Rasmussen

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's somewhat incredible how lean he looks while listed at 220 lbs. He looks like a guy who could take on another 20 pounds and still not look it. If I had to be honest, it feels like Seider could add a few pounds, too. Especially with his style of game.

I think more than adding size he needs to work on strength on his skates and play with more physicality. Not that he needs to be throwing big open ice hits, but when someone goes into the corner with Ras they should leave remembering it.

Ras is the exact same size as Chris Pronger. Pronger was tall but so strong on his skates. Chara was even taller and just as strong if not stronger than Pronger on his skates. Ras gets knocked over with a little shove.

Reactions: sepster

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It’s very frustrating that he isn’t an intimidating force out there, but he’s improved using his size to protect the puck and make plays by leaps and bounds from even the beginning of the season

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I just wish he would play the good way all the time. When he drives the puck down low with confidence he actually does well, but too often he plays timid. He needs to remember he is big and out muscle the smaller guys.

Reactions: sepster

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I just wish he would play the good way all the time. When he drives the puck down low with confidence he actually does well, but too often he plays timid. He needs to remember he is big and out muscle the smaller guys.
Not even out muscle, just protect the puck. It should be incredibly hard to get the puck from him with his size and reach.

But as people mentioned he is not the strongest on his skates.

Seems to be doing better though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not even out muscle, just protect the puck. It should be incredibly hard to get the puck from him with his size and reach.

But as people mentioned he is not the strongest on his skates.

Seems to be doing better though.

Yeah, it's his edge work and leveraging that need work. At least now he's looking as good as he did last season, he really regressed after his injury. Short guys still get underneath him. Maybe he should hire Bobby Ryan's skating coach and then practice against Debrincat.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I still think he’ll be a late bloomer. Not the Getzlaf lite I thought or hoped he would’ve been but I think he’ll have a couple 50P years. MAYBE 60.

By consistently 40P while being solid.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Correction; 17 points in his last 27

Has had a few 2 point games and then a 6 point scoring drought during the 2nd half of December

Hopefully he continues to develop
I wonder what his average possession time per game has been throughout the last 27 games verses prior to that (and mayne giveaways and takeaways). Not that it's a huge part of the story but I feel like that's gotta be at least modestly higher now.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Ras can ever get 20 goals and 50 points he’s going to earn some Selke votes. (He’ll never win. They’re going to award that to a 90 point 2 way center of course)

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Im not a skating expert, but someone pointed out that he needs to put in some training on his edgework and leveraging. That would be a great start.

I do know a thing or two about strength training and how improving leg and core strength can really improve someone’s (running)speed. I assume that translates to skating speed as well (Raymond, as an example).

Im sure the Wing’s staff has them all in the weight room…But I really hope he sees what Raymond did last offseason and how much he has improved as a result, and does something similar this offseason. He could be a very difficult player to contain, if he made similar strides…

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Im not a skating expert, but someone pointed out that he needs to put in some training on his edgework and leveraging. That would be a great start.

I do know a thing or two about strength training and how improving leg and core strength can really improve someone’s (running)speed. I assume that translates to skating speed as well (Raymond, as an example).

Im sure the Wing’s staff has them all in the weight room…But I really hope he sees what Raymond did last offseason and how much he has improved as a result, and does something similar this offseason. He could be a very difficult player to contain, if he made similar strides…

Edgework is a bit different because it involves the ankle (supinate/pronate as well as flexion and extension). If you watch Raz, he tends to bend in at the knees:

Raz Knees.PNG

Whereas Seider pressures the inside half of his foot because he appears to have stronger ankles:

Mo foot.PNG

The things is, I'm a ski instructor, and not a ice skating coach, so I have no idea what exercises would strengthen that. It's not a matter of just "bulking up" though.

If I saw someone skiing like Raz skates, the first thing I would do is check boot alignment, but that doesn't apply so much to skates. Ski boots have very little lateral flex, so it has to be a hardware alignment (cant adjustment). If the skis don't sit flat with a natural stance, they'll either want to run away from each other or run into each other. With skates I assume it's a matter of being able to flex the skate cuff (I could be wrong, lol) I suppose you could use orthotic inserts, but there would definitely be an adjustment period.

Looking at the photo, the thing that's compounding Raz' issue is that he's got a lot of bow in his lower leg. Probably why he's compensating with his knees. Never noticed that until now.

Last edited:

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Edgework is a bit different because it involves the ankle (supinate/pronate as well as flexion and extension). If you watch Raz, he tends to bend in at the knees:

View attachment 818925

Whereas Seider pressures the inside half of his foot because he appears to have stronger ankles:

View attachment 818928

The things is, I'm a ski instructor, and not a ice skating coach, so I have no idea what exercises would strengthen that. It's not a matter of just "bulking up" though.

If I saw someone skiing like Raz skates, the first thing I would do is check boot alignment, but that doesn't apply so much to skates. Ski boots have very little lateral flex, so it has to be a hardware alignment (cant adjustment). If the skis don't sit flat with a natural stance, they'll either want to run away from each other or run into each other. With skates I assume it's a matter of being able to flex the skate cuff (I could be wrong, lol) I suppose you could use orthotic inserts, but there would definitely be an adjustment period.

Looking at the photo, the thing that's compounding Raz' issue is that he's got a lot of bow in his lower leg. Probably why he's compensating with his knees. Never noticed that until now.
Wow. I never noticed that. I see what you mean! Im sure bulking up wouldnt hurt, but now that you’ve shown me that, I cant unsee it, haha. He is definitely at a mechanical disadvantage with his knees angled like that. Hopefully, the Wings staff sees it and knows of a way to improve it. No amount of standard strength training is going to fix that mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad