Prospect Info: Rasmus Andersson (2nd round 2015, 53rd overall)

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
If someone told me the Flames would have

- Hamilton
- Kylington
- Anderton (Andersson)

two years ago, on the same weekend, just giving up a few (five...) draft picks I would have said he was crazy.

BUT, Andersson and Kylington has sunk on the ratings constantly lately and are not locks on the U20 team anymore. Andersson, I thought for a while to be the type that doesn't take the last step.

Your GM probably was euphoric when he drafted the the swedes so he's excused.

And, if I was him (GM) I would have been happy right now.

That's a ton of 'tons.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Andersson is definitely a good prospect, and I'm not trying to take anything away from him but I certainly don't see "great" skating ability.

Admittedly, great is a strong word and probably a little much on my part to describe him, but I think he's a very good skater.

Really, you get about 10 guys who are elite skaters each draft, pretty much every other prospect is described as "needs to work on his skating to play at the next level". So that's a standard comment to me.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Gotta be. If that link above was totally accurate there's no way he lasts beyond the first round. But I'm excited; he looks like a great add, and I think a lot of people were expecting him to go a couple dozen picks earlier.
I've been following Rasmus Andersson all year. Im not a scout but my uncle is and he was saying that if he had played 2 years in the OHL he would have been a 1st rd pick. Guy is an absolute beast. He's 6' probably close to 215lbs, hard to knock off the puck. I had him going 20-40. What a great pick. You guys will be pleased.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Rasmus compared himself to Doughty style wise, but with improved skating would Faulk be a good one as well?

He has franchise dman comparibles but isn't a franchise dman. He studied doughty and pietroangelo's game this year. He isn't going to be as good as those 2 (most likely) but 2nd pairing 30-40 point dman is a reasonable expectation. I think of Kubina when I see Andersson play.

*sorry for the bad grammer, im on my phone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He has franchise dman comparibles but isn't a franchise dman. He studied doughty and pietroangelo's game this year. He isn't going to be as good as those 2 (most likely) but 2nd pairing 30-40 point dman is a reasonable expectation. I think of Kubina when I see Andersson play.

*sorry for the bad grammer, im on my phone.

For sure, if he had that upside he would have been talked about as a top 5 pick. I do think if he can work on his areas of improvement, that he can be a #3 or even perhaps a 2 if things really work out.

From pretty much everything I've read his skating concerns are mostly related to his short stride, this is very fixable.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
For sure, if he had that upside he would have been talked about as a top 5 pick.

Eh,

Lidstrom, Brodie, Josi, Keith, Weber, Subban, Giordano, Chara etc were drafted where? Who really knows about Dman upside? They're like goalies, you just want to throw a dozen darts and hope to hit the bullseye as they develop. That's exactly what the Flames have done, and maybe neither Andersson or Kylington makes the NHL, while John Gilmour proceeds to be the next Anton Stralman. Or maybe we've got a dozen future Norris candidates in our system :D

Last edited:

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Eh,

Lidstrom, Brodie, Josi, Keith, Weber, Subban, Giordano, Chara etc were drafted where? Who really knows about Dman upside? They're like goalies, you just want to throw a dozen darts and hope to hit the bullseye as they develop. That's exactly what the Flames have done, and maybe neither Andersson or Kylington makes the NHL, while John Gilmour proceeds to be the next Anton Stralman. Or maybe we've got a dozen future Norris candidates in our system :D
I've seen the advanced stats on Andersdon and they were comparible to the top 10.players in this years draft. Essentially it meant his likely hood of making the NHL is pretty good. Probably one of the higher 2nd rd picks.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Obviously points/game isn't the most important stat for defencemen, but what separates the 18 yo years of Ekblad and Andersson. Same team in the OHL, Andersson with slightly higher points/game. Ekblad had 23 goals to Andersson's 12, in fewer games.

Barrie was a slightly better team this year, and had a lot of offensive talent, so maybe Andersson's totals are inflated. idk. Why did one go #1 (and win a Calder) and the other one go in the second?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ekblad is going to be an upper echelon dman, like a perennial Norris candidate within 1-2 seasons. I honestly can't think of a single 18 year old in the last decade that came in and played in a #1 role in his rookie season, it's honestly unheard of. Then you factor in that he recorded the most points as a rookie for dman since Bobby Orr. As much as I like the Andersson pick, Ekblad is in another stratosphere IMO and they are different players.

Ekblad has a fantastic shot from the point which is why he recorded more goals. Andersson is more of a setup guy which explains his assist totals.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
64 points in 67 games looks really good on a defenseman, like 1st round worthy. However, he was on a stacked Barrie team, so it'll be interesting to see how this guy pans out.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
64 points in 67 games looks really good on a defenseman, like 1st round worthy. However, he was on a stacked Barrie team, so it'll be interesting to see how this guy pans out.

We can't ignore it was his first year playing in NA. I'd love to see this kid with improved skating and a better understanding with the game here. I'm really excited about him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We can't ignore it was his first year playing in NA. I'd love to see this kid with improved skating and a better understanding with the game here. I'm really excited about him.

I'm just stoked that a college signing and our first 2 picks in this draft just made our defensive prospect pool out of the bottom 5 in the league.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I saw he was named to the Swedish WJC camp on twitter this morning; Calculon posted it up there.

That's awesome. He's looking like a good pick at this time. I don't think I could be more happy with what happened this past weekend.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For any knocks on his skating, it sounds like the biggest knock on him is his fitness, which is actually good news. Improved condition will obviously improve his overall speed and explosiveness and it's not like he's a terrible skater now anyways. I love our new Swedes.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Same reason he went 60th overall instead of top-5.

Well, that makes no sense. Some of the other defensemen they picked went in the 4th -7th round this year. He's still the best skater on the Swedish team, and probably their best power-play guy. I know sometimes they don't pick only from the invites, but this snub feels pretty silly on the Swedes part (unless they feel he isn't mean enough, because that seems to be the trend the swedish team has been going lately).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad