Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He is a sub 30 assist player and has not much else to his game outside of his shot. So yes, while his goal scoring is fantastic, I just don't think he has enough to his game to elevate him elsewhere. Things do change, but as of right now, Laine isn't doing enough to convince me otherwise.

My avatar fits you if you think a player that is only good at scoring can do enough to be a ppg player in this league.

A guy that scores 40 a year and hangs out in the 70 point range is still valuable and really good, but when he's not scoring he's a liability.

He’s been floatey and last this year, but the previous 2 years he was an dynamite player offensively. I think he has to sort out some motivation issues, but he easily has 50-30 potential.

Reactions: Peggy

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He is a sub 30 assist player and has not much else to his game outside of his shot. So yes, while his goal scoring is fantastic, I just don't think he has enough to his game to elevate him elsewhere. Things do change, but as of right now, Laine isn't doing enough to convince me otherwise.

My avatar fits you if you think a player that is only good at scoring can do enough to be a ppg player in this league.

A guy that scores 40 a year and hangs out in the 70 point range is still valuable and really good, but when he's not scoring he's a liability.

You obviously have never watched him play if you think he just as a shot.
Sounds like you're going off what people have said about him as of late
He's a smart kid. Players like him should be able to adjust. Not just stay flat footed their entire careers
He's still growing he's 21

I wonder what your analysis would be about scheifele at his age lol

You can keep your avatar. Fits you best.
Hockey? I thought we were talking about Scooby doo

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He’s been floatey and last this year, but the previous 2 years he was an dynamite player offensively. I think he has to sort out some motivation issues, but he easily has 50-30 potential.

Kind of after his concussion things changed. More so after he got switched to play with little
Think some of it might have to do with coaching
He's still young. Whatever is going on im sure it can be figured out

Pretty typical for the hf boards to write a player off because of a slow start to a season

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
He's a smart kid. Players like him should be able to adjust. Not just stay flat footed their entire careers

K

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He's in his third year now, we've all watched him. His skating is garbage and it really limits his skillset and prevents him from doing things that elite players can do. It's obvious why the majority of his production comes on the PP, his main weaknesses get covered up. He'll never be elite at ES just by nature of his skillset.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He's in his third year now, we've all watched him. His skating is garbage and it really limits his skillset and prevents him from doing things that elite players can do. It's obvious why the majority of his production comes on the PP , his main weaknesses get covered up. He'll never be elite at ES just by nature of his skillset.

He had 24 even strength goals last season and 20 power play goals

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
24 ES goals is good for 24th in the league.
20 PP goals is 1st in the league.

Is 24th elite? He clearly depends on the PP for his production.
24th from the second line is elite. How many of those 23 had less ES TOI or didn't play with first line players. Laine is otherwise a complete disappointment and a bust but still the goal production is elite when put to context. Undeniably an elite goal scorer.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
24 ES goals is good for 24th in the league.
20 PP goals is 1st in the league.

Is 24th elite? He clearly depends on the PP for his production.

Yeah 24th in the league is good lol
You keep saying he clearly depends more on paper play production
Are you mentally challenged at math?
24 is more than 20. So how is he depending MORE on it?
20 power player goals is also the best in the league so that's absolutely elite

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
24th from the second line is elite. How many of those 23 had less ES TOI or didn't play with first line players. Laine is otherwise a complete disappointment and a bust but still the goal production is elite when put to context. Undeniably an elite goal scorer.
How simple minded
21 years old, has shown flashes of brilliance while still scoring 80 goals in 2 seasons, But he's a bust. Shut the fk up lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah 24th in the league is good lol
You keep saying he clearly depends more on paper play production
Are you mentally challenged at math?
24 is more than 20. So how is he depending MORE on it?
20 power player goals is also the best in the league so that's absolutely elite

No need to resort to name calling just because your boy is on pace for less than 40 points this year. He can still turn it around and get into the 50s maybe if he figures out his video game problem.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
No need to resort to name calling just because your boy is on pace for less than 40 points this year. He can still turn it around and get into the 50s maybe if he figures out his video game problem.

Laine has in own issues
What im annoyed by is your logic and math lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Laine has in own issues
What im annoyed by is your logic and math lol

Maybe you should be annoyed with your own reading skills instead? I just said he depends on the PP for his production more than actual offensive stars, his proportion of PP TOI to ES TOI is among the biggest in the league, and his proportion of PP goals to ES goals is among the biggest in the league. Zach Hyman scored more points than Laine outside of the PP last year for reference.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe you should be annoyed with your own reading skills instead? I just said he depends on the PP for his production more than actual offensive stars, his proportion of PP TOI to ES TOI is among the biggest in the league, and his proportion of PP goals to ES goals is among the biggest in the league. Zach Hyman scored more points than Laine outside of the PP last year for reference.

I would like to remind you that PP is also a part of the game. Some games are even decided by it. So, Martin Skoula would take Zach Hyman over Laine? Why do thoose superstars then score less than Laine on PP? Is it that they dont want too, because PP count for less…? :D :D

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Rantanen right now but he is 22 and Laine is 20. Give Laine 2 more years and it's Laine. Some pretty dumb posters in this thread.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I wonder when Laine's age will finally stop being the crutch for WPG fans in every single discussion, positive or negative, about him. Its so tiring

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I wonder when Laine's age will finally stop being the crutch for WPG fans in every single discussion, positive or negative, about him. Its so tiring

It's simple, compare them at the same age. Nothing more to it. It's the same reason you have u18 tournaments, and u20 tournaments. Players improve rapidly as they age, and reach their peak at the 23-24yo range.

You don't go into a pre-school and beat up all the children and then tell your friends you just beat up 20 guys single-handedly. Age matters because it gives you context.

After Laine is 24yo I promise no-one will talk about his age. But when you enter the league at 18yo, it fools so many people because usually players enter the NHL at the 20yo mark or beyond.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It's simple, compare them at the same age. Nothing more to it. It's the same reason you have u18 tournaments, and u20 tournaments. Players improve rapidly as they age, and reach their peak at the 23-24yo range.

You don't go into a pre-school and beat up all the children and then tell your friends you just beat up 20 guys single-handedly.

So your answer is 24-25, or max four more years of using this crutch? Thanks

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
So your answer is 24-25, or max four more years of using this crutch? Thanks

Close enough :laugh:.

As younger players of high caliber enter the league, they get the same "crutch". It's not about Laine, it's about comparative seasons.

But you are relatively safe if you want to compare players in the 24-28yo area directly because that's "prime time", then after they start to see a bigger decrease in performance (relative to the player and longevity etc).

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's simple, compare them at the same age. Nothing more to it.
Then there is no contest. Rantanen had 84 points in his third season after the draft. There is a lot of talk about age but these two are almost the same age one was drafted in 2015 the other in 2016.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Then there is no contest. Rantanen had 84 points in his third season after the draft. There is a lot of talk about age but these two are almost the same age one was drafted in 2015 the other in 2016.

Well Laine has only played two seasons so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad