Prospect Info: Rasmus Andersson (2nd round 2015, 53rd overall)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Solid is a good word to describe this pick, from what I understand. A pretty safe bet this guy turns out to be an NHL player.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm pretty sure the knock on him is that he isn't a great skater.

But really smart with the puck, a thick guy, good defensively. If he can get his wheels figured out he could be a steal.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

But really smart with the puck, a thick guy, good defensively. If he can get his wheels figured out he could be a steal.

Gotta be. If that link above was totally accurate there's no way he lasts beyond the first round. But I'm excited; he looks like a great add, and I think a lot of people were expecting him to go a couple dozen picks earlier.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

He is a really good skater.

He's our best dman prospect IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He is a really good skater.

He's our best dman prospect IMO.

I don't think he's as complete as Morrison, Culkin or Hickey at this point. But he has a really high ceiling.

I've heard Hickey is a lock for Team Canada WJ. That's extremely rare for a college player to get invited let alone make the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think he's as complete as Morrison, Culkin or Hickey at this point. But he has a really high ceiling.

I've heard Hickey is a lock for Team Canada WJ. That's extremely rare for a college player to get invited let alone make the team.

I really do think he is #1 for our dman. He said he spent the first 15 games or so really getting adjusted to the North American game (and living here). He still ended up with 64 points in 67 games, which was tops on Barrie.

He's got really solid offensive instincts, is a great skater, he's got decent size and is an excellent passer. Kylington's ceiling may be higher, but I think Rasmus is a fairly safe bet to become a #3, maybe even a 2.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really do think he is #1 for our dman. He said he spent the first 15 games or so really getting adjusted to the North American game (and living here). He still ended up with 64 points in 67 games, which was tops on Barrie.

He's got really solid offensive instincts, is a great skater, he's got decent size and is an excellent passer. Kylington's ceiling may be higher, but I think Rasmus is a fairly safe bet to become a #3, maybe even a 2.

Yeah I think if you weight the ranking by potential its probably Kylington or Andersson.

If you rank it by how players have developed, and who is close to making the NHL and potential, id probably give it to Morrison or Hickey.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Before the draft I made a list of every picks and who we should pick. Well, about half of the picks are gone, but Andersson was one of the players I named, in fact with the 53rd pick. I'm excited of this pick, we got a smart kid.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I think if you weight the ranking by potential its probably Kylington or Andersson.

If you rank it by how players have developed, and who is close to making the NHL and potential, id probably give it to Morrison or Hickey.

I agree with this.

Either way, great picks. Puck moving defensemen are the most valuable commodity in the modern NHL IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wut about Kylington! :sarcasm:

But seriously, I guess our 'woes' regarding our D prospects is fixed.

Hamilton
Brodie

on the big team.

Andersson
Kylington
Hickey
Morrison
Wotherspoon
Kulak
Culkin
Sieloff

Not a bad group of players at all.

I would agree; defense as become a strength if anything now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think Kylington does have a higher ceiling, as mentioned. But he has a higher chance of busting. I think they are pretty on par though, I love both picks.

I think Hickey has a good ceiling, but everyone else I don't see becoming more than a bottom pairing or a #4 at best.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
lunapic_129514895144669_4.jpg

Just needs a little modification to work.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Button was just on the radio, said he has a ways to go and has some warts in his game, but said Andersson "has tremendous, tremendous, upside". Also said Kylington has a very high ceiling as well but definitely needs some work.

I seriously love this pick so much.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Andersson is definitely a good prospect, and I'm not trying to take anything away from him but I certainly don't see "great" skating ability.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
If someone told me the Flames would have

- Hamilton
- Kylington
- Anderton (Andersson)

two years ago, on the same weekend, just giving up a few (five...) draft picks I would have said he was crazy.

BUT, Andersson and Kylington has sunk on the ratings constantly lately and are not locks on the U20 team anymore. Andersson, I thought for a while to be the type that doesn't take the last step.

Your GM probably was euphoric when he drafted the the swedes so he's excused.

And, if I was him (GM) I would have been happy right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad