Ranking the Jets' Defencemen

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Hey there fellow Jets fans! I missed most of the season this year (I was travelling in Asia) and I was wondering who people think the best d men on the team are right now (not who has the highest potential).

I'm especially curious about what people think for the 2-4 spots between Myers, Enstrom and Trouba.

On a side note, doesn't it seem like the Jets should have a pretty good top 4? Is the main problem usage or are some of these guys overrated?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hey there fellow Jets fans! I missed most of the season this year (I was travelling in Asia) and I was wondering who people think the best d men on the team are right now (not who has the highest potential).

I'm especially curious about what people think for the 2-4 spots between Myers, Enstrom and Trouba.

On a side note, doesn't it seem like the Jets should have a pretty good top 4? Is the main problem usage or are some of these guys overrated?

Buff

Trouba/Enstrom

Myers

The problem isn't the teams top 4 its poor goaltending and discipline.

They were pretty dominant when we ran this:

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
If we're ranking them by defensive ability, I would go Toby, Myers, trouba. If we were going on offensive ability I would go trouba, Myers, toby

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

While the 3rd pair could use an upgrade, I wouldn't say that the D is a problem at all. If anything I guess they take too many penalties, but that's on all of them (esp. Stu)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Buff
Enstrom
Trouba
Myers

Same as how I'd rank them last year, with the gap between Enstrom and Trouba closing by a fair bit.

They do have a pretty good top 4 in theory, but the problem is that we haven't really seen those four used as a traditional top 4 unit on a consistent basis.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
I really dont see how Trouba is ranked over Myers in anyway. How many times has Myers dangled and went top shelf, or was the third man in on a rush and sniped a wonderful lazer beam. I feel myers even has a better stick and better skating. Imo myers is better defenseman in every way right now

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I really dont see how Trouba is ranked over Myers in anyway. How many times has Myers dangled and went top shelf, or was the third man in on a rush and sniped a wonderful lazer beam. I feel myers even has a better stick and better skating. Imo myers is better defenseman in every way right now

Maybe Trouba's job is to play defense and not score. I like him staying home and not jumping into the play. Maybe once the Jets get a decent goalie he can take more chances on the rush.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg

When I read this, I had the vision that Tyler Myers was sitting at his computer writing this...lol

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Buff

Trouba

Myers/Enstrom

Morrissey
Chiarot

Everybody else

Is how I would rank them right now.

Edit: For me, ideally the Jets convert Enstrom/Myers into a new LH d/Hamonic with the new LH d being younger, bigger, cheaper than Toby, and not a drastic downgrade.

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Buff
Enstrom
Trouba
Myers

Trouba's been closing the gap on Toby. I think this year Trouba will surpass him. Even though we all know the Stu(TM) effect on Trouba, I think we'll all be surprised at how well he'll do away from him for a consistent period of time.

At least I'm damn well praying for him to be kept away from Stu. I'm thinking based on his usage towards the end of the year, and before he got injured, we'll continue seeing a decrease in Stuarts ice time. Also once Trouba locks up his contract we can finally let him flourish with a real partner.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buff
Trouba
Enstrom
Myers
Postma
Chiarot
```````````

Stuart

Trouba needs to be elevated more for having carried Stu.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Defensively: Trouba, Enstrom, Myers
Offensively: Myers, Trouba, Enstrom

Overall: Trouba, Enstrom, Myers

IMO Trouba and Enstrom are pretty close defensively. Enstrom has a great stick and good positioning, but he gets beat out of the corner too much and his skating isn't good enough to make up for his lack of size. Against certain teams it's definitely less of a problem though. Offensively, Enstrom is clearly the worst. The overall rankings are pretty clearcut for me.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Since age is a thing in hockey

Buff
Trouba
Myers
Enstrom

The other guys are pretty much in the same group, I liked what i've seen from Morrissey tho so I'd put him at the top of the other group.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

He can't make breakout passes & is therefore incapable of carrying a pairing. He will always have to play with someone better in order to be effective, which is fine, but it makes it harder to find a useful spot for him. Especially with injuries.

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
Buff
Enstrom
Trouba
**Hamonic ;)
Myers
Melchiori
Morrisey

Postma
Chariot
Stuart