Rasmussen

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I've said it before.... Jay Beagle.

Tall and tries to be physical but really isn't. Useful defensively, pots a few points. Not the best at winning puck battles.

Raz carries the puck better and plays with better linemates, so he'll get more points, that's about the only difference. Nobody cared about Beagle, nobody aside from Wings fan cares about Raz.

I never once thought of Jay Beagle as an upper tier bottom 6 player though. Beagle had 144 points in 646 NHL games. The dude was the definition of a plug.
Rasmussen has 104 points in 281. 47 in his last 99 games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I definitely don't like re-litigating past draft picks. The big picture is that the Holland era was truly terrible when it came to building through the draft. People always come back with 'well who would you have drafted'? And while I fully understand my limitations when it comes to scouting players I do remember being a Gabe Vilardi fan with that pick. Vilardi looked like a bust in Los Angeles but he's coming around nicely in Winnipeg. He's averaging 2.94 points per 60 minutes. He's not a center, but he has skill which is something we sorely need.

Rasmussen is averaging 1.63 points per 60 mins.
I was very high on Vilardi in his draft year. But when Rob Blake was saying not even 1 year after the draft that Vilardi has chronic back issues he will always have to deal with, I can't really fault Detroit or other teams for passing on him. That is something that probably had to come up when teams did their physicals.

I think that was a pretty valid reason for him to slide in that draft, all things considered.

As it pertains to Rasmussen though, I still had several other forwards ranked ahead of him in Suzuki, Necas, and Thomas. I'd show you, but then you would see how off I was on Makar... so you'll just have to take my word on it :laugh:

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Rasmussen is still fine as a third line player who can play wing or center. Right now I actually think his best spot on this team is 4th line center and we make a semi shutdown BIG line with him, Kostin and Fischer

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I never once thought of Jay Beagle as an upper tier bottom 6 player though. Beagle had 144 points in 646 NHL games. The dude was the definition of a plug.
Rasmussen has 104 points in 281. 47 in his last 99 games.

He looked like he was finding his game his last 2 seasons as a Cap then he went to VAN for money and fell apart. His game was really similar in those 2 years though. Keep in mind Raz gets a bunch of points with the net empty, the Caps deployed the top line in those situations so Ovy can get his EN goals, lol. Raz is a lot closer to Beagle than Boyle. Boyle ran over Seider his rookie year, Raz would be on his ass if he tried that.

There's still hope that Raz becomes something better, he needs to put in a lot of work this summer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I struggle to think of a 1 for 1 comparable to what Rasmussen brings when comparing to current NHLers or even depth guys of yester-year.

If you had to pick an NHLer that Rasmussen reminds you of this season and last, who would you fellas say? Because Ras is definitely playing like an upper tier bottom 6 forward lately.

Imo he reminds me of Nick Bonino from the Pens -16 & -17 Cup days.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Raz's line was the most dangerous line against Panthers tonight. He scored 1-1 and had a +2 in the game. He was a strong along the boards to center Fabri the puck for his assist. All Rasmussen, Florida couldn't answer.

Yeah, he looked like he did last season. He actually did stuff with the puck today. He had some nice work along the boards even on plays that amounted to nothing. Maybe it's time to put Sprong on the second line, Fabbri with Copp/Raz, and let Joey center a checking line with Kostin and Fish.

In any case, let's hope he keeps it up. He has a bit of consistency issue.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I've been critical of Ras lately but that was a nice confidence boost game. He made a difference when not many others could. Nice to see him step up, plus 12 on the year and 20 points. Keep it going, 40 points and plus 20 is welcome any day of the week.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The heroes of 2024 have been Rasmussen, Copp and Lyon

Wild

Seider is playing top notch defense. He's been a BEAST. And Raymond looks like a man possessed out there. Larkin has a wicked shot and scores from everywhere.

The team has upticked nicely. I've argued their December slump was caused from mental and physical fatigue. They need some 3 and 4 day breaks from time to time to regroup.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
In his 1st 23 games of the season he has 6 points, in his last 21 games 14 points and now he leads the team with +12.
He and Copp are developing chemistry and that line could be very strong and important for us.

Reactions: lomekian

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Caps just signed Protas to 5 x $3.375m/yr. I do not like that contract as a comparable...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This play is so awesome, I think it needs to be posted for posterity.... Raz one on three and feeds Copp for the goal.

I'd like to see some more of this Raz please.
He made a very similar play to Fabbri for a goal not long ago. Now he might be a guy who looses speed when he puts on weight, this ultimately doomed Ferraro for example. However, I still think if Ras played at about 15 to 20 lbs heavier he would be a lot more effective. He protects the puck and wins battles at a higher rate than this board seems to suggest and that has been on display big time in January. However, I think he still needs a little more strength for his desire to stop at times to allow teammates to get free off his cycling. Again more muscle is something I would implore Ras to do in exit meetings this year.

He is a very unique weapon and when he is on we have a different element. I would also like to see when he is on and winning puck reset plays that he gets on the second PP unit at the net front. I get not experimenting with it when his game isn't all together, but right now we have a confident Ras and I really wish the coaching staff would give that a look and see if he could get going even more offensively.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He made a very similar play to Fabbri for a goal not long ago. Now he might be a guy who looses speed when he puts on weight, this ultimately doomed Ferraro for example. However, I still think if Ras played at about 15 to 20 lbs heavier he would be a lot more effective. He protects the puck and wins battles at a higher rate than this board seems to suggest and that has been on display big time in January. However, I think he still needs a little more strength for his desire to stop at times to allow teammates to get free off his cycling. Again more muscle is something I would implore Ras to do in exit meetings this year.

He is a very unique weapon and when he is on we have a different element. I would also like to see when he is on and winning puck reset plays that he gets on the second PP unit at the net front. I get not experimenting with it when his game isn't all together, but right now we have a confident Ras and I really wish the coaching staff would give that a look and see if he could get going even more offensively.

It's somewhat incredible how lean he looks while listed at 220 lbs. He looks like a guy who could take on another 20 pounds and still not look it. If I had to be honest, it feels like Seider could add a few pounds, too. Especially with his style of game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad