Ranking the Jets' Defencemen

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Has Myers hit his ceiling or is he still getting better?

Might not be at his ceiling just yet, but at age 26 and approaching 500 NHL GPs, his ceiling is pretty well-defined.

I don't see Myers ever becoming a good top pairing defenseman on a contender. I think his max will be a really good second pairing guy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Might not be at his ceiling just yet, but at age 26 and approaching 500 NHL GPs, his ceiling is pretty well-defined.

I don't see Myers ever becoming a good top pairing defenseman on a contender. I think his max will be a really good second pairing guy.

That's where he slots in with the Jets.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really dont see how Trouba is ranked over Myers in anyway. How many times has Myers dangled and went top shelf, or was the third man in on a rush and sniped a wonderful lazer beam. I feel myers even has a better stick and better skating. Imo myers is better defenseman in every way right now

Considering he scored only 3 more than Trouba can't be that many? :dunno: Adam Pardy on the other hand, all that amazing stick handling in traffic, all those toedrags, those forehand backhand dekes in the offensive zone, now that's a #1 defensman better than both of them ;) :sarcasm:

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016

I feel he lacks the elite agility to be a top pairing D man. He can be lit up through the legs with the same move on a regular basis like Jason Zucker did to him on Oct 18th, or be out worked by the rookie Hudson Fasching in his first period in the NHL on April 26th against Buffalo. These two examples are very telling of Trouba's flaws if you are looking close enough. Now for his offensive game.

To me Myers can handle the puck offensively almost worthy of Top pairing status. If its not flying down on a end to end rush. Or being the third man in. Also Myers can snipe almost as good as our only elite Dman. Trouba is no where close to Myers in offensive instinct and raw skill. Imo if we add up his lack of offensive skill and his lack of agility we have a potential very good 3/4.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Myers is a little overrated personally.

Buff

Trouba/Enstrom

Myers

Postma

Chiarot

Melchiori/Stuart

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I feel he lacks the elite agility to be a top pairing D man. He can be lit up through the legs with the same move on a regular basis like Jason Zucker did to him on Oct 18th, or be out worked by the rookie Hudson Fasching in his first period in the NHL on April 26th against Buffalo. These two examples are very telling of Trouba's flaws if you are looking close enough. Now for his offensive game.

To me Myers can handle the puck offensively almost worthy of Top pairing status. If its not flying down on a end to end rush. Or being the third man in. Also Myers can snipe almost as good as our only elite Dman. Trouba is no where close to Myers in offensive instinct and raw skill. Imo if we add up his lack of offensive skill and his lack of agility we have a potential very good 3/4.

I do think Trouba's skating is not as good as it could be and I feel he uses too short of a stick. I did see some things late in the season that were very promising for Trouba though. His game seemed to really start clicking to me. And something that I really liked was how he was able to deflect shots away or out of play while one on one. Something Enstrom has perfected.

As for Myers' offensive instincts. They kinda suck honestly. How many times does he have to rush up the ice before he actually generates a chance? I have no problem with him taking it up the ice but his decision making is sub par compared to his talent level. And I don't wanna even get started on his defensive game. :help: :laugh:

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
I do think Trouba's skating is not as good as it could be and I feel he uses too short of a stick. I did see some things late in the season that were very promising for Trouba though. His game seemed to really start clicking to me. And something that I really liked was how he was able to deflect shots away or out of play while one on one. Something Enstrom has perfected.

As for Myers' offensive instincts. They kinda suck honestly. How many times does he have to rush up the ice before he actually generates a chance? I have no problem with him taking it up the ice but his decision making is sub par compared to his talent level. And I don't wanna even get started on his defensive game. :help: :laugh:

I agree his definsive game is lacking. I was just using him as an example to explain what i feel i lacking in troubas offensive game.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

You should re-watch some highlights from Trouba's rookie season. Clearly he has been told to jump up less. He went from playing an overly confident, overly aggressive and risky game to the safest game of any of the RHD. Myers doesn't have good instincts/vision, he just jumps into the rush all the time. Myers definitely has Trouba beat in terms of speed, but I'd give puckhandling to Trouba. Myers doesn't have a great shot, so I'm not sure where you're seeing that.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
1. Buff-obvious
2. Trouba-top pair potential, hope he wants to stay and signs for $5MX7 (and not a penny more), but not sure if that's the case
3. Myers-a very good #3, underrated on this board

4. Enstrom-offence declining, showing his age physically, trade bait if Trouba signs LT and plays top pair LHD
5. Postma-solid#5 and PP2, if given the opportunity and stays healthy; looked much better, stronger in his own end near the end of the year
6. Chiarot-still more upside

7. Morrissey-ceiling as yet unknown, but has to be better than Stu
8. Melchiori
9. Stu-playing coach with the Moose? :naughty:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think Myers is a little overrated personally.

Buff

Trouba/Enstrom

Myers

Postma

Chiarot

Melchiori/Stuart

Agree, but so is Buff. Sure he's just come off an excellent season, but lets not anoint him as our # 1 just yet. IMO Trouba has more than enough skill/ability to be our top D and its wouldn't even be close BUT he needs to get his mind into the right sphere & get a decent partner once.

Having said that, I'll go:
Trouba/Buff

Enstrom/Myers/Morrissey (Enstrom is slipping more due to age; Myers still not convinced he's near as good as some believe; Morrissey will be dang good when he finally makes it & gets a year or two under his belt)

Postma/Chariot (both have their warts)

Stuart/Melchiori -- no future for either

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just because Trouba might get to a #1 level soon doesn't mean Buff isn't a #1. He most certainly is and Trouba getting there only makes us that much harder to beat.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Just because Trouba might get to a #1 level soon doesn't mean Buff isn't a #1. He most certainly is and Trouba getting there only makes us that much harder to beat.

Buff was our #1 last year (not even close) but have you forgot how bad Bad Buff can be?
Trouba's not close to # 1 yet, but thats my projection for him 1-2 years down the road if he can get his head screwed on & resume the play that had him rated as elite-like for the first year or two.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I really dont see how Trouba is ranked over Myers in anyway. How many times has Myers dangled and went top shelf, or was the third man in on a rush and sniped a wonderful lazer beam. I feel myers even has a better stick and better skating. Imo myers is better defenseman in every way right now

100% agree with this.I would rank Trouba/Entrom 3/4.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Buff was our #1 last year (not even close) but have you forgot how bad Bad Buff can be?
Trouba's not close to # 1 yet, but thats my projection for him 1-2 years down the road if he can get his head screwed on & resume the play that had him rated as elite-like for the first year or two.

Well anyone can be bad for that matter. Every defenseman has their moments. But Buff's bad moments have been less frequent over the years and not as bad as early on. I firmly believe Buff has reached a new tier as a defense man. One that will put him in the Norris conversation over the next 2-3 years.

I think Trouba's play he last 20 games or so was he best hockey he's played yet. I think his defensive game turned a corner. But a 1-2 year projection for reaching his ceiling is probably where I'd put it as well.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Buff

Enstrom

Myers
Trouba

Chiarot
Postma

Melchiori

Stu

Our starting D men in 2017...
Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Chychrun Hamonic
about 26 million a year.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Enstrom still overrated as hell on hfboards Jets. Strange... I never hear people say good things about his game in person, tons of haters though.
Buff, Trouba, and Myers are better now. Without question moving forward.

He's definitely benefited from playing with a strong group of RHDs, looks great in comparison to our sad sack stable of lefties. When was the last time he had to carry a dead weight partner like Stu for an extended stretch?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hey there fellow Jets fans! I missed most of the season this year (I was travelling in Asia) and I was wondering who people think the best d men on the team are right now (not who has the highest potential).

I'm especially curious about what people think for the 2-4 spots between Myers, Enstrom and Trouba.

On a side note, doesn't it seem like the Jets should have a pretty good top 4? Is the main problem usage or are some of these guys overrated?

1. Dustin Byfuglien
2. Toby Enstrom
3. Jacob Trouba
4. Tyler Myers
5. Josh Morrissey
6. Mark Stuart
7. Ben Chiarot
8. Paul Postma
9. Julian Melchiori
10 Brenden Kichton

Jets defensive problems begin with usage. Maurice spent a year with this team employing left & right shooting defensmen on their natural side in both game & practice situations. It wasn't until injuries forced his hand that Trouba was provided an opportunity to play his off side, more minutes & most importantly away from Mark Stuart.

This is the second time where necessity forced Maurice's hand. Enstrom's injury last season resulted in Perrault taking a point position on the power play, where he has remained ever since. Shouldn't coaches be able to see potential & exploit it rather than waiting for their hand to be forced? The Jets are well aware they are weak on LD. Trouba should have been shifted over the moment Byfuglien returned to playing defense last season.

The Jets problems continue due to penalties during the first half of the season when 5 Jets' defensemen found themselves in the leagues top 10 in minor penalties, penalty minutes & penalty minutes per game. In their last 11 games the defense only took 9 penalties, far down from what had been their norm. With this improvement, they won 6 games, had 3 over time losses & the remaining 2 games losing by a single goal.

This core can be much better than the results last season. Melchiori's games translated to the NHL much better than expected. It will grow stronger once Morrissey is deemed ready & could improve substantially should the Hamonic deal occur without being fleeced by Snow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad