Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's a fairly low likelihood that BOTH Staal and Girardi aren't on next year's roster.

That's why it is called daydreaming. Although... Let's not forget that 1 extra team (Vegas) basically means dilluted talent across the league and players like Staal and Girardi might have some value because there is more need for defensemen. Maybe not Vegas, but what if a team needs a veteran D-man after losing one in the expansion draft?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If Gorton can find a way so Staal, Giradi, Klein, Holden are not in the top 6 next season I will be very happy. Sadly, I think we're stuck with at least 2 of them and as long as they are here, AV will play them.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Given our dearth of talent on the right side and Bereglazov's KHL out-clause, we already have something looking pretty excellent if Smith re-signs.

McDonagh-Smith
Skjei-XXXXXX
Bereglazov-Pionk

I'd pencil in Clendo next to Skjei, but AV gonna AV. Graves might push for a spot too. With Day, Pedrie, and Zboro (and hopefully Brännström :naughty:) that's quite the turnaround.

Just gotta take out the trash. Staal, G, Holden, Klein, and Kampfer get lost.

Keep Smith with Skjei and try and move a forward (Be that Nash, Hayes, Zucc) for someone to play with McDonagh.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm all for bundling Raanta + Hayes for some more quality on the right side. Honka would be an ideal get, but I can't really see Dallas giving him up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In case anyone was wondering... Neal Pionk is the 5th player who went to Minnesota-Duluth, to join the Rangers.

The other 4:
Curt Giles (86-88)
Mark Heaslip (76-78)
Norm Maciver (86-89)
Mark Pavelich (81-86)

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Guys, I think the Trouba ship has sailed. Highly doubt Winnipeg is gonna trade him now.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I wonder if Shattenkirk will even be gone after in the off-season. He's going to command a large sum of money even with a hometown discount. How about buy out 5 or 18 (I can't see keeping both), resigning Smith, and letting these youngsters play?

The pessimist in me thinks the Shattenkirk deal will be one of those we'll live to regret it things.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hmmm. Who can we go after next?

Will Butcher?
Alex Kerfoot?
Igor Ozhiganov?
Andreas Borgman?

I think Butcher will be actively pursued. Vesey won the Hobey Baker last year, the Rangers have rewarded him with lots of ice time. Butcher could get the same options if he signs here.

I feel that Borgman will sign with us based on the info I've read here.

I think it's time for NYR to move on from all the older vets at whatever cost. There's going to be enough prospects coming into the pipeline within 1.5 calendars years from today if Gorton keeps this stuff up, not to mention the fact that we're not trading 1st rounders anymore

Staal, Nash, Girardi, Klein, Holden, Kampfer, Stepan, etc all need to be moved very soon. Stepan being very last on that list.

I don't move Zucc. He's the only player actually exceeding what his contract costs us.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Guys, I think the Trouba ship has sailed. Highly doubt Winnipeg is gonna trade him now.

Agreed...I think what's needed is a quality partner for McDonagh. Josh Manson would be ideal, but I doubt Anaheim is looking to move him.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Defense is looking good for next year and the future. McD, Skjei, Smith, Bereglazov, Pionk, Graves, etc.

Who am I kidding, the top 4 is still going to be McD-G, Staal-Holden and Skjei playing with some garbage ass player like Brian Strait after Smith bolts from AV.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I wonder if Shattenkirk will even be gone after in the off-season. He's going to command a large sum of money even with a hometown discount. How about buy out 5 or 18 (I can't see keeping both), resigning Smith, and letting these youngsters play?

The pessimist in me thinks the Shattenkirk deal will of of those we'll live to regret it things.
If they don't add someone who can run a first PP unit from the backend (Shattenkirk or not Shattenkirk), I'll be mildly upset.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think that depends on if hes willing to stay there or not.

If he really doesn't want to stay there, it would be best for Winnipeg to move him this summer.

Even if that is the case, Gordon would have to get creative to land him.

I wouldn't be opposed to Zucc+Raanta for Klingberg and Roussel.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Agreed...I think what's needed is a quality partner for McDonagh. Josh Manson would be ideal, but I doubt Anaheim is looking to move him.

Manson is going nowhere. Vatanen is the guy they're going to move, who honestly, would probably fit just as good as Shattenkirk would on this defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad