Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Rantanen by a long shot. Laine doesn't have anything on Rantanen, Aho or Barkov if you are selecting the best possible player for a team as far as Finnish players go. Not even top 3 of his own country..

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Laine has a higher ceiling and his shooting is elite. What is going on with him this year though? I haven't watched Jets much this year but Laine seems to be struggling from the posts I have seen. I knew Rantanen would be a great player but he is turning into a star and a couple of years ago, it was was widely accepted that he would be a tier below Laine and Puljujärvi.

I'll be shocked if Laine ever hits the 84 points Rantanen put up.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
He's 20y, if he gets his offseason training/nutrition on point we could see a beast with the best shot in the league.

He's never had much to his game outside of his shot.

He could absolutely turn his game around but I just don't see it. Right now in the real world, Rantanen is the superior player. It really isn't close either.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Rantanen is better at everything except for the shot. Overall, it's not even close.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's 20y, if he gets his offseason training/nutrition on point we could see a beast with the best shot in the league.
Yeah no.

He required a ton of things to go right to get 70 points. Maybe it's time to temper the expectations? He will always have a limited skillset due to his skating.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's never had much to his game outside of his shot.

He could absolutely turn his game around but I just don't see it. Right now in the real world, Rantanen is the superior player. It really isn't close either.

You're absolutely right Rants overall game is superior right now, Laine has to improve a lot to get to this level.

But just as I said he's 20y and if he does the right things like Rants he could become a bully with the best shot in the league, one of the best forwards in the game.

Yeah no.

He required a ton of things to go right to get 70 points. Maybe it's time to temper the expectations? He will always have a limited skillset due to his skating.

He has 36 and 44 goal seasons under his belt before he turned 20y.

I believe he and his trainer have made mistakes in his training but it's not too late to fix it.
PPG isn't out of question 100% for Laine.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
You're absolutely right Rants overall game is superior right now, Laine has to improve a lot to get to this level.

But just as I said he's 20y and if he does the right things like Rants he could become a bully with the best shot in the league, one of the best forwards in the game.

He has 36 and 44 goal seasons under his belt before he turned 20y.

I believe he and his trainer have made mistakes in his training but it's not too late to fix it.
PPG isn't out of question 100% for Laine.

It isn't out of the question if you think he can score 70 goals.

He has an amazing shot and very little else. So unless he magically transforms into a 40 assist player, he won't be putting up a ppg season imo.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It isn't out of the question if you think he can score 70 goals.

He has an amazing shot and very little else. So unless he magically transforms into a 40 assist player, he won't be putting up a ppg season imo.

Oh C'moon that's just stupid.

19y Laine scored 44 goals 70 points, prime Laine can absolutely score 50 goals, and he'll get to play with prime Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor so 30 assists isn't a huge reach here.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Definitely Rantanen.

I wasn’t even high on Laine last year when I felt his inconsistency’s were exposed.

Of all the young players Laine is without a doubt the guy who got put in one of the most desirable positions imaginable. A top six role getting PP set up, by great pt producers, fast team that wins a low, it’s all great mix for him. His shot with some elite playmakers makes it a can’t miss situation.

The fact he only got 26 assists in 82 games last year with all those point producers and on top of that scored half his goals on the man advantage is telling.

He doesent do aanything like OV I always thought the comparisons were highly unfair, for one OVI was a train in his prime and scored goals at ridiculous levels with no help on his lines (at the start) laine is like the opposite.

The fact he is in a CANT MISS situaion and He is IS missing, like literally every game ....is inexcusable.

If I’m Maurice I am keeping him in the 4th line until he puts that game he’s obsessed with Away.

Rantanen has done nothing but produce and I’ve watched him a bit long, admittedly not a huge deal, like twelve times last year and four times this year (along with all The highlights) and I can already tell his guy is a lot better. Laine is a one trick pony and he can’t even do that right.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Well Laine already as an 18yo rookie had a better g/60 than Ovie and 20yo Ovie had almost twice the PP time. The only better rookie seasons goal-scoring-wise have been a 22yo Selänne and 20yo Mike Bossy (tad easier to score goals back then).

Not that embarrassing IMO. But yeah Laine is not looking great so far, but if history is anything to go by, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Completely different players anyway.

Laine of course is nowhere near the physical specimen that Ovie was at the same age, but if we forget looks and concentrate on results, it's damn impressive what Laine is doing. And you know with what an excellent line he's been playing with 5v5 to boot.

But this is OT.

Oh give me a break bud.

First of all OVECHKIN didn’t get to play at a younger age cause of the lockout so lets use that against him and brag about Laine, I swear Laine will still be a “teenager” in 8 years To some people.

Secondly, and most importantly have you ever considered that Laine scoring all those goals p/60 at 18 was better then Ovi at 20 BECAUSE of the teams the two have been on and he help surrounding them? Believe it or not the reason people value assists so much (I know no one does with Laine) are because creating the play that scored the goal is just as important as finishing it off? Who is going to score more with a lethal sho? A guy who’s best teammates are Chris Clark and Jeff Halpern or a guy being prime fed by ehlers and little and Perrault and byfugilen and scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, et. Laine is spoonfed a lot of his goals, both Guys have “their spot” like a tarasenko, kucherov and at a time Stamkos did. But as I said better linemates, teammates, easier for a sniper to bury. ALSO Ovechkin as you said was way more physical and that part of the game he added especially in his rookie year in which you’re comparing took him out of offensive zone plays. He’s be wrecking people left and right while Laine just kind of is....there. You see glimpses with Laine he will stickbandle with ease by someone in the neutral zone or he will create a play that takes a ton of skill and younsay to yourself “wow why does this guy not play like this all the time?...I’m not gonna call him a floater but he just doesent add much if he’s not scoring with that shot of his despite those glimpses.

Ovechkin? One of the most entertaining rookie years you cold ever watch. I really hope you watched it and weren’t young at the time and if you were I can understand why it LOOKS why there’s an agrument for Laine. Ovechkin was just destroying people left and right on top of not only scoring with no help but scoring highlight reel goals and highlight reel chances every night.

There are times you watch the jets, and you actually forget he’s on the team.

Prime Thomas Vanek is a better comparable then 20 yr old Ovechkin.

Selannes rookie year? That’s a better one, Laine can come out and score 7 goals in the next three games and it changes nothing. He’s too inconsistent, he doesent bring enough to the game, he’s one dimensional, not a great skater and the fact he gets by big time because the one thing he does great happens to be one thing that matters a great deal.

It’s an insult when I hear who he’s compared too and how much money he should make. I don’t care if he was 18/29 and scored over 40 goals. If I’m a jets fan I back up scheifele, wheeler, and Hellebuyck before him.

Ovechkin also scored over 100 pts and beat out crosby and had over 50 assists too.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Oh give me a break bud.

First of all OVECHKIN didn’t get to play at a younger age cause of the lockout so lets use that against him and brag about Laine, I swear Laine will still be a “teenager” in 8 years To some people.

Secondly, and most importantly have you ever considered that Laine scoring all those goals p/60 at 18 was better then Ovi at 20 BECAUSE of the teams the two have been on and he help surrounding them? Believe it or not the reason people value assists so much (I know no one does with Laine) are because creating the play that scored the goal is just as important as finishing it off? Who is going to score more with a lethal sho? A guy who’s best teammates are Chris Clark and Jeff Halpern or a guy being prime fed by ehlers and little and Perrault and byfugilen and scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, et. Laine is spoonfed a lot of his goals, both Guys have “their spot” like a tarasenko, kucherov and at a time Stamkos did. But as I said better linemates, teammates, easier for a sniper to bury. ALSO Ovechkin as you said was way more physical and that part of the game he added especially in his rookie year in which you’re comparing took him out of offensive zone plays. He’s be wrecking people left and right while Laine just kind of is....there. You see glimpses with Laine he will stickbandle with ease by someone in the neutral zone or he will create a play that takes a ton of skill and younsay to yourself “wow why does this guy not play like this all the time?...I’m not gonna call him a floater but he just doesent add much if he’s not scoring with that shot of his despite those glimpses.

Ovechkin? One of the most entertaining rookie years you cold ever watch. I really hope you watched it and weren’t young at the time and if you were I can understand why it LOOKS why there’s an agrument for Laine. Ovechkin was just destroying people left and right on top of not only scoring with no help but scoring highlight reel goals and highlight reel chances every night.

There are times you watch the jets, and you actually forget he’s on the team.

Prime Thomas Vanek is a better comparable then 20 yr old Ovechkin.

Selannes rookie year? That’s a better one, Laine can come out and score 7 goals in the next three games and it changes nothing. He’s too inconsistent, he doesent bring enough to the game, he’s one dimensional, not a great skater and the fact he gets by big time because the one thing he does great happens to be one thing that matters a great deal.

It’s an insult when I hear who he’s compared too and how much money he should make. I don’t care if he was 18/29 and scored over 40 goals. If I’m a jets fan I back up scheifele, wheeler, and Hellebuyck before him.

Ovechkin also scored over 100 pts and beat out crosby and had over 50 assists too.

I think you misunderstood what I even wrote. I was comparing 18yo Laine to 20yo Ovie. I wasn't comparing him to teenage Ovie.

If you want to see what Ovies actual teenage numbers are, here they are (the green ones with "Moscow Dynamo" on them): Alex Ovechkin hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

But this is way too OT already so I'm not gonna get into this with you. Especially with the poor starts of Laine each season. You are a great storyteller but I'm more of a hard-facts guy myself (it would be easier for the reader if you could make your points in a more concise way). If you want to go by looks, go look at Laine's shot. That is Laine's weapon, not his physical power. If you think Ovie has a similar shot, go look at the xGoals data from both. Laine is in his own tier. If you think Laine has had great linemates that score a lot, go look at data from ELL (they average around 3 goals per 10 games as a line).

Laine sure isn't making this comparison look too good so far this season, no disagreements there. Luckily there is still plenty of season left. And people develop at their own pace as well with the final product being at the 23-24yo range. Then we get the final answer to what level a player is.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I voted Rantanen but voted Laine in a similar poll last year. He was great last season and I don't see a reason not to expect further development. So, who knows how things look like in another year?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'll be shocked if Laine ever hits the 84 points Rantanen put up.

Really? He scores 70 points and 44 goals as a 19/20 year old player who doesn't play on the top line and you'll be surprised if he hits 84 points?
Your avatar fits you perfectly

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Really? He scores 70 points and 44 goals as a 19/20 year old player who doesn't play on the top line and you'll be surprised if he hits 84 points?
Your avatar fits you perfectly

He is a sub 30 assist player and has not much else to his game outside of his shot. So yes, while his goal scoring is fantastic, I just don't think he has enough to his game to elevate him elsewhere. Things do change, but as of right now, Laine isn't doing enough to convince me otherwise.

My avatar fits you if you think a player that is only good at scoring can do enough to be a ppg player in this league.

A guy that scores 40 a year and hangs out in the 70 point range is still valuable and really good, but when he's not scoring he's a liability.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad