Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So GMJG has added Pedrie, Beer Glass, possibly Simek, now Pionk and is reportedly in on Borgmann...that is some fine work in rebuilding this D.

Even if most of these guys can't crack our roster, which Bereglazov and Pionk might, they would be good to spend some time in the AHL.

Bereglazov probably makes the team because of his KHL out clause, but having these guys in the AHL is so much better than what was recently. Pedrie, Pionk, Simek (if signed), Graves, Paliotta, possibly Day, Zboro as an AHL defense would be nice. Would make watching Hartford worth while for the defense.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Question for those who would know these things...is this the equivalent of getting a Ghost-level talent. I'm not comparing him to Ghost in actual skillset, just the level of talent.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Question for those who would know these things...is this the equivalent of getting a Ghost-level talent. I'm not comparing him to Ghost in actual skillset, just the level of talent.

4. Neal Pionk, Defenseman, Minnesota Duluth

In his sophomore season, the Duluth-area native has developed into the top defenseman for the Bulldogs, who have spent much of the season as one of the top teams in the country.

Pionk is a very good two-way defenseman thanks to his excellent skating ability and agility. He moves the puck up the ice reliably thanks to an ability to spin his way out of traffic and is an excellent outlet passer. His quickness also gives him the confidence to hold the line in the offensive zone, rather than giving up ice to give himself more cushion defensively.

He’s just an okay defender one-on-one against the rush, but has an above average amount of toughness and physicality for a guy that will classify as a smaller defenseman at the next level.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...2016-2017-aston-reese-brickley-pionk-kelleher

Sign me up for that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Sounds like he has all of the necessary qualities for the way the game is currently played on the backend.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Tkachyov would be the icing on the cake for that crop of players.

Day-dreaming about next season is even more fun now:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Stepan-Zuccarello
Tkachyov-Hayes-Miller
Fast-Lindberg-Grabner

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Smith
Holden-Pionk

Lundqvist
FA goalie

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Day-dreaming about next season is even more fun now:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Stepan-Zuccarello
Tkachyov-Hayes-Miller
Fast-Lindberg-Grabner

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Smith
Holden-Pionk

Lundqvist
FA goalie

I think it's a fairly low likelihood that BOTH Staal and Girardi aren't on next year's roster.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Given our dearth of talent on the right side and Bereglazov's KHL out-clause, we already have something looking pretty excellent if Smith re-signs.

McDonagh-Smith
Skjei-XXXXXX
Bereglazov-Pionk

I'd pencil in Clendo next to Skjei, but AV gonna AV. Graves might push for a spot too. With Day, Pedrie, and Zboro (and hopefully Brännström :naughty:) in the system, that's quite the turnaround.

Just gotta take out the trash. Staal, G, Holden, Klein, and Kampfer get lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad