Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sens, Sat Nov 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I think this it, too. Hoffman, in terms of chance production, kind of reminds me of Kessel. Sure, he benefits from playing with good/great players, but he can still put up the numbers on his own if he needs too.

That said, this could be a really cool line. Pageau and Chia are really good at getting the puck from the boards/opposition. Hoffman is really good at being somewhere that the puck will likely go. Not only that, but the top line / pairing will likely be vs. Stone/Turris, so the 2nd best group will have to decide if they want to cover Zib/Ryan or Hoffman.

Didn't we used to let Havlat run wild some games and he would score hattricks? Let's hope for the same with Hoffy!

I have been pleasantly surprised with michaleks improved game this year, but hes not scaring anyone offensively anymore

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If we are going to lose let it not be by blowing a lead/tied game in the final minutes/seconds of the game.

BTW Lmfao at Hoffman thinking this organization is gonna give him the best opportunity to stack the $$$

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If we are going to lose let it not be by blowing a lead/tied game in the final minutes/seconds of the game.

BTW Lmfao at Hoffman thinking this organization is gonna give him the best opportunity to stack the $$$

Hoffman in Dallas would be a murderer

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Hoffman seems to do a good job creating offense on his own. Maybe its a ploy to spark the 3rd line? Where MM had success with that top line last year and has been a dud after the first two games this year... might be part of a strategy to get some guys going.

Just a guess.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Hoff to the 3rd line makes no sense, even from a spreading the offence stance. who's he going to take advantage of? McDonough and Klein will have the Turris Stone 9MM line, Staal and Girardi shut down Ryan and Zibby, and then Hoffman runs rampant over... oh wait, Yandle and Boyle 10 million+ invested in the Rags 3rd pairing. There's no weakness to exploit here.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hoffman was really bad last night. The demotion isn't the end of the world. Milan has shown he can roll with Turris and Stone so that makes sense. With Hoff playing along Pageau, they can maybe inject some more finish on a line that seems to play a pretty strong possession game but struggles to score 5 on 5. Hoffman might get more opportunities there to handle the pick.

I wish they'd put Lazar back with Pageau though. They work well together.

The big point of optimism for me today is getting Boro off the right side and having Wideman in the lineup. That helps a ton. None of our LDs besides Methot can take a regular shift there while Cowen and Boro just don't have enough puck moving ability to skate together. It's a small change but every bit helps. Even though it's 10 games later than it should have been, the fact that Cameron is using those options should help our possession numbers in the short and long term.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hoff to the 3rd line makes no sense, even from a spreading the offence stance. who's he going to take advantage of? McDonough and Klein will have the Turris Stone 9MM line, Staal and Girardi shut down Ryan and Zibby, and then Hoffman runs rampant over... oh wait, Yandle and Boyle 10 million+ invested in the Rags 3rd pairing. There's no weakness to exploit here.

Yandle and Boyle are MUCH easier to exploit than the other two pairings. Doesn't mean it's open season on them, but by comparison, it's an easier matchup.

Also, if Cameron ups the 3rd line's ice time, I think Hoffman, along with Pageau, could do wonders offensively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DC is thinking again... Too bad. Hoffman has been good I don't see why the change. DC says its for match ups vs NYR. Whatever He must have some idea mustn't he?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Also don't get Puempel over Prince. Prince has been contributing to a greater number of plays in my opinion, with much less time in the top 6 than Puemps gets for some reason.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Also don't get Puempel over Prince. Prince has been contributing to a greater number of plays in my opinion, with much less time in the top 6 than Puemps gets for some reason.

I think it's because Puempel is better defensively & helps that second line defend better than with Prince, Puempel seems to have fit in nicely with that second line & they have started playing better since they put Puempel on that line.

I also like Michalek with Turris & Stone & Hoffman on the 3rd line to get them to be more of an offensive threat. IMO the 4th line has been one of our better lines the last few games & Smith is showing that he does have some offensive skill that this team needs to take advantage of.

On defence I have been saying for a while now they need to sit down Wiercioch as many have said but I would prefer that Cowen play with Wideman & Boro play with Ceci. Boro is proving he can play with anyone & on any pairing although I prefer him with Ceci. Cowen so far has played his best hockey with Wideman & I would like to know why DC didn't play him with Wideman again last game, he just doesn't play as well with anyone else on this roster it seems.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Neither Michalek or Chiasson have an even strength goal yet this season and we're nearly at the quarter pole. Putting Hoffman with Pageau and Chiasson is an attempt to balance the scoring a little.

And you think that it will work?

Prince with JPG and Hoff...
Chiasson for Neil

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Top 3 stories going into the Rangers game this Saturday:

1) Cowen sits out practice today (Friday). Watched practice in street clothes. Wier-Ceci and Boro-Wideman practice as the 2nd and 3rd pairs.
2) Rangers are on a 7-game winning streak, this will be one of the hardest games we've played so far this season.
3) Michalek promoted to 1st line with Turris & Stone. Hoffman playing on the 3rd with Pageau & Chiasson.

4) Not feeling an afternoon game. We know their record!!! :shakehead

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
DC prolly told Cowen that Wier was going in for him. Cowen skated off the ice.
They made up the story about the blocked shot.
I'm saying prolly.

They play with dislocated shoulder and broken ribs but.....never when you're bang up from blocked shot:wally:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's because Puempel is better defensively & helps that second line defend better than with Prince, Puempel seems to have fit in nicely with that second line & they have started playing better since they put Puempel on that line.

I also like Michalek with Turris & Stone & Hoffman on the 3rd line to get them to be more of an offensive threat. IMO the 4th line has been one of our better lines the last few games & Smith is showing that he does have some offensive skill that this team needs to take advantage of.

On defence I have been saying for a while now they need to sit down Wiercioch as many have said but I would prefer that Cowen play with Wideman & Boro play with Ceci. Boro is proving he can play with anyone & on any pairing although I prefer him with Ceci. Cowen so far has played his best hockey with Wideman & I would like to know why DC didn't play him with Wideman again last game, he just doesn't play as well with anyone else on this roster it seems.

Perhaps Cameron is thinking that Hoffman's speed might be better played against Yandle and Boyle, along with Pageau's and Chiasson's speed and hustle. That is the only explanation that makes some sense to me, other than perhaps sending a message to Hoffman to play better if he wants to play on the top two lines.

I do not like Michalek on the top lines as he is not that good anymore. We shall see tomorrow if this tinkering has a positive and long-lasting impact.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Michalek produced in the top 6 last season when MacArthur went down. He was a near PPG player.

Granted, that was when the team was firing on all cylinders which tends to make everybody play/look better.

I don't think it is a terrible idea to try him out and see if he can freeload off of Turris and Stone, while seeing if Hoffman can still create on the third line.

Granted, goal scoring isn't an issue, but the Senators are getting almost no ES scoring outside of their top two lines. Maybe Hoffman on Pageau's wing can change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad