Confirmed with Link: Rangers Trade Kolarik to Pens for Benn Ferriero

*Bob Richards*

Kolarik is PA Parenteau 2.0 who will never make it in the NHL IMO.

He puts up points in the AHL but that doesn't always transfer over.

For the first time in my life I trust the rangers brass to do what's right. They've built this team pretty quickly and the supplemental pieces have all been wisely chosen. If they think this is right, I approve.

I checked Google to make sure there wasn't another P.A. Parenteau. Nope, just the one that posted a mere 67 points last season.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
The was I see it kolarik was a top 6 or bust kind of guy and I don't see that coming from him, and ferriero can play a bottom 6 role, and has nhl experience I really don't think kolarik is going to amount to anything and ferriero is a better depth option having some experience under his belt.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Part of a larger equation I suspect. Rangers need younger depth they like. Kreider needs LOTS of work and time.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Kolarik is PA Parenteau 2.0 who will never make it in the NHL IMO.

He puts up points in the AHL but that doesn't always transfer over.

For the first time in my life I trust the rangers brass to do what's right. They've built this team pretty quickly and the supplemental pieces have all been wisely chosen. If they think this is right, I approve.
The Parenteau that's put up 120 points over the past two seasons in the NHL, yea his game never transferred :shakehead

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Ferriero doesn't have what I would consider the "normal" 4th line skill set. He's a scoring forward with moderate play making abilities that will excel with other like players. He can play center but does most of his "damage" as a right winger. Here in Worcester it was not uncommon for Ferriero to take an offensive draw and then switch to RW as the play went on.

He's not the best back checker in the world but he's also far from the worst. He killed penalties here in Worcester (we had four great PKers here so saying he was in the 3rd pairing isn't a slight) but I suspect that's not something he would do at the NHL level.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Wow, I can't believe people are upset about this and still think Kolarik is going to be something. He's 27 years old. We were going to invite a virtual unknown young player in Hrivik to camp. Did we invite Kolarik to camp? The kid is probably never going to play as many NHL games in his life as Ferriero already has.

Punxrocknyc19*

He did play on the same team as Brian Boyle at school. Does anyone know if they were on the same line or if they had chemistry?? Maybe he will be on Boyle's line if he ever gets called up.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We were going to invite a virtual unknown young player in Hrivik to camp..

Just because someone is unknown to fans, doesn't mean he's unknown to the organization. You know what Kreider did in the NHL last playoffs that sent everyone giddy? Well, Hrivik was twice as important for Hartford in the same playoffs, scoring 9 points in 9 games, five of them goals. And whereas Kreider started the season poorly in both Hartford and New York, Hrivik was proving himself a very capable AHL first liner.

This whole forum would break into a mass celebration if Miller had been called up, but Miller is easily two steps behind Hrivik, who actually looks decently polished and able to make decisions quick enough to play against pro players, which J.T. still cannot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just because someone is unknown to fans, doesn't mean he's unknown to the organization. You know what Kreider did in the NHL last playoffs that sent everyone giddy? Well, Hrivik was twice as important for Hartford in the same playoffs, scoring 9 points in 9 games, five of them goals. And whereas Kreider started the season poorly in both Hartford and New York, Hrivik was proving himself a very capable AHL first liner.

This whole forum would break into a mass celebration if Miller had been called up, but Miller is easily two steps behind Hrivik, who actually looks decently polished and able to make decisions quick enough to play against pro players, which J.T. still cannot.

It's true that Hrivik isn't really an unknown in the organization, but I think that's beside the point MPF was making. Kolarik, who some people seem to have a strange fascination with, lost out on an invite to an UDFA that hadn't been in our organization for even a year. It's no knock on Hrivik, rather a sign that the organization wasn't too keen on Kolarik and what he could bring to the big club.

Correct me if I'm wrong, MPF.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ferriero was really bad with Wilkes Barre this year. I'm not trying to be that guy that craps on a player when they get moved, but I'm thrilled that he's gone.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ferriero was really bad with Wilkes Barre this year. I'm not trying to be that guy that craps on a player when they get moved, but I'm thrilled that he's gone.

Not sure why he would potentially go into the Ranger lineup then. Maybe he does start in the AHL

Kreider needs to have a good game 2nite if so.

Controlling him as an RFA for another yr is a bonus though

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ferriero does everything Kolarik does, but he's younger and has already proven himself as a viable spare forward. High energy and isn't afraid of the dirty areas. Could be a 3rd/4th line call-up as he definitely fits the mold of this team.

I'm good with it.

Yeah, I don't think Kolarik was optimal depth line material if you get what I mean. I don't know if Ferriero is better than Kolarik. But he seems to be better suited for like 8 minutes a night type of role. I've not seen Kolarik in that role, but my guess is that he plays the game with a bit too small marginals to thrive in that role.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

This entire board reads way too much into things. I'm not INSULTING Hrivik. The point is, he's a young player who still has a lot to prove and more developing to do and we thought he had a better chance of contributing on the third line than Kolarik. I wasn't slighting Hrivik. Your post is so irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that Kolarik was never going to be an NHL regular in NY... if anywhere at all.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It's true that Hrivik isn't really an unknown in the organization, but I think that's beside the point MPF was making. Kolarik, who some people seem to have a strange fascination with, lost out on an invite to an UDFA that hadn't been in our organization for even a year. It's no knock on Hrivik, rather a sign that the organization wasn't too keen on Kolarik and what he could bring to the big club.

Correct me if I'm wrong, MPF.

This is exactly what I was trying to say 2k, thanks. You probably explained it much better than I did as well.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Maybe it's just a shakeup for two AHL clubs, where their respective management believe they should be performing better, without moving a prospect they want to develop.

Could also be for Hartford to put the responsibility and opportunity on some of its Kids to the the scoring leaders rather than a tweener vet.

Last edited:

16 To Stanley*

The Parenteau that's put up 120 points over the past two seasons in the NHL, yea his game never transferred :shakehead

maybe you misunderstood my post. I meant it has he is like a p.a parenteau type player BUT his game won't translate to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad