Rank these young dmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He'll never be a rah rah kind of guy. Just a guy who goes about and does his business with very little notice or fan fare. I'd take him on my team.

Um, i think in general it's not people feeling that coburn will be a bust (which at least in my mind means "won't make the NHL") but that he won't fulfill the potential and expectations of being drafted as high as he was. you even say here yourself that he'll be a quiet defender that won't garner a lot of notice. I think most people expected more out of Coburn than that...they expected him to be a player you notice on the ice and who stands out on the blueline, and they feel he's not fulfilling that yet

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Levitate said:
Um, i think in general it's not people feeling that coburn will be a bust (which at least in my mind means "won't make the NHL") but that he won't fulfill the potential and expectations of being drafted as high as he was. you even say here yourself that he'll be a quiet defender that won't garner a lot of notice. I think most people expected more out of Coburn than that...they expected him to be a player you notice on the ice and who stands out on the blueline, and they feel he's not fulfilling that yet

Exactly!! Thank You...

When Coburn came out of Bantam and Midget he was in a hockey magazine listed with Spezza, Kovalchuk, Bouwmeester and Spezza s the next big things in hockey... He did have a fairly successful junior career and will be a good NHLer his hype machine was working overtime at a young age and I do not think he will ever reach the heights or the Chris Pronger status that many had him pegged as coming into the WHL.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
ktown hockey said:
Exactly!! Thank You...

When Coburn came out of Bantam and Midget he was in a hockey magazine listed with Spezza, Kovalchuk, Bouwmeester and Spezza s the next big things in hockey... He did have a fairly successful junior career and will be a good NHLer his hype machine was working overtime at a young age and I do not think he will ever reach the heights or the Chris Pronger status that many had him pegged as coming into the WHL.
Coburn shouldn't be punished for someone else's mistake in comparing him to Chris Pronger. He is not like Pronger, but that doesn't mean he can't be a great defenseman in his own mold. He was drafted at #8 overall expected to be a top 2 defenseman with the potential to be a franchise defenseman, and that's exactly where he still sits in my mind. He is extremely mobile, deceptively quick, uses his massive reach very effectively, is rarely beat 1 on 1, and makes generally smart decisions in his own end. He also makes a crisp simple break out pass and moves the puck reasonably well at the junior level, and although I think he may have some issues with the puck making the transition to the NHL, I am fully confident he will overcome that. I've heard his passion questioned, but having watched him a fair amount, I have no idea why. I've seen him stand up for teammates on multiple occasions, sometimes even dropping the gloves. He isn't as physical as you'd like for a 6'5 guy, but he does use his size and strength effectively. I also disagree on your comment that he doesn't think the game well. I think he is very smart in his own zone and without the puck. He doesn't have the best offensive instincts and his decision making with the puck could be better, but it's certainly adequate. I don't quite know what you or other people expect of a #8 overall pick, but I judge the quality of a pick not by how flashy or popular he might become, but how good. A likely top two with franchise potential is pretty good in my mind.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
where i think they will be when they are in there primes:

Phanuef
Jack Johnson
Suter
Hamhuis
Barker
Babchuk
Coburn
Weber

all will be good defensemen, that the key thing tho

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Is there any reason to pick someone other then Phaneuf at the time being other then being a homer or hating Phaneuf/Calgary.....I highly doubt it.

yes...i think the other players will be better.

I don't ***** about your opinions, so please dont about mine.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Neither do I, it was more or less aimed at the poster who did it. Who I've had long threads about that topic. I was just waiting for him to post it, and was happy he did.

I am suprised Coburn is getting the shaft.. well, okay I'm not suprised. I think he still has the potential to be the best of that group. Although, yes, right now a Suter or Phaneuf look like sure bets.

disagree all you want...although at least my opinions dont change with the flavor of the week.(not saying yours do) ;)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
although at least my opinions dont change with the flavor of the week.
Suggesting Phaneuf is the flavour of the week?

It's been one hell of a week of that's the case.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
pavel datsyuk said:
yes...i think the other players will be better.

I don't ***** about your opinions, so please dont about mine.
Yeah, but you have been noticably anti-Calgary and everything about them since they neutralized and knocked your precious Datsyuk out of the play-offs last year, so maybe your tainted opinion doesn't count to a lot of people on a subject like this. You can still have it though, but don't expect people to take it seriously.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
no, i wasn't. I was suggesting that most posters around here do that. I've been consistant with my views on Phaneuf.
As have others. Most here, (and everywhere else) have had Phaneuf #1 for some times now. The flavour of the week comment was weak on your part.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
ryz said:
Yeah, but you have been noticably anti-Calgary and everything about them since they neutralized and knocked your precious Datsyuk out of the play-offs last year, so maybe your tainted opinion doesn't count to a lot of people on a subject like this. You can still have it though, but don't expect people to take it seriously.

how so? I've been a closet flames fan since i started watching hockey. The video store near my house only had one hockey video, the flames cup run. I ended up buying it because it was cheaper than renting it all the time. I grew up watching Pepper, Lanny, Otto, and Fleury.

I have 2 fleury jerseys, and autographed pic, and i met him once.

My 'precious' datsyuk wasn't knocked out of the playoffs, the red wings were. They didn't play up to calgary's level.

Also, i'm not anti-any team. If anyting, i'm more critical of my own team than anyone elses.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
As have others. Most here, (and everywhere else) have had Phaneuf #1 for some times now. The flavour of the week comment was weak on your part.

I wasn't calling Phaneuf the 'flavor of the week', so stop nit-picking.

jesus christ, i have an opinion, get over it.

Also, for the record, i've said the same things about Weber as i have about Phaneuf. Just dont think they're worth the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad