see a team with multiple star players having potentially career years. I see 34&88 taking $6M less this year than they will next, so a further cap crunch coming for next year.

This team has a glaring need for top 4 defense. It was true in the offseason when Tre chose not to fix it, and it’s true now still after the deadline when he once again chose not to fix it. Our defensive struggles this season are of his making. I don’t think Tre had earned the right to not help them; while he didn’t stand pat, I don’t think his moves were enough.

A top 4 defender with term should have been acquired and don’t tell me they weren’t available. We just didn’t have the stomach for it. I’m not interested in pissing away prime years of the best talent this franchise has ever had because we are fence sitting.
Regular season talent that doesn’t come through in the playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Keefe will have his work cut out for him with figuring out the D pairings. Only two guys on the backend really have the ability move th puck offensively, or even the ability for zone exits

Reactions: aingefan

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Keefe will have his work cut out for him with figuring out the D pairings. Only two guys on the backend really have the ability move th puck offensively, or even the ability for zone exits

If the right handed defenseman can’t move it just give it to the left handed defenseman. Problem solved

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the right handed defenseman can’t move it just give it to the left handed defenseman. Problem solved

They can try and build.thensystem around that (which I suspect they'll try to). Hainsy was able to do just that with Reilly. But we'll have to see if Boosh or Edmundson can repeat that

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00