Phaneuf
Barker
Suter
Johnson
Hamhuis
Coburn
Weber
Babchuk

Personally, I think the top 4 are set and the second set of 4 could switch up and still be fairly accurate.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
1) Phanuef - Physically dominant D-MAN... good offensive skills and has a mean streak... also is one of the best defensive dmen around should be a top D in the show.
2) Barker - Incredible offensive game.. sees the ice very well and isnt too shabby in his own end.. will be a PP QB for years to come.. with the right coaching and a little more physical play he could be the best player out of his draft class IMO
3) Jack Johnson - Has a little bit of everything.. good offensive instincts... good pure skills.. and isn't afraif to throw the body... putting all this together in the NHL will make him a top 2 dman for sure.
4) Suter - Rugged defender with a very good first pass... in excellent shape and doesn't back down from a confrontation.. future captain material at the NHL level
5) Weber - Big strong and can shoot the puck.. weber will be a dominant dman but I think his skating will limit him to a second pairing... or a defensive role with a top offensive dman
6) Babchuk - Pretty solid all around .. nothing to spectacular that would make you think he'd be a top paiing dman... I think he could jump up into that category over time.. knows the game well.. can play the body and has a good shot and release.
7) Hamhuis - The most mature of these young dmen right now... can be a PP threat and most likely a stronger teams 2-3 Dman eventually and maybe he can carry the load for a weaker team... very NHL ready as he showed in the AHL and with his short time so far in the NHL.
8) Coburn - Not entirely sold on this kid... huge upside but I just dont know if he'll be able to meet this upside.. seems a little slow to react to situations and isnt the most outstanding hockey mind either... never the less he has amazing potential and plays very well in the AHL.. so maybe he just needed higher competition to get him going.. I could see him either as a third pair D or if he reaches his upside a numebr 1 dman... as the thrashers would hope!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hamhuis did put up good numbers in the NHL despite getting mop up powerplay time. With Kimmo and Zids in front he did't get much time at all on the powerplay yet still put up close to 30 points, most at even strength.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
triggrman said:
Hamhuis did put up good numbers in the NHL despite getting mop up powerplay time. With Kimmo and Zids in front he did't get much time at all on the powerplay yet still put up close to 30 points, most at even strength.

DO you have his exact PP numbers because nhlpa doesn't even list Hamhuis on their site.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
DO you have his exact PP numbers because nhlpa doesn't even list Hamhuis on their site.

8 of his 29 points came on the powerplay ... according to nhl.com's stat section

RK PLAYER TEAM POS GP PPG PPA PPP
1 DAN HAMHUIS NAS D 80 2 6 8

and ditto's triggrman's ranking

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
ktownhockey said:
2) Barker - Incredible offensive game.. sees the ice very well and isnt too shabby in his own end.. will be a PP QB for years to come.. with the right coaching and a little more physical play he could be the best player out of his draft class IMO

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Good stuff. I guess you tuned in after the first two selections... :shakehead

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
nomorekids said:
Judging by their performances this year, I'd be more comfortable with Meszaros.

So 1 so-so year but still good makes a prospect questionable and 1 good year makes another prospect that much better? IMO, barker has all the tools and size to be a strong offensive player and QB the PP as well. I think his peak is a Redden type player.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
So 1 so-so year but still good makes a prospect questionable and 1 good year makes another prospect that much better? IMO, barker has all the tools and size to be a strong offensive player and QB the PP as well. I think his peak is a Redden type player.

nah, i wasn't too impressed with barker in his draft year, either. he's just one of those guys that doesn't do it for me. i think he'll be a good d-man...but not on the elite level that some of these other guys could be.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
nomorekids said:
nah, i wasn't too impressed with barker in his draft year, either. he's just one of those guys that doesn't do it for me. i think he'll be a good d-man...but not on the elite level that some of these other guys could be.

TO each their own..I think barker has shown flashes of top end offensive play potential. With any young guys, consistancy and strength will have to improve.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Barker is overrated because of his draft position. He is not in the same class as Phaneuf, Suter and even Hamhuis imo. Everyone says what great tools he has and he just needs to put it together, but I think even his tools are becoming overrated. He's okay, but even when strictly talking tools I don't think he's as good as Phaneuf or Suter, and factor in his seeming disinterest and complete lack of consistency and I'd say Barker is at or near the bottom of this list.

For me:

Phaneuf
Suter
Hamhuis
Coburn
Weber
Barker

I haven't seen enough of Babchuk and Johnson to rank them.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
There are so many comparisons jumping around nowadays. Makes me almost wish I was an NHL scout so I could view all these kids so I could make a fair assesment. I'm not making any homer list because I haven't seen them. Aside from Babchuk, I've heard conflicting reports about Barker. The Hawks said they were high on character in that draft and that Barker spent 3 hours with the Hawks psychologist before the draft. If he busts, someone needs to be fired. No question. And accountability is so high with Sutter. I guess we got the wrong one.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Anton Babchuk: One of these defenceman ain't like the others.

Seriously, how he got mixed in with this group of future stars is confounding. I can think of a dozen other Calder-eligible prospect defencemen who will be better than Babchuk who weren't included in this list (including fellow Blackhawk prospect Seabrook.)

My ranking:

*Phaneuf
*Hamhuis
*Barker
*Johnson
*Suter (Really close 2-5)
*Weber
*Coburn
*At least 12 other guys
*Babchuk

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
The answer to your question gentlemen is JAMES WISNIEWSKI!

*ahem* My point being that players who put up offensive numbers in junior shouldn't be used as the defacto yardstick as to how they will be in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->