Confirmed with Link: Rangers Trade Kolarik to Pens for Benn Ferriero

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Serious question:

What can Ferriero do that Kolarik can not?

Kolarik > Ferriero at the AHL level.

Will Ferriero be ahead of Segal, Hrivik, Jean, Newbury, Mashinter, Haley in terms of order of call-up?

IMO it weakened an already weak Whale team and didn't add anything in terms of either long-term talent or short-term insurance.

This isn't about the Whale, and Kolarik isn't significantly better than him in the AHL. So, if you're looking for more versatility in the guys who are your depth players for the NHL roster, who would you rather have? The guy with 92 games of NHL experience at 26 (turns that in April) or the guy with 6 games of NHL experience at 27 (turns that on Saturday)?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Kolarik is not that far ahead of Ferriero in terms of AHL offensive ability.

Ferriero is a better fit as a bottom 6 energy guy. For whatever little bit you lose in AHL offense you make up with having NHL depth (even if its bot necessarily the best depth) on the checking lines.

Clearly, after seeing his cup of coffee and AHL play during the lockout, Torts was not a Kolarik fan.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe they seer Ferriero as their 13th forward? Keep Newbury and Segal in Connecticut permanently?

Not sure I agree with that sentiment considering Jesse Winchester is still to be had I believe for just cash correct? Same with Dvorak?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ferriero is a good energy guy for the bottom six. He fits that role better than Kolarik. The difference in AHL scoring is minimal. Ferriero is younger and has actual NHL experience. He's a better fit for our bottom lines than Kolarik. This trade has nothing to do with Hartford.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Serious question:

What can Ferriero do that Kolarik can not?

Kolarik > Ferriero at the AHL level.

Will Ferriero be ahead of Segal, Hrivik, Jean, Newbury, Mashinter, Haley in terms of order of call-up?

IMO it weakened an already weak Whale team and didn't add anything in terms of either long-term talent or short-term insurance.

It's not about the AHL. It's about the NHL. Ferriero can play an energy game while bringing some offense, where Kolarik is pretty much offense or nothing. That makes Benn much better suited to a bottom-six role. While Ferriero is having a down year with WBS, he's not a downgrade offensively at the AHL level.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Maybe they seer Ferriero as their 13th forward? Keep Newbury and Segal in Connecticut permanently?

Not sure I agree with that sentiment considering Jesse Winchester is still to be had I believe for just cash correct? Same with Dvorak?

Jesse Winchester is more of the same as Newbury and Segal, who are more of the same as Rupp and Asham. I'm a big advocate for bringing in guys that give your lineup some versatility, particularly in the bottom-6. I would've been fine with Dvorak, but maybe they're just trying to keep contract slots open.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's not about the AHL. It's about the NHL. Ferriero can play an energy game while bringing some offense, where Kolarik is pretty much offense or nothing. That makes Benn much better suited to a bottom-six role. While Ferriero is having a down year with WBS, he's not a downgrade offensively at the AHL level.

I will have to trust your judgement. I wasn't a big fan of his in SJ. I remember he can scoot pretty well though. Maybe that's the hope. TO get a better skater on the 4th line to create some pressure. Hope so.

16 To Stanley*

Kolarik is PA Parenteau 2.0 who will never make it in the NHL IMO.

He puts up points in the AHL but that doesn't always transfer over.

For the first time in my life I trust the rangers brass to do what's right. They've built this team pretty quickly and the supplemental pieces have all been wisely chosen. If they think this is right, I approve.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Shades of Grachev? I remember the board being very high on him. Think he can still make it? I know he looked pretty good for the BLues in his first games with them. Then I stopped following him, and forgot about him, until now. haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad