Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ehhhh not really. Laine never really showed to have the kind of all around game that Rantanen does that allows him to be a ppg player. Laine has an incredibly elite shot and not a lot else to him.
On the other hand, when Rantanen was Laine's age Rantanen wasn't even a 0.5 PPG player.

Do you honestly see Laine having a better season than what Rantanen had last year? Rantanen was PPG.
At some point in Laine's career? Why not?

Remember Laine's 1 and a half years younger.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Do you honestly see Laine having a better season than what Rantanen had last year? Rantanen was PPG.

Well context is important also. Rantanen was playing top-line minutes with Nathan freaking MacKinnon. Laine last season played 16:30 on average in a dysfunctional second line.

But holy sample size batman, how about we see more than 10% of the season first. Hold your horses.

Last season when Laine got Stastny as a center, he immediately broke the teenage point-streak record (held previously by none other than Nathan freaking MacKinnon) so Laine can be very streaky, especially with the right linemates.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Rantanen right now but he is 22 and Laine is 20. Give Laine 2 more years and it's Laine. Some pretty dumb posters in this thread.

Pretty interesting take, considering the fact that Rantanen has improved significantly year after year, while Laine has only regressed significantly.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Pretty interesting take, considering the fact that Rantanen has improved significantly year after year, while Laine has only regressed significantly.
My thoughts as well. Being younger is great but only if you actually improve. Rantanen has clearly been an improved player every single year. After going PPG one would not expect much improvement from Mikko but he has taken his game to the next level.

Well context is important also. Rantanen was playing top-line minutes with Nathan freaking MacKinnon. Laine last season played 16:30 on average in a dysfunctional second line.

But holy sample size batman, how about we see more than 10% of the season first. Hold your horses.

Last season when Laine got Stastny as a center, he immediately broke the teenage point-streak record (held previously by none other than Nathan freaking MacKinnon) so Laine can be very streaky, especially with the right linemates.
All I see is a bunch of excuses. If Laine would be as good as Rantanen was last year then the Jets would be a better team.

Reactions: grieves

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
All I see is a bunch of excuses. If Laine would be as good as Rantanen was last year then the Jets would be a better team.

Laine has had excellent games as well, especially to start the season. The narratives just tend to get out of control. We shall see won't we, let the dude play first for crying out loud.

I'm sure from your POV linemates and ice-time doesn't have any relevance to anything, but that's not something that holds much water.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Laine has had excellent games as well, especially to start the season. The narratives just tend to get out of control. We shall see won't we, let the dude play first for crying out loud.

I'm sure from your POV linemates and ice-time doesn't have any relevance to anything, but that's not something that holds much water.
Sure Rantanen does get more points because he plays on such a dominating line. Both MacKinnon and Landeskog are excellent players and the chemistry is great. This is pretty obvious as top players will produce more if they are given talented linemates. However, Rantanen does not have it easy as he goes against the best the opposition can throw at him all game every game, something Laine does not have to do.

The only numbers I am really interested in is actual production. Rantanen is the more complete player easily and on top of that clearly outproduces Laine. I just don't see Laine becoming a better player, better goalscorer sure but player no.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I went with Rantanen. I'm really very surprised considering I think Laine is pretty special.
But I just can't over look what MR is doing right now.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Sure Rantanen does get more points because he plays on such a dominating line. Both MacKinnon and Landeskog are excellent players and the chemistry is great. This is pretty obvious as top players will produce more if they are given talented linemates. However, Rantanen does not have it easy as he goes against the best the opposition can throw at him all game every game, something Laine does not have to do.

The only numbers I am really interested in is actual production. Rantanen is the more complete player easily and on top of that clearly outproduces Laine. I just don't see Laine becoming a better player, better goalscorer sure but player no.

"All I see are excuses" :D. Just kidding, but actually the second line on the Jets have faced almost identical quality of opposition than the first line. I'm not sure how that would rank league-wide, but the QoC for the top two lines for the Jets is basically the same. Another narrative that has to bite the dust.

How does Rantanen clearly outproduce Laine when Laine has played only a handful of games this season?

Let's just see how it goes first, alright, this is a waste of time :D.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I like Laine too because I freakin' love pure snipers but honestly Rantanen is by far the better overall player right now, and it's not even close. Laine has a looooong way to go before he can drive play like Rantanen does. Laine needs a setup man to find him and a grinder or two to dig out pucks for him, Rantanen IS the setup man and he's big enough and strong enough to go take pucks and protect them. A lot more of the play runs through him than he gets credit for because he's often overlooked by MacKinnon, but Rantanen has been the best player on his line this year.

On the other hand Laine will be the better pure goal scorer by a country mile, I doubt Rantanen ever cracks 40 goals much less the 50+ Laine is capable of, but for overall points Rantanen's ceiling is higher IMO.

If I were to guess their respective ceilings I would say roughly:

Laine: 50-55G / 30-35A / 80-85pts

Rantanen: 30-35G / 60-65A / 90-95pts

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I like Laine too because I freakin' love pure snipers but honestly Rantanen is by far the better overall player right now, and it's not even close. Laine has a looooong way to go before he can drive play like Rantanen does. Laine needs a setup man to find him and a grinder or two to dig out pucks for him, Rantanen IS the setup man and he's big enough and strong enough to go take pucks and protect them. A lot more of the play runs through him than he gets credit for because he's often overlooked by MacKinnon, but Rantanen has been the best player on his line this year.

On the other hand Laine will be the better pure goal scorer by a country mile, I doubt Rantanen ever cracks 40 goals much less the 50+ Laine is capable of, but for overall points Rantanen's ceiling is higher IMO.

If I were to guess their respective ceilings I would say roughly:

Laine: 50-55G / 30-35A / 80-85pts

Rantanen: 30-35G / 60-65A / 90-95pts
This is fair.

As it has been said by many Finnish posters, Rantanen has progressed above expectations while laine has actually regressed this season.

Obviously laines offseason training wasn’t up to par (he himself said it was going “just ok” when interviewed about his Fortnite exploitations)

I still think laine could hit 55 or so points this year, but his effort level has been putrid, according to jets fans (and Byfuglien’s own words), but Rantanen might hit 90 or more this season alone.

This poll should be a landslide

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
As a Jets fan I said it from his first season he has a lot to improve upon, and doesn't really look like he has, which is disappointing. He improved a bit on creating his own shot but still needs a lot of work. Before NHL his mediocre moves would work on mediocre players, but not now. His shot alone will give him 35-40 goals a year, which is amazing, but with some improvements he would be at 50 and a much better player.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Laine is at speed for 40-45g and Rantanen gets 80-90 points, just like last year. Both are getting paid in the summer.

Coin toss.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Currently it's Rantanen and voted him. Edit: I changed my vote to Laine after reading OP’s ”Who ends up the better player”.

I'm still a very confident that Laine will have better career of the two when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Wow what a shift. Last year this time it wouldve been lainec!

I'm fairly certain things will swing back the other way. Eventually

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
To be fair Laine looks like ass this year. Wouldn't still call that regress.

We've seen Laine have his ups and downs before. Everyone is jumping aboard the "Laine sucks now!" train just to disappear when he breaks out of his funk.

Am I happy with his play so far? Nope. Do I expect his play to sit at this level for the rest of the year? LOL no.

If he plays like this all season then, yes, he's regressed.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad