Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If LeBron is the best player of this generation, then what does that say about the NBA of this generation when a 33 year old with this much mileage in year 15 apparently seemingly is playing like he’s never gonna hit tge wall?

Either this generation of basketball so watered down that the same guy is the best player in the world for what feels like 100 years or LeBron is truly immortal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If LeBron is the best player of this generation, then what does that say about the NBA of this generation when a 33 year old with this much mileage in year 15 apparently seemingly is playing like he’s never gonna hit tge wall?

Either this generation of basketball so watered down that the same guy is the best player in the world for what feels like 100 years or LeBron is truly immortal.

LeBron is the best player of his generation, there's no "if" required here. Few would dispute the claim that him and Jordan are the best players ever to play in the NBA and for my money LeBron is the best (that definitely would be disputed by many Jordan fans).

Lebron's looked tired at times in these playoffs, he's not as young as he once was and therefore doesn't have the same energy or the same staying power. When he's on though, he's still amazing and no that's no knock on this generation at all. Players today are overall better than they ever have been so my answer is yes, LeBron is truly immortal.

Watching him play is a privilege, enjoy it while you can!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's not an indictment of any other players currently in the league.

LeBron is a freak of nature. He is a generational talent, but he is also playing at a level that is unprecedented for someone his age. He spends millions of dollars a year on his training regimen, and it's paying dividends.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Looking at some of the greatest players' careers, ages 33-34 actually tends to be the culmination of their spectacular seasons.

But then of course you had guys like Kareem and Malone that continued to put up points well into their late 30s, and I legit can't see LeBron stopping until his body breaks down (and who knows when that will happen).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I think if Boston was healthy, they beat Cleveland. Is there a reason to believe that they wouldn't have? This is the weakest supporting cast he's had in a while. What he is doing now is amazing but he also is a little lucky. He was pushed to the limit a couple of times. Cavs wouldn't be able to beat Boston at full strength. And if the Raps were able to push them more, they probably lose to Boston anyway. LBJ is human after all. 2 or 3 extra games against Toronto would probably tire him out enough that he wouldn't be able to get by Boston.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Looking at some of the greatest players' careers, ages 33-34 actually tends to be the culmination of their spectacular seasons.

But then of course you had guys like Kareem and Malone that continued to put up points well into their late 30s, and I legit can't see LeBron stopping until his body breaks down (and who knows when that will happen).

The thing about Lebron too is that he may well be the smartest player ever which means that when he reaches the point where he's not capable of doing the things he used to be able to do, he'll adjust and concentrate on getting it done in other ways. So while he won't be as good as he was, he will be as good as he can possibly be by adjusting his game to rely less on physical ability and more on experience and guile.

Even though he's lost a step so to speak, is it fair to say that if we were to draft a team to just play the playoffs, LeBron would be the first player drafted? I think it probably is true and it may stay true for a few more years yet.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think if Boston was healthy, they beat Cleveland. Is there a reason to believe that they wouldn't have? This is the weakest supporting cast he's had in a while. What he is doing now is amazing but he also is a little lucky. He was pushed to the limit a couple of times. Cavs wouldn't be able to beat Boston at full strength. And if the Raps were able to push them more, they probably lose to Boston anyway. LBJ is human after all. 2 or 3 extra games against Toronto would probably tire him out enough that he wouldn't be able to get by Boston.

Because he's Lebron?

You really think he's in the finals again because he's lucky?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Because he's Lebron?

You really think he's in the finals again because he's lucky?

Luck has something to do with it. Did you not just watch this series where a young team that is missing 2 all-stars took Cleveland to the brink? He is absolutely great, I just think his supporting cast is too weak. He needed a little luck. It's easy to think about "what ifs" this year. What if Toronto had more intestinal fortitude? What if Boston was healthy? This is the weakest supporting cast he's had in a long time. This was definitely a beatable team this year.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
It's not an indictment of any other players currently in the league.

LeBron is a freak of nature. He is a generational talent, but he is also playing at a level that is unprecedented for someone his age. He spends millions of dollars a year on his training regimen, and it's paying dividends.

It's hard to quantity but his basketball IQ is also off the charts. Having a photographic memory helps.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Luck has something to do with it. Did you not just watch this series where a young team that is missing 2 all-stars took Cleveland to the brink? He is absolutely great, I just think his supporting cast is too weak. He needed a little luck. It's easy to think about "what ifs" this year. What if Toronto had more intestinal fortitude? What if Boston was healthy? This is the weakest supporting cast he's had in a long time. This was definitely a beatable team this year.

I agree his team likely isn't as good as it was last year, that doesn't mean he was lucky to get to the finals.

They're beatable sure, so is every team every year in theory. They were beatable last year too and they did get beat - in the finals.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I agree his team likely isn't as good as it was last year, that doesn't mean he was lucky to get to the finals.

They're beatable sure, so is every team every year in theory. They were beatable last year too and they did get beat - in the finals.

LeBron deserves to make the finals, no doubt. You face what's in front of you
But you'd simply be turning a blind eye if you don't think there was a bit of luck that went his way
Not having to face their 2 best players and still barely getting by in 7

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
That staredown of Rozier was such a tremendous display of leadership by LeBron eh?

Leaving his teammates shorthanded on offense, just so he could go into a trance and stare a guy down while the play continued. In game 7 of the Conference Finals.

I realize he is likely the best player in the world, and could very well be the best player of all time, but every time I think maybe he's matured and become a true leader, he says something or does something to the contrary.

What a joke.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
LeBron deserves to make the finals, no doubt. You face what's in front of you
But you'd simply be turning a blind eye if you don't think there was a bit of luck that went his way
Not having to face their 2 best players and still barely getting by in 7

Ah luck in that sense, OK that's fair. Still, there's no guarantee that Cleveland loses even with Boston at full health.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
That staredown of Rozier was such a tremendous display of leadership by LeBron eh?

Leaving his teammates shorthanded on defense, just so he could go into a trance and stare a guy down while the play continued. In game 7 of the Conference Finals.

I realize he is likely the best player in the world, and could very well be the best player of all time, but every time I think maybe he's matured and become a true leader, he says something or does something to the contrary.

What a joke.

...and then turnaround and win. :laugh:

I believe they call that "flexin' on fools."

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Hot take - This boston team was average at best. Whoever won is getting destroyed by either GS or Hou. The #1 player on Boston was Tatum. Brad Stevens is just an elite coach and they listen to him. The fact in a 1 v 1 dominated sport, the #1 player in the world won. Lebron is tiers better than anyone else on the court. Him winning is just the media hyping up his trials and tribulations but realistically they should of won sooner.

Reactions: Paladin2799

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
But I’m sure if the Celts won everybody would be discussing the ice in Tatum’s veins for bumping LeBron after dunking on him.

LeBron sought revenge and he got it. With Morris attached to his back. Hilarious stuff.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009

Leaving his teammates shorthanded on offense, just so he could go into a trance and stare a guy down while the play continued. In game 7 of the Conference Finals.

What a joke.
This sort of comment shows how little people understand how emotions, team morale, intimidation, and "politics" play into physical high level sports.

If you can stare down your enemy and get him to start missing shots, then f*** yes thats leadership and experience homie.

These are Alpha gorillas competing.

Reactions: donghabs98

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
This sort of comment shows how little people understand how emotions, team morale, intimidation, and "politics" play into physical high level sports.

If you can stare down your enemy and get him to start missing shots, then **** yes thats leadership and experience homie.

These are Alpha gorillas competing.

What if you alpha gorilla stare your enemy down, and it fires him up, and he starts making more shots? Is that leadership and experience? And regardless, is it worth leaving your teammates short handed for the entire next offensive possession?

Leadership happens in the moment, not something you recognize after the fact based on the result.

A true leader would’ve hustled back down the court in transition. Simple as that. Even a quick stare and run would’ve been fine. He stood there, homie.

leafsleafs

Jul 12, 2006
Here
Golden State and Cleveland.

Who could have predicted that at the start of the year?

This is like the old Celtics/Lakers days.

At least the reffing will be fair, as they don’t have a team to crap on. They will be equally incompetent for both teams.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I am turned off by this. Sure, If I was a GSW fan or a Cleveland fan I would love it. But as a fan of one of the other 28 teams, I am turned off. Feels like I wasted my time cheering on the Raptors and actually believing in them when now it looks like they never had a shot. F this league.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What if you alpha gorilla stare your enemy down, and it fires him up, and he starts making more shots? Is that leadership and experience? And regardless, is it worth leaving your teammates short handed for the entire next offensive possession?

Leadership happens in the moment, not something you recognize after the fact based on the result.

A true leader would’ve hustled back down the court in transition. Simple as that. Even a quick stare and run would’ve been fine. He stood there, homie.

A true leader puts his team on his back and wins games

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
More like actin a fool.

Don't worry. Lebron triggers many.

Wow. Say Word....:laugh:

"Alpha Gorilla".....I am officially uncomfortable.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
A true leader puts his team on his back and wins games

A true superstar does that, which LeBron clearly is. Probably the best in the game.

A true leader sets an example of commitment, dedication and hard work towards his/her team and teammates, every second of every game. Standing there, staring down your opponent for an entire possession while the rest of your team tries to execute on offense is to the contrary, IMO.

Selfish stuff, from the world's best player. That's all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad